New scam alert!

cymaz

I use BT Cloud and I had a dialogue box open up to say it needed to update. I clicked to install the update and my Avast AV immediately blocked it and quarantined the file saying it was infected with IDP.Generic Trojan, which can nick all your vitals.

This is on a Win10 laptop. In searching for info on it it seem a lot of people have had their machines trashed by this and I've had to delete BT Cloud from my laptop so I would say to everyone to make you have good AV installed.

Apparently AVG catches it as well as Avast.

Frequently get E-mails asking to update my details for security reasons on Ebay, Amazon, Paypal, Santander etc.

These are all scams to get your passwords, phone numbers and anything else that might be of use for these thieves. Obvious one in my case is Santander - I don't have a Santander account.

The latest scam into my in box was another very plausible one purporting to come from Boots (who I did have online dealings with), After completing a customer satisfaction survey , as a reward you were offered three choices at hugely reduced prices (£2 instead of £50) , appealling to peoples liking for an enticing deal. I presume if I had gone ahead they would have got my card details or even into my bank account. The worrying thing they are very convincing on the surface , so much so that is only after sitting back and thinking about it at leisure that you realise what it actually is.

I seem to recall - not many years ago - a senior management figure at a well known bank ending up in court! Apparently she had fallen for one of these scams (send us £XXX to claim your reward) and used clients money!

Caught and punished! (Jail IIRC, as it was a fair amount of money!)

It does make you wonder when supposedly senior and intelligent bankers fall for it. disgust

--

Pete

I've just received an email purportedly from Hobbyking. I haven't opened it and don't intend to. The subject header is "Please Confirm Your Subscription" which sounds odd as HK isn't a club or magazine with an annual payment. If anything needs confirming, no doubt I'll find out the next time I log directly into the HK site, and not before.

Has anyone else received this one? I don't buy much from HK but did buy some small lipos a month or so ago.

I usually replace the phone as soon as I hear an obviously recorded voice. Yesterday I got one saying there was a voice message from a witheld number so I ignored it. When I got it a second time I pressed '1' to hear the message. It was from Severn-Trent advising me that they would be working on the water supply and we may get some discolouration and to run the tap until it cleared.

So they're not all scams

Geoff

Posted by Geoff S on 05/01/2021 11:41:39:

I usually replace the phone as soon as I hear an obviously recorded voice. Yesterday I got one saying there was a voice message from a witheld number so I ignored it. When I got it a second time I pressed '1' to hear the message. It was from Severn-Trent advising me that they would be working on the water supply and we may get some discolouration and to run the tap until it cleared.

So they're not all scams

Geoff

Exactly Geoff

I had a call from the bank and promptly hung up

When they eventually got hold of me, the caller was Genuine.

My Credt Card had been breached and someone was trying to spend £1000s sales which were all Declined.

The card was cancelled, and new card issued.

As you say " Not all communications are scams"

I had a similar call to Denis, bank said my card had been cloned (about 12 yrs ago). Then they wanted my passcode -so I said no. I was told to ring my bank straight away. Fortunately I didn't find my bank phone number for several minutes, if I had rung them straight away then the previous caller had probably not hung up but would have taken the call with a different voice. The genuine bank confirmed that my card had been cloned and stopped it. I'd only used the card twice in the past 9 months, one I could vouch for as honest and one a secondhand car parts company that also had my phone number -but the bank wasn't interested.

Edited By i12fly on 05/01/2021 16:19:56

We had two recorded messages today which were supposed to be from Amazon. They said that an iPad I’d ordered was being dispatched and if the order was incorrect press 1 on the keypad. I’ve heard about that one, an attempt to get addresses and card numbers so I hung up. My wife answered the first call and blocked it, noting the number. I did the same with the second call and both were from numbers starting 0014 followed by 9 digits. Which country has an 0014 code?

Posted by buster prop on 06/01/2021 17:29:11:

... both were from numbers starting 0014 followed by 9 digits. Which country has an 0014 code?

That is most likely a US number. The country code for USA is '1' and their numbers have a 3-digit area code followed by a 7-digit number.

So the '14' you quoted is likely to be the US country code (1) and the first digit of the area code (4) - the remaining 9 digits being the last 2 digits of the area code plus the local number.

0014 is a fake number. There’s a website, fakenumber.org where you can obtain a fake phone number for nefarious purposes rather than using your real one. Obviously not Amazon so if you get one of these calls disregard it. We once had a recorded message from a woman with an American accent pronouncing Amazon as Ama-zon. That was about debiting us £89 for Prime. Also disregarded, an £89 debit did not appear on the next bank statement, I checked.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my first email scam yesterday , I get a good few on the land line but the call blocker normally gets them before I do

The email was from BT on what looked like their standard email format saying that there was a problem with my account and I should log into it using the Link on the botttom of the page . My spelling is not good but I did notice this one ,which got me concerned!

The page looked authentic even with BT registered number and address.

I rang BT who took ages to answer , but they confirmed it was a scam and to forward the email to their Phising Dept

so keep alert chaps

I keep getting messages on my phone but they go to 'missed' and when I check there's nothing there. I just block the numbers. Very few people know my mobile number because I hardly use it (it's a PAYG iPhone 4 I bought on eBay for £30 and I use it mostly as either a calculator or a camera) - it's mainly for emergencies. The signal in my workshop is quite dodgy and zero as often as not.

I assume it's some sort of potential scam but, as my phone doesn't 'know' anything important I'm not bothered - just irritated slightly.

Geoff