Model Flying Clubs and Dogs

I would very much welcome opinions on the following situation at my club.

While I have nothing against dogs in general I do find their presence at my club an annoyance at best and a downright safety liability at worst.

Historically, the owners/directors/presidents of the club have all had dogs and have brought them to the field and this remains to this day. Now, while they (the owners/presidents) have been rightly strict on such things as never flying behind the flight line, etc, their concern doesn’t seem to have stretched to the dangers that their dogs pose to the rest of us every day club members. Numerous times myself and others have gone to fly from the runway only to be molested by a dog chasing the model and such. Only when it is pointed out to the owners do they start calling/shouting at the dog and subsequently tethering it. Then, it’s the same when coming in to land and wondering whether a dog is loose on the field and readying itself to attack your model as it lands which has happened on one occasion, causing slight damage to the model and a bruised nose to the dog. Apart from the obvious dangers it also doesn’t lend itself to having a relaxing flight or even morning/day.

When the obvious is pointed out to the owners they do tend to control their dogs for a while but the following weekend it all seems to be forgotten about and the dogs are more or less left to do their own thing again until one of us says something.

This year we have three or four new members who, having seen the example set by the others are now bringing their dogs too and at times we can now have up to 6 dogs at any one time which to my mind is completely unacceptable. Apart from the safety issue, some of the owners at least, don’t seem to be clearing up after their dogs either.

The difficulty here is finding a way to express to the owners, and especially the two main protaganists, who are both owners/directors of the club, that their dogs should not be anywhere near the flight-line and should be tethered at all times, preferably behind the club house away from models. Or, better still, that their dogs have no place at all at a model flying club at all.

Thoughts, ideas and suggestions very much welcomed and appreciated.

I would not have an issue with dogs on the field provided they were tied up and kept in the pits only with any mess cleaned up. Members at 2 of my old clubs had dogs and this was the setup. It never caused any bother. 

In your case though, if the people in charge are the problem then you seem rather stuck. You can also guarantee they will be the first to point fingers when their pooch gets chopped up by a prop. 

Perhaps frame any complaint in that vein. Dont talk so much about how it annoys you, point out you are worried their dog will get minced? I dont know what to suggest really. 

Agree. Loose dogs are wrong and dangerous. Our club allows dogs on leads but only in the 'no fly' zone behind the safety fence and away from the pits. 

I think you have no choice but to raise it, as it is a serious safety issue, that should be of concern to everyone.  Worst case scenario, join another, safer club.  

3 minutes ago, extra slim said:

Horrendous story at the club I am at, a long time ago of a dog escaping from a members car and chasing a plane with fatal consequences to the dog, and months of very nasty personal blames, with dogs owner never returning. Dogs are a total no no as already said.

It might be an unpopular opinion but if you own the dog, you keep it safe. Unless the model pilot deliberately rammed it, the blame lies with the owner. 

i experienced this myself when operating 1/8 nitro cars in the park with my brothers. We would race around, but the dogs were interested and came to look. We advised one owner to keep the dog away as the cars were fast/heavy and it would get hurt if we came together. They ignored us and thought it great that the dog wore itself out chasing our cars and sat on a bench chatting with another dog person who's dog had also joined in the car chase. We did all we could to avoid them, but as expected one dogs got its legs wiped out by my car. while uninjured the owners decided we were to blame even though we warned them about it. In modern day parlance, 'karen' was very upset her prize pooch got run over and refused to accept any responsibility even though she was warned, and the park in question insisted dogs were on leads anyway and not allowed to run free. As both were ignored i dont really know what she expected. 

8 minutes ago, SIMON CRAGG said:

Trouble is, dog owners can be VERY protective "Love me, love my dog!".

Answer is simple really , love me, love my dog, love another club . 

We are strict about dogs at our club . No dogs . If a member has a problem and has to bring a dog along then it has to be tethered preferably ly away from pits etc

The natural instinct for dogs to chase is unpredictable and can be dangerous. Club owners ? Or Presidents should not be exempt and if they profit from a club then the members voting with their feet should change their outlook and behaviour.. Try tackling them by accusing them of putting the beloved pets at risk ! Possibly a word with an animal protection agency might draw their attention.

Both of my clubs will on occasion have a dog or two around. The owners keep control of the animals and there is not a problem. If at other clubs the situation has got out of hand and dog owners are incapable/unwilling/couldn't care less, then a serious safety issue has come about and changes to club rules (with the usual sanctions for serious safety breaches) must be put in place. I'm not a dog owner so have no direct interest, but I fail to see why club members shouldn't bring well behaved dogs to the field provided they are kept under control and out of the pits and flying area -  either in the car, tethered, or on a lead and under the control of another person.

Our club chairman has a Doberman he brings to the club and (usually) keeps it tied up.  About 3 years ago I was standing looking at the chairman's 1/3 scale Sopwith Camel and the dog bit me on the thigh.  Fortunately I was wearing thick trousers but the bite bruised my leg.   I was not happy but I got the usual "He's never done that before" spiel and I had to let it go.

After almost being killed (though receiving life changing injury) when a cat ran into the front wheel of my bike and my wife has a very strangely shaped collar bone from a similar, entirely separate incident with a cat, you can guess we're not pet fans.  I would never deliberately harm an animal but I do wish owners would realise that not everyone loves their pets and keep them under control.

Geoff

Cannot fathom a dog owner risking any sort of injury to a pet by exposing it to our models.   Utterly selfish and irresponsible.   Unfortunately, there are too many such owners about, probably uninsured, never their/the dog's fault (same thing).   I would attribute it to Darwinism but I like dogs, most of all our 3.

BTC

• Thanks 1

I love dogs but certainly would not want to encourage owners to bring their dogs to our club. 

As many have said safety is the prime concern for both people and the animals. If dogs are present they need to be properly looked after and on leads in a safe area, and not roaming around. Not in pit areas or even worse on the flight line/runway. Tethering a dog might restrain it, but it can also trigger protective and guarding behaviour in some animals,  as mentioned in the earlier post.  

Whilst out jogging I have been bitten twice by "he would not hurt a fly, he's fine off the lead blah blah blah".  I was on a country metalled road, and dogs were off the lead running around in ungated /un fenced gardens. Both occasions not a word of apology. Took them both to no fee solicitors and came out with 3k total. Both had warnings from the police. So if they want to bite me....bring it on!.

28 minutes ago, SIMON CRAGG said:

Whilst out jogging I have been bitten twice by "he would not hurt a fly, he's fine off the lead blah blah blah".  I was on a country metalled road, and dogs were off the lead running around in ungated /un fenced gardens. Both occasions not a word of apology. Took them both to no fee solicitors and came out with 3k total. Both had warnings from the police. So if they want to bite me....bring it on!.

I've had similar whilst cycling.  The most amusing was when I was riding my racing trike (like a full-size bicycle with 700c wheels) on a cycle track in Derby when a dog went for my legs before finding the rear wheels in his way.  Suddenly the position was reversed and I rode towards the dog much to the annoyance of its owner.

I'm of the attitude that if they leave me alone I'll ignore them but many owners don't understand that not everyone wants an animal jumping up to them.

• Like 1

Dam, so my little OS powered motor glider will not be allowed to fly at your site !

Apologies, the subject is quite serious.

When the lad and partner are at work we look after Seren, a brilliant well behaved obedient and clever sheepdog.

I take her for walks etc., good excersize for us both...

But

Let her into our car, it becomes hers. Do you think we can then get in the car ?

She shows all her teeth and growls saying " you get in here and I will rip your throat out !! ".

A lovable dog.

No dogs on a flying site...safety first.

OS pet, remember them ?

1 hour ago, Geoff S said:

I'm of the attitude that if they leave me alone I'll ignore them but many owners don't understand that not everyone wants an animal jumping up to them.

I am of the same attitude some owners can't understand that I do not like dogs jumping up me and leaving mud on me 'but it's only trying to make friends' is what I get.

I hate some dogs and some owners who appear to think their dog has more rights than me. Just keep it away from me as I do not like dogs 'what's wrong with you a strange attitude you have' and all this creates a bad atmosphere which is all my fault according to the dog loving crowd. I pack up and go home when they turn up just to avoid more conflict. 

• Like 2