Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Advert

Ready for next season.  This is a 1/3.5 scale Nieuport 24 from the DB Models range.  I bought it as a 'Hangar Queen', built & covered with servos out of the Ark and some minor damage. It has been fully refurbed and fitted out, rigging changed to Mick Reeves flat wire and 3mm clevis'. Powered by a Zenoah 38 it wafts along at 1/3 throttle, handles very nicely, with the usual 'doesn't always point in the same direction as it's flying' qualities that are so often linked to WW1 types.  The colour scheme is 'drawn from history' in that the Italian roundels and under wing scheme are correct, as is the dragon.... but not necessarily on the same airframe.  I was sort of driven into the dragon because I found that the underlying original paint wasn't sound despite being washed down with cellulose thinner. Any application of masking tape lifted off the paint underneath so free hand was the way to go

Edited By stu knowles on 29/11/2017 09:21:12

Edited By stu knowles on 29/11/2017 09:28:38

The dummy engine is just a photo printed onto paper and stuck onto a ply baffle. The gun is cobbled together from scrap with the barrel shield cut from vinyl and wrapped around clear tube. The little 'gun timing' plate is printed onto decal paper and then applied to a scrap of Litho then stuck to the cowl. I guess that it should be written in Italian but you can't have everything. 

The prop is just an oversize flying prop  (22x1)0 that has been painted and detailed. The usual prop would be 20x10 but as there is plenty of power the oversize prop has cut the noise considerably and it looks about right

​I've got my eye on you!

Edited By stu knowles on 29/11/2017 09:36:31

Buster

Please report how your model flies.

There was one (possibly still exists) in our club, with an electric motor, and Lipo. The owner could not get it to fly, seemingly unresponsive to rudder and elevator.

It will be very interesting how you get yours or have got your model to fly.

Posted by Erfolg on 29/11/2017 14:52:03:

Buster

There was one (possibly still exists) in our club, with an electric motor, and Lipo. The owner could not get it to fly, seemingly unresponsive to rudder and elevator.

Mine was made from a kit. It was severly underelevated and not a success. The wing incidence had been considerably reduced compared with Vic's original. I think that Buster's model is free flight, especially as he says he's going to fly it in next year's Bowden Contest. If he's built it according to the original plan it'll probably fly well.

Very nice Ken! Love those vintage curves.

Here is my latest effort. It is a scratch built Airtronics Q-Tee. Started with a downloaded plan then redraw everything in 3D on the computer including motor, servo and all linkages to perfect the fits and dimensions. Then I used my CNC router to cut myself a kit. For various reasons this has been nearly 3 years in the making but it is finally flying.

CAD DesignedObligatory Balsa BonesReady to Fly Q-teeCovered Q-Tee

Posted by Erfolg on 29/11/2017 14:52:03:

Buster

As yet unflown, but it is free flight for the Bowden comp...just a building exercise before I start on my Junior 60

My son has been building a full size Europa for the last XX years. He was trawling the net and found a plan for a model, so he aimed it at me and challenged me to finish before he did. This is the result - it's not flown yet because I'm waiting for someone more competent on the sticks to do it for me. Balsa box frame, blue foam contours, balsa skinned foam wing, Hacker motor with 3S LiPo. Should go well, but we'll have to wait and see.europa 01.jpg

europa 02.jpg

The plan called for a trigear U/C, but as his is a monowheel I had to follow suit and build a retracting monowheel unit to fit under the cockpit. Great fun!

Edited By Toni Reynaud on 05/12/2017 07:17:30