Adverts

12 minutes ago, Ace said:

On top of an RCM&E subscription - Defiantly a no for me.

Possibly if you don't have a subscription but those already paying for one I feel access should be free as a benefit. With or without adverts ?

That's a good idea. Those who don't subscribe to the magazine could pay an nominal amount to access this forum.

However I suspect even a nominal charge for none subscribers would greatly reduce the viewing/input there by reducing the community to a non viable threshold. Plus a nominal charge makes collection prohibitively expensive, to much and people vote with their feet. 🤔

Paying to access a forum is pretty much guaranteed to cut down dramatically on the active content posters.

I don't have a problem with adverts personally, but the hobbling of multipage threads is a serious issue and surely cannot be intentional. It significantly reduces the usability of the forum.

If you look at these ‘new’ ads they’re not exactly getting direct revenue from them as they are their own ads! However this could be the thin end of the wedge which is what the majority were afraid of when this first happened many months ago. Same thing as before, by all means put ads in the header rail, I could put up with them in the footer too but mid threads is a no-no. But please fix the ‘going back pages’ bug which was probably introduced as a result of these new ad placements.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

But please fix the ‘going back pages’ bug which was probably introduced as a result of these new ad placements.

Exactly the same fault clicking forwards as well 😥, really, really irritating.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andy Stephenson said:

RCG introduced a voluntary enhanced paid for subscription on that forum, which some members found to be of benefit. I found the extras not worth paying for, as most of them were only of use for US users. The site remains free for all others.

I pay £2 a month for a forum, not to use any extra features, but just to support them. 50 pence per week is good value for a few hours entertainment. I'd have got my money's worth out of this forum in just a few weeks for the education I get, for e.g. I learnt to programme my radio here.

Providing the adverts don't become overly intrusive then I have no big objection -  If it helps keep the forum going then that can only be a good thing. Paying to use our forum would kill it stone dead.

I'm rarely influenced by adverts, I pause live TV until they're over, just mute the sound or flick over to a news channel for a few minutes or record particular programmes to view at a more convenient time where I can FF through all the junk.

I'm sure some of the TV channels synchronize their ad breaks to try to get around this.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

I assume we get Ad tracking. Because SWMBO and I share an email address, I tend to get her French adverts and they often have pictures of young ladies with not many clothes on. But not on this site seems to be building work and stuff. Boring.

Using Windows 11, Chrome browser, Duck Duck Go search and adblocker on my PC works fine, no adverts including header but I still get the footer and I can backwards and forwards between pages.

On my Android ipad type thing using Chrome or Duck Duck go browsers I get random adverts including header and footer advert and issues moving between pages.

My Android phone using Chrome has header and footer and random ads but I can go backwards and forwards through the pages

Not sure about Firefox, not tried that yet.