Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Many a true word Martin.

I am using up my stocks of sometimes un-labelled coverings and even though I was careful I got the most horrendous twist in the wings. Took a lot of re-heating to work out and even now I think it has crept back a bit.

Thank you for your comment. I enjoyed the build very much.

Levanter

Advert

img_0117 (1).jpgI wish I could say I built this model, I didn't though but it's a beautiful slow flyer and lands like it's on rails, thanks Barrie.

It's a design from 1939 called the "thermal Magnet" I fitted an OS 40 FS , one of the originals, that I bought in the early 80s in the last century. I fitted an orange faast (futaba) rx which has a 3 axis gyro. It's fitted with a 12x4 wooden prop and drinks 15% liquid gold, very slowly.

It's really peculiar when the gyro is on, really squirrels when one tries to intercede but it's fun and very satisfying to fly slowly.

A buzzard spent some time with it in a small thermal and that was an unusual event in itself.

I spent quite some time with it in the air and now I have to order some more wing bands before the ones I have let go.

img_0117 (1).jpgimg_0116 (1).jpg

Edited By Braddock, VC on 28/03/2019 17:06:07

It has quite a long moment arm, perhaps that's why. It does seem to have inertia in turns with respect to the reaction to rudder input, which I initially put down to the fairly small size of rudder then, because I cheat and put an aileron/rudder mix on, found that the total throw was automatically shared between the rudder and aileron sticks. Hence if I want to get a faster response both rudder and aileron sticks are shoved over.

I've flown it about 10 times now, on a day like today with virtually no wind, a 1/4 of a tank lasts about 15 minutes (it's an 8 ounce tank btw) on the other occasions when I've flown it's been quite windy and 15 minutes can take about 2/3 of a tank because of increased throttle to keep her moving into the wind.

p1030589.jpg

p1030588.jpgThis is my new winter project ,yet to be maidened .It is called YW8 .The full title is "Why wait for a plane to come along that can fly and dictate our site , rather than let the site dictate the way I 'd like to fly -- when I can design and build my own ".

This means to me that I could comfortably come in from any direction and altitude into the wind regardless of site limitations e.g. trees and car parks.

It will eventually be fitted with a gyro system after I've flown and got happy with it .

The flaps I hope will give it some STOL capability .

I'll be venturing into new territory with a gyro so I'm fitting one to my trusty trainer ---SKY 40 first , which is well sorted out .

It's about 54" wing span with an Irvine 46 up front.p1030587.jpg

Thanks Chris - master class is a bit (a lot) of an exaggeration but it was fun - and not my normal careful exploration of a new model's characteristics! It was one of those models that felt right from the start and instantly transported me back to my old one. The added oomph from the 46s over the previous version's 40s was very noticeable...

DC3 Dakota from Hobbyking, Props were rubbish, idled up, only got to 1/4 throttle and all the prop hubs sheared off, sending blades flying round the garden.

Props with replacable blades, i found are totally useless and have had a 100% failure rate on every one so far. So looking for a pair now...

dc3_dakota (3).jpg

Martin, yes PSS is Power Scale Soaring - A scaled down representation of full size aircraft that used either prop, jet or rocket for propulsion, flown mostly from the slope. Some PSS aircraft have been flown from aerotow too, however.

Yes, chucked off a cliff just like all slope soarers yes

Just to be clear, they are un-powered radio controlled aircraft - no noise makers, just an aerofoil and gravity with a bit of wind up a slope to keep us there.

Edited By Andy Meade on 02/04/2019 09:30:52

20190212_220250.jpgscreenshot_20190216-221645_ebay.jpg20190405_202513.jpg20190405_202507.jpgMany years away from the hobby, have a foamy I've been flying and I have a ic trainer (rtf 8years old only ever had 1 flight) I need to do a few flights with before I fly this, many many nights in the man cave and have produced my first ic plane for 20years. Purchased 2nd hand mind you but no engine etc. Pleased is an understatement, fired up the engine today (new asp 91fs) ran like a dream! So missed the smell and the noise! Hope to get it flying soon! Thought I would share.20190405_232813.jpg