Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Advert

Afternoon All, do you remember, I think it was about 2014, Kevin B and ZK BAP arranged the importation of a batch of Airsail kits from NZ? I got a DHC 1 Chipmunk and I have just finished it. Not going to lie, I am chuffed to bits with it!! The kit was a pleasure to build and I tried a few new (to me) techniques finishing it. It weighs about 7 1/2 lbs with a 6s 5000 lipo and I added flaps and nav, beacon and landing lights. I met up with a delightful lady who displays WG286 (G-BBND) based at Old Warden and we had a great day flying from Sywell (my home base) to O W and crawling all over ND photographing its every detail. Also got loads of pictures of the Shuttleworth SE5a for my next project. Anyway, would you mind if I am really show-offy and stick a few pics of the finished article?Chippie

Thanks for the kind words, guys. The chippie is such a pretty little aeroplane, isn't it. It was fascinating to do a bit of research during the build. Clever design touches, firewall to just behind the rear cockpit is parrellel, then the rear fuselage is a straight taper, conical though not circular in cross section. Doesn't look at all angular, though does it? There is then a band riveted around the join to reinforce it. Then there is a panel, hinged at its trailing edge on the top of the canopy which can be deployed in the event of it being necessary to depart the aircraft in flight, using the slipstream to assist the opening of the canopy. Looking forward to the maiden. Good to know the kits will be available again, quite fancy the Auster. Certainly the quality of the Chipmunk kit was right up there.

David

Maidened this Arrows Bearcat today. Bit of a handful despite adding 2oz lead upfront. Needs more! Had already taken the precaution of using small control movements but they needed further reduction. Still ! 3 flights and still in one piece. Flaps bring it down nearly vertical but it still stalls last 18 inches despite throttle management. Real problem is I can’t tell what it’s doing despite adding more orange on tail and wingtips! Invasion stripes next ! 😳Colin

img_1682.jpgBring and buy special, it seems to be a bit of a Wots Wot rip off, got rid of the oily smelly thing up front and converted it to electric, 6s on a 12x7 prop, pulls under 40 amps, motor is an E Flite 52. Junked the old oil soaked cowl and replaced with another bought from a different bring and buy. I shall re name it WATTS NOT, Flies nicely, just needed a couple of clicks on the trim, i may recover it or maybe just move on to my next conversion. cheeky

img_1683.jpg

I love that Chipmunk - a work of art! Some nice stuff here - especially the Hurricane and the Wot's Not is interesting too

Here's my new one: It's a Chilli Breeze by Mike Delacole - first published as a free plan in the June 94 edition of RCM and E. Unflown so far ( I only finished it the other night ) but hoping for a maiden either tomorrow or Friday.

Cowling will come along soon, but I want to see her fly soon - all up weight 3lb 11 oz including a 4s 2200mah lipo.

dscf0005.jpg

dscf0007.jpg

dscf0008.jpg

dscf0009.jpg

Oh, and she needs a racing number on the roundels.

Thanks JD 8. Don't think it's tip stalling. Probably just a function of too steep an approach from flaps ! Only one landing with flaps / no flaps so far so early days ! Real problem is that crap colour !😥 I have a Freewing Mosquito which tip stalled in under a circuit when power pulled back so that's getting reflex plus stabilization ! Must stop being attracted to planes that fly on US model runways with large airspace .I fly on a postage stamp surrounded by hedges and trees !😣😣 Colin

I think I'm the 4th owner of this Loaded Dice III. This is the 2 mtr free style version of the Loaded Dice stable. It now has an electric drive train. This provides 2,500 watts of power at 65 amps on a 10 cell pack. The retracts are EFlite 120s, installed by the last owner, and they work reliably. The biggest difference between this aircraft and current F3A birds is the side area of the fuselage and so it requires much more rudder movement for both rolling and knife edge flying which is as expected. Apart from that, it's a lovely model to fly.

20190417_164524.jpg

raven 2 150419.jpgHi All,

Here is Raven a glider designed by Jack Headley from way back when! I must have had the drawing 35 years so it was about time I got back to some balsa bashing. I have had a break 10 - 12 years from regular club flying to play with fullsize boats and model boats, having said that I have always kept my eye in flying an Electric Acrowot down my local football field. I have found the Raven build most enjoyable, the plan is available from Sarik if you fancy some retro slope soaring it's only rudder & elevator

Regards Rayraven 1 150419.jpg