Problem with changing pages in a thread

5 minutes ago, Andy Stephenson said:

I turned off all my plug-ins and it made no difference.

It's clearly a case of the forum now being incompatible with something in some browser software that no other website has a problem with.

How did you get on with an alternative browser such as Edge or Chrome?

5 minutes ago, Andy Stephenson said:

OK so I found Edge buried in an MS menu and tried it with the same results as before so this is now 3 different browsers it happens with...

Firefox

Brave

Edge.

If you start Firefox in safe mode do you experience the same issue? Instructions on how to start Firefox in safe mode at https://www.wikihow.com/Start-Firefox-in-Safe-Mode

1 hour ago, David Ovenden said:

We should NOT have to change browsers or open them in "safe mode just to use the forum.

That's not the intent, it's a process of elimination to try and identify what the blank page issue could be that isn't being experienced by everyone.

Thought I would try and assist as this is an area I have some knowledge in, however it looks like it's going to be more trouble than it's worth so I'll step away.

Edited by PDB
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, PDB said:

That's not the intent, it's a process of elimination to try and identify what the blank page issue could be that isn't being experienced by everyone.

Thought I would try and assist as this is an area I have some knowledge in, however it looks like it's going to be more trouble than it's worth so I'll step away.

There is always some flack online PDB,

Your input is useful if you can continue your investigation

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PDB said:

If you start Firefox in safe mode do you experience the same issue? Instructions on how to start Firefox in safe mode at https://www.wikihow.com/Start-Firefox-in-Safe-Mode

That menu doesn't come up in my version of Firefox and it's the latest most up-to-date one. There is a troubleshoot mode but even this brings up a blank page.

Windows 10 laptop with Firefox, Chrome, or Edge, plus Android mobile with Chrome, all the same - have to refresh the screen to get rid of blank/advert only page when moving backwards or forward through a thread.

Can't find any option to open in 'safe mode' in my version of Firefox, but I can "restart" in Trouble shoot mode which is supposed to disable all add-ons. Unfortunately that doesn't get rid of the blank/advert page when paging back or forward through a thread.

Dick

No problems with page changes etc. on either my iPhone (Safari browser) or laptop using W10 and Firefox.

I do get the adverts of course; between the first and second post on each page of each thread. Although some are definitely Morton’s own ads most are generated by Google as they have the little blue triangle and X symbols in the top RH corner, and are for completely random items and services.

Hopefully somebody at Morton’s will add to the comments above, they are probably all off on their Easter breaks at the moment.

Brian.

Frankly this forum is nearly unusable now due to this problem - another few days of this and it won't be being used by many of the stalwarts who have made it what it is  ( interesting and worthwhile! )

Needs fixing!

I am on BT with Windows 10 and Firefox but interestingly I didn't get the problem at first when others did.  For some few weeks now the forum has taken a few minutes to start up for some unknown reason - has anyone else experienced that?

Edited by kc
  • Like 1

Just for information, not to be controversial, I'm using Win 10 on a 8 year old PC, and I can scroll through pages 1-to the last page and back through them without a problem, if that is what is being referred to. 

I also get the odd advert half way down a thread or so, but that doesn't bother me. If the alternative to adverts is paying a few pounds per month, I can live with the adverts- not because I don't value the site, but because it is just the same as a dozen or so I visit, like Pprune, NewsThump, etc.

eta- I've just flicked back and fro through the 2 pages of this thread- there is one advert per page, which I am so used to online , I just ignore them.

Edited by paul devereux

20 minutes ago, paul devereux said:

Just for information, not to be controversial, I'm using Win 10 on a 8 year old PC, and I can scroll through pages 1-to the last page and back through them without a problem, if that is what is being referred to. 

Yes, that is what is being referred to.

For the benefit of those who don't have the problem - if I click on "PREV" or any other page number in a thread it just takes me to a page that is either blank or has a single advert (depending on browser). The only way out of that "blank" page is to refresh the screen and then I get to where I wanted to go. I have to do that every time I change pages in a thread.

I can live with adverts part way down a page, but having to refresh each page jump is annoying and likely to be a fault.

Dick

9 minutes ago, Mick Cass said:

I am using Windows 10 and Edge on Talktalk, and have had no problems at all, despite trying to replicate the problems a lot of you seem to be having.

I suspect only a small number of people are having this problem (people who don't experience it won't post about it, obviously). That's not to minimize how annoying it must be, ofc.

43 minutes ago, paul devereux said:

I suspect only a small number of people are having this problem

I doubt that very much, but even if only 1 person reports a fault (bug)it still needs looking into which I’ve got no doubt will be done when dev get back to work.

Still struggling to reproduce the problem on PC and iPhone - it's not affecting me logged in as a standard user and from Edge instead of my usual Firefox on W10 home.  I've also tried logging on fromanAndroidphone. 

It might help the forum developers if those interested post some details of their operating systems, browsers, ISPs and any add-ons such as antivirus software and ad blockers used.  I use AVG Free.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Still struggling to reproduce the problem on PC and iPhone - it's not affecting me logged in as a standard user and from Edge instead of my usual Firefox on W10 home.  I've also tried logging on fromanAndroidphone. 

It might help the forum developers if those interested post some details of their operating systems, browsers, ISPs and any add-ons such as antivirus software and ad blockers used.  I use AVG Free.

If it also helps to get details of people without problems: I have no problems, use a PC with Win 10 and Edge, and use Malwarebytes Free and Edge's own built-in MS security.