Impressive full size aircraft displays

Chris Walby

Thx for sharing Chris.

It never ceases to amaze me, how clever / brave full size pilots are!.

Number one, I would never be able to master such a beast as this.

Number two, I would be petrified that one of those wing tips would fold in flight.

I have had a couple of "goes on the sticks" of full size aircraft, (AT6 Texan / Icarus Microlight / glider), and on both occasions it was flying me, not the other way round.

Apart from suffering violent motion sickness (I can feel it now, just writing this), thats probably why I have stuck with RC models for  50 years +!.

The last display by the Vulcan at RAF Brawdy when still in RAF service. Crew just pulled out all the stops, wish I had a video of it.  Low level full power turns looked within the field boundary. Body shaking noise that left every car that had an alarm in the car park going.:classic_biggrin:

4 hours ago, J D 8 said:

The last display by the Vulcan at RAF Brawdy when still in RAF service. Crew just pulled out all the stops, wish I had a video of it.  Low level full power turns looked within the field boundary. Body shaking noise that left every car that had an alarm in the car park going.:classic_biggrin:

My dad used to take me to the Battle of Britain displays at RAF Coltishall during the. 1960s. Half a dozen Vulcans and Victors all demontrating a QRA.......earth shattering racket that really did shake your innards. The unearthly howl from the Victors' Conways at full chat was unforgettable and cannot be reproduced by recordings to anything like the real thing, sadly.

All much closer to the crowd than the flying is today of course.

Edited by Cuban8

Yak-52 at Sleap air show - after his full aerobatic routine the pilot made a full length very low downwind pass down the runway, pulled up into a 45 degree climb, half rolled, lowered his gear into a split-S and landed in one smooth manoeuvre. Gobsmacked.

I only have the very low resolution tiny video clip that I posted of it in the early noughties, years before You Tube was a thing, and where only the smallest of video clips could be put online but you'll get the idea.

5 hours ago, J D 8 said:

I was working at RAF Odiham, probably on the same day as above, when the Vulcan was doing a 'farewell tour' of all of its operational bases. As said, incredible noise / spectacle.

Kim

Mind you, the Starfighter had more wheel area than wing area!🤣

One diverted into Coltishall when I was serving there.  It was so low to the ground that I could stand on the pan and look over the cockpit sill into the cockpit!  Landing at 200 mph+ that close to the ground must have been impressive!

I believe the problem was identified as the fact that Luftwaffe pilots who converted to the F104 in the US in excellent weather.  On returning to Germany they had to deal with a lot more cloud and inclement weather while handling an aircraft with a very high landing speed.   So the epithet widow maker was really a combination of 2 factors.

The Sukhoi 26 was flown at the Farnborough Airshow by a female pilot, probably late 1980s or early 1990s.  She took it up into a prop hang over the runway, then, still in a prop hang, took it down the length of the runway slowly revolving on its longitudinal axis.  The commentator simply said, "Aeroplanes aren't meant to be able to do that". 
I wish I could find a video of it.

On 03/01/2023 at 22:38, J D 8 said:

I was once snorkeling with a mate in the Mediterranean close to the end of the  runway at RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus.

As we swum along the bottom the sky went dark and we could feel vibrations and I thought it was an earthquake.

We surfaced to be looking up the tailpipes of a RAF Vulcan that had just departed right over us.

Bags of black smoke and a deafening roar - unforgettable.

Chris