CAA Call for Input: Review of UK UAS Regulations Aug 2023

MattyB

Ok here we go.  Google Wisk Aero and look for their Cora aircraft.  Registration N307 XZ.   It was demod at oshkosh and is....a fully autonomous electric vtol airtaxi.   Coming to airspace near you soon...

Actually, its a damned good idea and i hope our childrens generation get it right, but it will gobble up airspace like a labrador in a cake shop.

16943345904504448685115722468532.jpg

The trouble with all of these ideas is that they are deliberately presented in the best light with lists of 'advantages' and of course, the touchstone catch all of greenness, net zero blah blah blah.

I'm pleased to see that the drone that delivered the defibrillator to the man in distress was successful, but of course not all emergencies will be lucky enough to have a doctor that happens to be nearby to assist. 

Nobody wants to see good ideas or worthwhile and practical advancements stifled at birth, but there's too much hype and marketing of many flakey ideas that are fine under experimental or test conditions, but would be no good in most real world situations. The old Tomorrows World TV series is littered with such dross, but of course, they did get quite a bit right, so it's not a new phenomenon.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cuban8 said:

The trouble with all of these ideas is that they are deliberately presented in the best light with lists of 'advantages' and of course, the touchstone catch all of greenness, net zero blah blah blah.

I'm pleased to see that the drone that delivered the defibrillator to the man in distress was successful, but of course not all emergencies will be lucky enough to have a doctor that happens to be nearby to assist. 

Nobody wants to see good ideas or worthwhile and practical advancements stifled at birth, but there's too much hype and marketing of many flakey ideas that are fine under experimental or test conditions, but would be no good in most real world situations. The old Tomorrows World TV series is littered with such dross, but of course, they did get quite a bit right, so it's not a new phenomenon.

The whole point of a defibrillator is that it is simple to use and can be used by members of the public who don't have any medical experience. Our club recently bought one and the guy that we bought it off (trained paramedic) came and gave a talk on the use of it and also general first aid that may come in usdeful in a flying field environment. In fact during the talk he showed us the very same video of the drone delivered defibrillator.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, David Elam said:

The whole point of a defibrillator is that it is simple to use and can be used by members of the public who don't have any medical experience. Our club recently bought one

Will it jump start a car, can you plug the coffee machine and field charger into it ?.

So how long would it take to get the defibrillator to the model club, first has your phone got a signal, then how long to get the controller on the other end to write, who, what, where and when, then send the information to the right people, program the drone, get the authorizations to send it, clear the airspace for it, and only then weather permitting will it fly, and what distance ?.

Not forgetting the Hoax calls to steal it.

Nothing to do with us in the UK, but just seen that the 'deadline' for RID in the USA has been postponed for 6 months.

https://www.faa.gov/newsroom/faa-extends-remote-id-enforcement-date-six-months

As discussed earlier in the thread, delay in processing applications for approved sites and introduction of RID electronic packages being cited as the reason

Kim

9 minutes ago, Kim Taylor said:

Nothing to do with us in the UK, but just seen that the 'deadline' for RID in the USA has been postponed for 6 months.

https://www.faa.gov/newsroom/faa-extends-remote-id-enforcement-date-six-months

As discussed earlier in the thread, delay in processing applications for approved sites and introduction of RID electronic packages being cited as the reason

Kim

Indeed. Fairly predictable, but it does put operators in an "interesting" position in relation to insurance; whilst the CAA have said they won't enforce the law, my understanding is that the change has been made and technically people are obligated to install a (currently nearly non-existent) RID modules. Could insurers use that as a get-out-paying-free card were you to have an accident that resulted in a claim? Xjet certainly thought so in his last video. It must worry commercial part 107 operators whose livelihoods are reliant on legal flying and being insured.

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Did the video say the guy received his hand soap? How pathetic. Lazy so and so. If it brings his toilet paper will it wipe for him too. The human race is crazy. Instant gratification gone mad. Completely unnecessary for the masses. Medical emergencies maybe, but we are going to have to suffer these parasitic craft buzzing around. Just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should. No, I'm not a fan - pun intended.

• Like 1

One item on the lunch time news did make be laugh instead of getting depressed,  and that was................Yes, that old chestnut,  Amazon are to start Drone Deliveries in the UK........again......tests to start at the end of next year at a secret location (why all the secrecy, one wonders?).

I think we've heard all of this before from big A, they clearly feel they need the publicity. 

Ordered  a fan heater from them yesterday morning and it was with me later on in the evening  - all the fuss with drones for Amazon is a puzzle to me.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, aidan mcatamney said:

Sad times for our hobby if these greedy people get their way.  All they see is money regardless of saturating our skies with drones.  

I'm thinking maybe a small barrage balloon 100ft above my property. Might bring one down. Just need to design a model to use all those motors.

• Like 1

I supect the latest news from Amazon about upcoming drone delivery drones is yet another example of a 'mania'. Started with canals in the 18th century, continued with railways in the 19th century. The next mania was flying in the first third of the 20th century. Then we had the .com bubble |(mania) in the 1980-90's. Now its drone delivery mania. The only common denominators that link all the previous manias were that some people thought it was a way to untold wealth most were disapponted. The other thing that links those earlier manias is that they have provided a leisure activity for groups of enthusiasts. So hang on in there we will become the next popular leisure acitvity. Oh wait a moment..... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Futura57 said:

I'm thinking maybe a small barrage balloon 100ft above my property. Might bring one down. Just need to design a model to use all those motors.

I'm more inclined to look for an extension  of the Bols advocaat challenge. I'll leave it to those field sports enthusiasts to explain what the Bols Advocaat challenge involves.😁

• Like 1