Autumn's here, who's been flying?

Advert

Very wet underfoot this morning, but mild and with relatively light winds made for an enjoyable morning's flying and ultimately a decent turn out of members. I deliberately avoided flying anything with undercarriage requiring a rolling take off, but it might have been a good day for a floatplane or similar. You have to take these flyable days when they come though and glad that we made the effort.

• Like 1

Looks fantastic Ron. 😎 It unexpectedly turned out quite nice mid morning, nothing like the forecast, before turning horrid as expected by mid afternoon. However that mid morning sunshine tempted me to chuck a battery in one of my wee Volantex 400mm warbirds and give it a chuck around the skies of the garden and next door fields. Guaranteed to bring a smile as the wee Messerschmitt carved up the skies and got chased by a crow for a few seconds. When I landed and took the model back into the workshop I noticed that I'd lost my tailwheel, but I was able to retrace my steps to where the Emil had landed and find the 8mm diameter tailwheel in the grass, right away.

• Like 1

Grumpy, I think you have it, it is not real. I have read all about iy, in the newspapers. In the old days they could add different heads to images, like Jack Nickerson in the "Shinning". Now they can do it via AI, so a unreal sky is created, as in fairy tales. You know, "once upon a time thing".

In the real world, where I live, the gulls walk on the beach, afraid to fly, the sand blast you, the road is covered with sand dunes.. The sky, well, it is indescribable, golf courses closed., as staff have been lost in the quick sand in the bunkers,

Maybe AI will one day become real

Maidened my electric Capiche 50cc today.

IMG_1717.thumb.JPG.cf54bae69852f953183315d2d88e1f26.JPG

IMG_1718.thumb.JPG.d3dfde93401a4d71166cbd952b142bd1.JPG

A bit cold and I had to watch my finger action as I could see the feeling beginning to suffer. see the link below.

https://forums.modelflying.co.uk/index.php?/topic/52940-weston-uk-capiche-50cc-revisited/page/7/&tab=comments#comment-979816

At least I got her down safely after 3 flights 😅

Edited by Adrian Smith 1
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Adrian Smith 1 said:

Maidened my electric Capiche 50cc today.

IMG_1717.thumb.JPG.cf54bae69852f953183315d2d88e1f26.JPG

IMG_1718.thumb.JPG.d3dfde93401a4d71166cbd952b142bd1.JPG

A bit cold and I had to watch my finger action as I could see the feeling beginning to suffer. see the link below.

https://forums.modelflying.co.uk/index.php?/topic/52940-weston-uk-capiche-50cc-revisited/page/7/&tab=comments#comment-979816

At least I got her down safely after 3 flights 😅

electric and 50cc is it a hybrid?

Met up at Epsom Downs today with three other flyers. Took my Top Quark P2 to get in some proper setup flights. The ESC would not initialize and the Spektrum receiver would not bind, despite the transmitter being several meters away. Odd, it was perfectly ok last week and I haven't touched it since. Anyway, I now carry a binding plug in my transmitter battery bay so did a rebind and gave her a flight. After a couple of minutes the model stopped responding to my commands and made its own way to terra firma. Luckily for me I was flying straight and level into wind at around 100ft when control was lost. The failsafe kicked in and everything went to neutral and the motor shut off. She glided at around 10 degrees with the wings remaining level the whole time. Long grass and soft ground meant only the propeller got broken and the cowling a little scuffed. Darned annoying though.

So out came the trusty P1, already with 93 notches on her belt. Around 30 flights ago I'd fitted a Spektrum receiver also. Guess what! The darned ESC would not initialize and the receiver would not bind. So out came the bind plug again. This time the flight was uneventful. But now I'm not trusting my Spektrum gear. The lesson is clear DO NOT BUY RECEIVERS FROM THE BMFA CLASSIFIEDS!!!

Thankfully, a third model did bind normally on powering up and flew fine as usual.

Prototype 2 - Thankfully still with us

IMG_8792b.thumb.jpg.e7e2e77b2e918aef5bd21e2988bc912c.jpg

Edited by Futura57