I am thinking of moving with the times and buying a RadioMaster transmitter

I have owned a Spektrum DX9 for nine years. I accidentally dropped it onto our tarmac runway yesterday breaking the carrying handle and aerial cover. I've managed to glue the handle and cover back into place but the transmitter is starting to look a bit scruffy now so perhaps I ought to think in terms of replacing it.

Most of my models are simple four channel sports jobs plus a few vintage models so I doubt that I'll ever use sixteen channels however, I was given an electric foamie B17 which has flaps, retracts and an functioning bomb bay so the extra channels will come in handy for that once I get round to assembling it.

I'm a bit of a computer phobe but I've watched the programming of RadioMaster transmitters on YouTube and it doesn't seem all that daunting. However, I have no idea of the meaning of the technical language such as: Transmitter module: Option 1: Internal 4-in-1 multi-protocol module (CC2500 CYRF6936 A7105 NRF2401)ï¼' Option 2: Internal ELRS (SX1280). What does this all mean?

Certainly the TX16s Mark II looks excellent value for money compared to Spektrum transmitters.

Is there anything I should be aware of before buying this transmitter?

Would a FrSky transmitter be a better option?

5 minutes ago, David Davis 2 said:

Certainly the TX16s Mark II looks excellent value for money compared to Spektrum transmitters.

I'd suggest handling one first,  I found it too heavy and due to it's large size and my small hands reaching the switches difficult.

That's just me though as they are very popular at the field.

3 minutes ago, David Davis 2 said:

Transmitter module: Option 1: Internal 4-in-1 multi-protocol module (CC2500 CYRF6936 A7105 NRF2401)ï¼'

This is the option you want. It will run most mainstream RF protocols including your DSM2/DSMX receivers.

The operating system is most likely Open Tx or Edge Tx. Different mind set to the more prescriptive Specky programming.

FrSky might be an option but they will be running FrSky RF protocols so will need to replace all your rxs or get a module to run your Specky rxs. This will most likely need to a multi protocol module because later FrSky Txs have the "lite" module bay and there is not, I believe, a dedicated DSM2/X module in that format. The older designs have the full size JR bay but again the Specky module is DSM2. If you want DSMX capabillity I think you will have to go with the Lemon module.

I have a TX16S with multi protocol board and an ELRS module in the bay.

Your MPM board will allow you to bind with a wide selection of other brands including Spektrum. If you get an optional ELRS module you`ll be able to use ELRS Rx which are very reliable  and cheap.

I've had a Radiomaster TX16S Mk1 for a couple or 3 years now. Not had any problem with it at all.

It certainly needs a bit of use of the little grey cells to work through its functions but there are numerous YouTube videos on the how-to. 

The 4 in 1 module (MPM - multie protocol module) is the one to go for if you want to keep your Spectrum dsm/etc receivers. Also will operate a varied number of other makes.

Stay away from the Radiomaster standard receivers as they have a mixed history ?

Hi David,

I have a TX16S mk2 with the multi protocol option. I've had it about 18 months, with generally positive experiences. Here's a snapshot:

• I like the feel of it. I went for the CNC gimbals, and they feel of decent quality. I went from a 9CAP futaba, and didn't feel like I'd taken a step backwards. The throttle ratchet is very soft on mine; it can be adjusted, but needs the case opening. I'll do it one day...
  • I like the Edge TX operating system. Some people struggle, but that can be said of most systems. I find it quite logical, although it has so much power some thing inevitably can be harder to locate. 
  • Less good is that I have had some range issues. I bought radiomaster R88 receivers when I bought the transmitter, and by all accounts, these are not great. However, I have had spurious issues, and one directly attributed to poor range (model went into failsafe) at only 100m from the transmitter. This was on a Frsky clone (now in the bin). It would appear that the FrSky transmission is taken care of by the CC2500 chip, and this appears to have a slightly lower output than is ideal. I have since added an external module for Frsky, and the problem appears to have gone. But to be clear, on DSM (or whichever spectrum protocol I have!), there have been no issues.
  • Support from Mike at Hobby RC has been excellent
  • Similarly, Mike Blandford on here has been incredibly helpful

Would I buy another one? That's tricky David, because all things are not equal, and we end up down a particular road due to our choices of receiver. If i was committed to all FrSky, probably not. I'd go for an X20. But as an option across many protocols, I probably would, although I would use a module for FrSky to avoid the internal CC2500 chip. Modules are very cheap though, and dead easy to use in the software.

I hope that helps

Graham

• Like 1

If ur current radio is a DX9 and you want to move with the times ,, upgrade to a NX 6, 8 or 10 and stick with Spektrum... I recently moved up to the NX8 from my DX7S... NO WAY wud I trust  RadioMaster seen to many people have planes and helis pile them self into the ground in a mad attempt to dig their way to Australia.. 2 within the last few months who were flying on Radiomaster.. also over the years seen the same happen with Taranis , Flysky & FrSky transmitters

Edited by GaryW
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, PDB said:

I'd suggest handling one first,  I found it too heavy and due to it's large size and my small hands reaching the switches difficult.

That's just me though as they are very popular at the field.

I take it that is the TX16S you are talking about. I don't disagree that it would be too big for some, but they have other TXs too that are smaller (the TX-12 and Boxer) that all feature the same RF functionality and programming (e.g., way more than any mainstream brand mid-range set), so this is not really an issue any more. 

UK Supplier HobbyRC - https://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/radio-transmitters

• Boxer
  • TX12 v2 (only seems to be available in ELRS form these days though, so probably won't suit the OP)
Edited by MattyB

1 hour ago, GaryW said:

If ur current radio is a DX9 and you want to move with the times ,, upgrade to a NX 6, 8 or 10 and stick with Spektrum... I recently moved up to the NX8 from my DX7S... NO WAY wud I trust  RadioMaster seen to many people have planes and helis pile them self into the ground in a mad attempt to dig their way to Australia.. 2 within the last few months who were flying on Radiomaster.. also over the years seen the same happen with Taranis , Flysky & FrSky transmitters

29 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

It’s always easier to blame the radio gear rather than dumb thumbs. 

Indeed. The only common link I've seen between RF "failures" is in the humans in charge of them - those people who actually take the time to understand their kit, read the instructions and install (and power) their setups almost never have problems. Those who don't often have a failure on one brand, bad mouth it to all and sundry, then have a similar issue on their new transmitter. Strange huh... 🧐

PS - OP @David Davis 2, don't forget the added advantage of all the challenger brands like Frsky, Radiomaster Jumper is that RF and RX battery telemetry is built into all the RXs pretty much as standard, so if you have done a poor install or something has gone awry with your power supply, the TX will chirp to let you know automatically.

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

I've been using a FrSky Taranis or Taranis plus since before 2014 and not had any radio problems. I'm just moving to a FrSky X20.

All electronics, and the associated firmware, can suffer from failure, and with the number of transmitters in use, all makes are likely to have a few problems. The more transmitters of any particular make are in use, then there is a greater likelihood of a transmitter of that make having a problem.

Mike

• Like 2

In your place I'd maybe start looking at finding a lightly used DX9. There was one on the next table to mine at the swapmeet yesterday - I should have asked what the chap wanted for it, because I could certainly use a spare, but it would have to be an early one, due to the number of legacy receivers that I have got.

25 minutes ago, MattyB said:

I take it that is the TX16S you are talking about. I don't disagree that it would be too big for some, but they have other TXs too that are smaller (the TX-12 and Boxer) that all feature the same RF functionality and programming (e.g., way more than any mainstream brand mid-range set), so this is not really an issue any more. 

UK Supplier HobbyRC - https://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/radio-transmitters

• Boxer
  • TX12 v2 (only seems to be available in ELRS form these days though, so probably won't suit the OP)

Yes the TX16S I was referring too, tried a Boxer but the build quality on the example I had was poor. Ended up with a Taranis QX7S which is working well for me and I use a Pocket for slope soaring.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

It’s always easier to blame the radio gear rather than dumb thumbs. 

just it is in the same way to more commonly  blame pilot error than equipment failure I guess there Ron

It's not going to help David, or indeed anyone else considering brand swaps if we get into the 'xxx brand has more failures than yyy brand' argument. I have been very careful to avoid that when trying to resolve my own issues, as apparent radio reliability is a very complex issue. I don't believe the Radiomaster gear to be unreliable. Similarly, there are limitless ways to demolish a model aircraft, so best keep this to the point!

Graham

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I moved from Spektrum to a Taranis X9D about 4 years ago, mainly on a cost basis. Seemingly orders of magnitude more functionality and capability than the Spektrum; I also invested in an external iRange multi-protocol module so I could use my existing receivers, and take advantage of other manufacturers equipment. The quality felt as good as the Spekky to me.

Getting my head around OpenTx wasn't difficult for the basics, and the wizards worked well. Once the concepts sink in, more complex stuff (for me!) is easy too.

I used it for approaching 2000 flights with various receivers and types of model, with absolutely no hardware or software issues.

When I dropped it and broke a switch, I decided I really needed a backup in case I trashed it, so I got a Radiomaster TX16S. Initially, while I was copying and 'tweaking' the models, I found it more plasticcy than the Taranis, and less comfortable in my small hands.  But after I'd used it once or twice, it became my primary radio.

In approaching 3000 flights, I've experienced no hardware or software issues in gliders, leccy models, glow models, petrol models, helicopters. I use rx from Radiomaster, FrSky (and clones), Spektrum DSM2 and DSMX (and clones), FlySky, Futaba, TopRC. All have performed faultessly.

It's now been upgraded to EdgeTx.  Using that, and the PC-based software (Companion) is a little easier than OpenTx, and the touchscreen makes minor tweaks at the field easy.

I love it, and can't imagine using the more restrictive (to my mind) proprietary operating systems of other mainstream manufacturers. Similarly, I can't imagine spending 10 times the price to get the same functionality or capability.  To my mind, if they were as unreliable as others suggest, they wouldn't be so popular, as reputations get trashed easily these days.

As ever, if you can get your hands on one to see what it feels like......... 

"No radio reputations were trashed, or maligned during the typing of this post" 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I fly exclusively with a TX16s. When I got it, I was the only person at our club using one. Now pretty much everyone has switched over - mainly from Spektrum. Bear in mind that although the programming is “different”, once you’ve got one four channel model working you can simply copy it to create a new model - you just tweak that one to suit the new model. In my case reversing channels is usually the only thing required. Adding a new plane takes a few minutes. A few people at the club struggle with the difference in programming - I volunteer to add models for them and it’s never taken me very long. 
Good luck whatever you decide to get!

Edited by Lipo Man
Punctuation!
  • Like 1

Can't say I've seen many bad words from anyone that has actually owned a Radiomaster.  Either:

a) they are very satisfied OR

b) they aren't, but keep quiet.

To be fair, haven't heard bad words about FrSky (incl Taranis) or FlySky either, and the club has a few of these..... 

Edited by GrumpyGnome
  • Like 1

I've had my Radiomaster TX16s, 4 in 1 for a couple of years now, it was originally intended as a backup for my Hitec Aroura 9 but it has now become my main radio. So far no problems with the radio just a steep learning curve with Edge Tx. I mainly use Lemon receivers for aeroplanes and Flysky for my boats.

Fantastic radio for under £200 that wouldn't even buy a Spektrum 6 channel transmitter.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, David Davis 2 said:

I came from a Taranis, and before that a Multiplex P4000 and Cockpit Sx on 35 MHz. I bought a TX16S because of the multi mode capability. Many have trouble free service from their TX16S's and apart from the antenna articulation joint breaking, so have I.

I am, however, phasing it's retirement from my models due to a loss of confidence. I fly the odd foamy with it, but that's all. Shame, as I love OpenTx and it's capability. I still fly the aged Taranis however have moved to a European brand for my expensive stuff.

All we punters have is anecdotes, and here are the ones that led to my decision.

1) One of my clubmates crashed a couple of models. We were checking his transmitter in the clubhouse and I saw with my own eyes how the channel outputs failed to respond correctly to the inputs. He was advised by the supplier this was probably an issue with the ribbon cable connection. He obtained and installed a new ribbon cable and as far as I know it's been OK since.

2) I watched an expensive model of one of our better fliers on finals roll uncommanded into a tree and become a total loss. 3) Fair play to him, he put a foamy up straight away and it flew OK, however upon landing, experienced uncommanded full power on the electric motor and collided with another member's model. He was advised by the supplier it was probably one of a couple of things, however chose to retire it.

In a club of about 30, with a handful using the TX16S, those don't seem great odds.

When reading stories of problems in RCgroups, for example, or watching on YouTube, one never really knows whether the reporting is accurate, or whether the competency of the operators was the cause - as alluded earlier in this thread. One may read that anything can fail, and qualitatively, that's true. Quantitatively, the industry has data on warranty claims and parts sales however that data is denied to us punters. So taking in to account what I saw, I made my choice.

I didn't feel lucky enough.

3 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

I moved from Spektrum to a Taranis X9D about 4 years ago, mainly on a cost basis. Seemingly orders of magnitude more functionality and capability than the Spektrum; I also invested in an external iRange multi-protocol module so I could use my existing receivers, and take advantage of other manufacturers equipment. The quality felt as good as the Spekky to me.

Getting my head around OpenTx wasn't difficult for the basics, and the wizards worked well. Once the concepts sink in, more complex stuff (for me!) is easy too.

I used it for approaching 2000 flights with various receivers and types of model, with absolutely no hardware or software issues.

When I dropped it and broke a switch, I decided I really needed a backup in case I trashed it, so I got a Radiomaster TX16S. Initially, while I was copying and 'tweaking' the models, I found it more plasticcy than the Taranis, and less comfortable in my small hands.  But after I'd used it once or twice, it became my primary radio.

In approaching 3000 flights, I've experienced no hardware or software issues in gliders, leccy models, glow models, petrol models, helicopters. I use rx from Radiomaster, FrSky (and clones), Spektrum DSM2 and DSMX (and clones), FlySky, Futaba, TopRC. All have performed faultessly.

It's now been upgraded to EdgeTx.  Using that, and the PC-based software (Companion) is a little easier than OpenTx, and the touchscreen makes minor tweaks at the field easy.

I love it, and can't imagine using the more restrictive (to my mind) proprietary operating systems of other mainstream manufacturers. Similarly, I can't imagine spending 10 times the price to get the same functionality or capability.  To my mind, if they were as unreliable as others suggest, they wouldn't be so popular, as reputations get trashed easily these days.

As ever, if you can get your hands on one to see what it feels like......... 

"No radio reputations were trashed, or maligned during the typing of this post" 

That's a great summary GG. I've had a TX16S for a couple of years, but haven't gone beyond switching it on a couple of times. If I were to bite the bullet, would you say I'd be better off immediately updating the software/firmware to Edge TX and Companion and not bothering to dip a toe into OpenTX, of which I have zero experience. My expectation would be to be able to use a collection of DSM, DSM-2, DSMX and Frsky receivers with the multi-protocol module that is fitted.

49 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

That's a great summary GG. I've had a TX16S for a couple of years, but haven't gone beyond switching it on a couple of times. If I were to bite the bullet, would you say I'd be better off immediately updating the software/firmware to Edge TX and Companion and not bothering to dip a toe into OpenTX, of which I have zero experience. My expectation would be to be able to use a collection of DSM, DSM-2, DSMX and Frsky receivers with the multi-protocol module that is fitted.

My Taranis QX7S runs OpenTX, my Radiomaster Pocket EdgeTX and I’ve not my experienced a single issue with either.

Note EdgeTX is under continued development, unlike OpenTX, so in your scenario I would upgrade your TX16S to the latest version of EdgeTX and upgrade the internal Multi-Module to the latest firmware.

Edited by PDB