RC Modeller banned from flying on his own land

Nice one Phil, proactive police makes a nice change !

Jon, you forgot crossing the road.

Hi GG,

So by over you meant to say "for more than"...

I did say twice I was not having a go at anybody.

I will repeat, I am not having a go at anyone.

Wording has to be sooooo precise, unambiguouse, can only mean one thing and taken one way, on forums, as half of the "communication" like your faceial expression, body language, audio, tone of voice, emphasis, is missing, making the true meaning, intent etc. a bit difficult to understand, interprate, comprehend, sometimes.

Apologies for the incorrect spelling, let's hope this phones predictive text doesn't alter my words.

When I read the posts I can only hear my voice in my head.

Sometimes the words can be misinterpreted...

Humble apologies if you got a little upset but I can only read the words you write.

So Motorcross noise for more than the two hours mentioned would make you react, react the right way in my opinion, as you have pointed out, by making your annoyance known, ramp up a bit if taken no notice of, and as a final resort, complain to the authorities. The common sense approach to my mind.

Apply that logic to aeromodeling noise.

Aeromodeling noise is music to my ears, Motocross noise even more so, in fact, I would get a Motocross bike and join in !

One rule for all of us not just the rule that suits us.

Live and let live, within reason.

So glad you like a 4t ic model engine, I would like one, and will have one eventually.

Angry bee's, Cox ones hopefully.

My td09 when running can be heard in the next village, Which is why I will be modifying an effective silencer to fit the engine.

Love, peace and harmony, safe flying is no accident and stay safe out there.

Remember I am not having a go at anybody, just expressing my opinion, just like you guys.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Hi again GG,

Just re read your second reply and I think I am in full agreement with you. You come across as a reasonable guy, same as myself I hope, a fellow aeromodeller.

Respectfully yours,

rich.

Edited by Rich Griff
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

Wording has to be sooooo precise, unambiguouse, can only mean one thing and taken one way, on forums, as half of the "communication" like your faceial expression, body language, audio, tone of voice, emphasis, is missing, making the true meaning, intent etc. a bit difficult to understand, interprate, comprehend, sometimes.

Don’t forget that you can use smilies to good effect.  😉

• Like 2

🏍️Nice one Phil, proactive police makes a nice change !

Hi GG,

Apologies for the incorrect spelling, let's hope this phones predictive text doesn't alter my words.

Humble apologies if you got a little upset but I can only read the words you write.

So Motorcross noise for more than the two hours mentioned would make you react, react the right way in my opinion, as you have pointed out, by making your annoyance known, ramp up a bit if taken no notice of, and as a final resort, complain to the authorities. The common sense approach to my mind.

Aeromodeling noise is music to my ears, Motocross noise even more so, in fact, I would get a Motocross bike and join in !

So glad you like a 4t ic model engine, I would like one, and will have one eventually.

My td09 when running can be heard in the next village, Which is why I will be modifying an effective silencer to fit the engine.

Remember I am not having a go at anybody, just expressing my opinion, just like you guys.🏍️👍❤️🛩️✈️☮️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

• Like 1

We, as people who actually like model flying, should go out of our way to stress it is fun, not dangerous. I honesty felt when I first read the article in the Mail that someone here had dobbed me in - it fitted my profile so perfectly- same age, own land, near to my house- why we do we keep banging on about how awful model flying is? Our local rec is dedicated to cricket now its summer-no one keeps on about how dangerous cricket balls to the noggin are.

Oh well, I'm a newbie, what do I know, if you want to shoot yourselves down, get on with it.

Edited by paul devereux

1 hour ago, paul devereux said:

We, as people who actually like model flying, should go out of our way to stress it is fun, not dangerous

With that attitude you should design and build subs and run trips to visit Titanic. 

I have been doing this for over 30 years and i wouldnt keep flying if i didnt like it. The hobby is fun, but it is also dangerous. These are the facts of the matter and no amount of hysteria on your part will alter them. The reason dangers are discussed and not buried is because they are much easier to guard against when you know about them. Once you know about them and have procedures in place to defend against them you end up with the low incident rate we currently enjoy. The risk then is complacency, so we keep bringing up the topic to remind everyone. 

I cant begin to fathom why you find these concepts so difficult to grasp. 

Once again though, the case of your op was noise/politics and not safety. Why are you still banging on about it? 

why we do we keep banging on about how awful model flying is?

We dont. You keep twisting what is said to support your own narrative. 

Oh well, I'm a newbie, what do I know

Not enough, please just give it a rest. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

We, as people who actually like model flying, should go out of our way to stress it is fun, not dangerous. I honesty felt when I first read the article in the Mail that someone here had dobbed me in - it fitted my profile so perfectly- same age, own land, near to my house- why we do we keep banging on about how awful model flying is? Our local rec is dedicated to cricket now its summer-no one keeps on about how dangerous cricket balls to the noggin are.

Oh well, I'm a newbie, what do I know, if you want to shoot yourselves down, get on with it.

Don't buy a chuck glider or slope soarer Paul, you have trouble letting things go.

As the man above says "Give it a rest". please.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

The hobby is fun, but it is also dangerous.

I agree with all that you have written Jon, except I would probably insert the word ‘potentially’ in front of dangerous. Just my opinion.

As regards the original point of the thread, 2 acres isn’t a large area as far as flying models is concerned. If it were a square plot it would be 100 yards square. Small indoor-type models would be ok but anything much larger would be difficult to keep within the area, and that’s not even taking into account the 30 metre distance required relative to uninvolved persons (eg the neighbours). That doesn’t give you much to play with with a plot that has buildings or gardens adjacent to it.

A 2 acre field away from houses etc. would be different if course.

Brian.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RottenRow said:

I agree with all that you have written Jon, except I would probably insert the word ‘potentially’ in front of dangerous. Just my opinion.

As regards the original point of the thread, 2 acres isn’t a large area as far as flying models is concerned. If it were a square plot it would be 100 yards square. Small indoor-type models would be ok but anything much larger would be difficult to keep within the area, and that’s not even taking into account the 30 metre distance required relative to uninvolved persons (eg the neighbours). That doesn’t give you much to play with with a plot that has buildings or gardens adjacent to it.

A 2 acre field away from houses etc. would be different if course.

Brian.

2 acres is 2 football pitches 

4 hours ago, paul devereux said:

We, as people who actually like model flying, should go out of our way to stress it is fun, not dangerous.

I couldn't agree more, it is great fun and is very safe, the statistics back this up.

However it is very safe because we have developed procedures and 'best practice' to ensure it is so.

• Like 24

2 hours ago, Andy Symons - BMFA said:

I couldn't agree more, it is great fun and is very safe, the statistics back this up.

However it is very safe because we have developed procedures and 'best practice' to ensure it is so.

If the guy was a BMFA member was this something you could have assisted with? your visit with us 12 months ago was very helpful.

9 hours ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

Don't buy a chuck glider or slope soarer Paul, you have trouble letting things go.

As the man above says "Give it a rest". please.

You're right, I'll let it go! This is my very last word.

I originally got my back up because I said we can legally fly HZ Champs (weight 105gms) in rec areas if the by-laws allow it. And we can- the CAA use the word "toy" to describe them, and my local authority expressly says you can fly them- subject to certain conditions.

But I was attacked by several posters saying I was wrong. I'm not.

Now, I wouldn't recommend someone learning to fly one in a rec, not just because that would contravene the local regs, but because it wouldn't be safe. But if someone can fly and wanted to practise, (I was responding to @toto) there is nothing wrong with it. You would just have to exercise the normal safety precautions people use with toy buggies, toy drones, exercising dogs, flying kites , playing ball games or whatever.

One of our recs is known for flying activities (400mm war birds mostly) and the public, if they have anything to say, approve and say positive things.

Now some members here may disapprove, that's fine, they wouldn't do it themselves. What I objected to was the general outcry about danger etc- which is why I say we are our own worst enemy when it comes to PR.

I expect several people reading this are feeling incensed with anger at the idea of someone enjoying safely flying a small plane in a park- well, my advice would be to keep it to themselves- such opinions do nothing for the hobby in the general public's view.

Just as well I didn't mention I'm visually impaired.

7 hours ago, Andy Symons - BMFA said:

I agree 100%, of course I'm not anti-safety.I may have posted because I was feeling a bit angry at the response I was getting- a lot of people fly in public places (slope soarers for example) and I would hate for them to have their harmless hobby curtailed by the people who say we should only fly on a club field. A slope soarer wouldn't work there, and it would also be pointless driving 30mins to have few minutes flying a little Champ if you have some open land next to your house.

On 03/07/2023 at 16:25, Rich Griff said:

🏍️Nice one Phil, proactive police makes a nice change !

Hi GG,

Remember I am not having a go at anybody, just expressing my opinion, just like you guys.🏍️👍❤️🛩️✈️☮️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

I've posted the plans, no charge like I said, just glad they are going to a good home!

10 hours ago, RottenRow said:

As regards the original point of the thread, 2 acres isn’t a large area as far as flying models is concerned.

I fly off of 1.79 acres (it was on the deeds) surrounded by a 4 foot fence. It is tight but doable, as a Wot 4 foam-e turns on a sixpence. Of course when you have got some height you can stretch your flight a bit. The fences mean I have had to practise with landing, I clipped a fence once and tore off the u/c so I am always prepared to go around. I aim to touch down a few metres in front of me. I'm only practising in my field until I get good enough to join a club. My medium-term aim is to build and fly a WW1 warbird, maybe the Airco pusher or a BH2, about 4 or 5 foot span. To my mind, the WW1 aircraft are perfect, a bridge between pioneer flight and modern flight, and they look so good!

Thanks Paul, very appreciative, I will pm you when they arrive.

Ww1 type planes, big aeromodels really. I like your choise and have often thought of making one.

That plane, made from a kit or plan ?

I probably have a mag article of that model subject but it's bound to be on outerzone.

Are outrunner electric motors equally viable for a pusher type application, thrust reversal, pusher rather than "puller", tractor ?

I do not know so if I was to consider using one I would have to check, by asking on here I suppose, or asking George at 4max.

Anyways I will look thru my mags etc. to see if I have info/plans for that model and give you some feedback. One good turn deserves another is the saying If I am correct.

Stay safe out there.

Retinopathy test today for me.

9 hours ago, paul devereux said:

I agree 100%, of course I'm not anti-safety.I may have posted because I was feeling a bit angry at the response I was getting- a lot of people fly in public places (slope soarers for example) and I would hate for them to have their harmless hobby curtailed by the people who say we should only fly on a club field. A slope soarer wouldn't work there, and it would also be pointless driving 30mins to have few minutes flying a little Champ if you have some open land next to your house.

|I'd be interested to see where exactly anyone has said that you should only fly at a club field. I certainly haven't seen that being posted on this forum.

• Like 1