Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Sophisticated Lady

Pretty much the standard kit except I added a tow release. Turned up from brass it also acted as a nose weight and as luck would have it, CG position available by adjustment of battery position.

p1220873.jpg

p1220876.jpg

Hence the the slightly blunt nose.

I have no idea whether it will be of any use as a tow plane would have to be able to fly quite slowly not to pull the wings off. It also has the hook for a bungee launch.

Levanter

Thanks Gents. The electronics are made up of the Flite Test Power Pack A which came recommended wit the kit from The VMC:

• (1) Motor - Radial 1806 2280kV
  • (1) Flite Test 20A w/XT-30 Connector
  • (4) Servos - Flite Test ES9051 5g Servo
  • (1) Y-Lead (30cm)
  • (2) Extensions (20cm)
  • (4) Linkage Stoppers
  • (2) Propellers (6x3)
  • (1) Allen Wrench (1.5mm)
  • (1) Phillips Screwdriver

It took me a while as the instructions are just for rubber power and the laser cut parts weren't labelled so it took more time and some trial and error to work out what bits were for what. It is prettier on the outside than what lies beneath. I used a pull system for the rudder and push rod for elevator for ease.

She's covered in film with tissue paper and some use of Vector board just for some resilience on the planned belly landings. All up weight with 3s battery is 297g and the prop has got some pull so I think she should go ok.

The kit came with both the bubble and car-door canopy option.

I've put a few photos in my album which shows some of the build stages.

Avro 625 Avian monoplane, built after two plans from Outerzone: It’s mainly a scaled-down version of Tom Decker’s design plus some scale details from the Clive Smalley-plan added. I also tried to sculpture Cpt. Neville Stack, who flew the original at the King’s Cup in 1929 and put him into the cockpit.

First test flights showed, that the model needed some tweaking (incidence per plan was too much, at least for my version) but in general it’s a nice and calm flyer and Tom was very helpful, giving advice at all stages of the build. Looking forward to continue test flying, as soon as Corona restrictions are lifted here. Wingspan is about 1,30 m. The motor is a D-Power 3542-5, powered by 3S lipos.

stacko3.jpg

cockpit.jpg

auf der piste.jpg

Edited By Jan Luethje on 19/01/2021 23:43:19

• Like 1

My Chilli Wind finally maidened. For some reason I had tailplane flutter (the entire tailplane), even at very low speed. So the tailplane tips were cut off just outward of the middle elevator hinge.With a hacksaw, at the field. This sorted the problem and back home the tailplane covering was removed and it was glassed top and bottom to improve rigidity. At the same time the cowling was made. A re-maiden confirmed that all was good.smiley. A really great flier and with a .55AX up front, goes like a bat out of hell. And she is a real floater, need to slow down really early for landings.

The only thing I need to do, is to change the top wing colour scheme. I just cannot see this plane in the airsad.

d20210119_182313.jpg20210109_063455.jpg

• Like 1

This is interesting because I had tailplane flutter with my Chilli Breeze. Half the tailplane broke off in flight but fortunately the half the elevator horn was attached to was still intact so I managed to land it. I took all the tail weight out and rebuilt the tailplane with the hardest wood I could find and that cured the problem.

A.

I'm in Sunny South Africa and, with certain rules in place, we are able to fly. smiley

My tailplane is 6mm balsa sheet and should not flutter. Perhaps this sheet was softer than i thought? I was really surprized to get flutter. Never happened before. Not just elevator flutter but the entire tailplane.

In retrospect, the profiled , sheeted, foam core tailplane will be inheritently stiffer. None -the- less, shortening the tailplane has done the trick and flight performance is not affected.

Hi

I ‘ve just finished building my Sig Somethin‘ Extra kit. Next step will be running in the motor (SC 52) and adjusting the control throws.

20210123_144454.jpg

The recommended throws in the manual seem a little bit extreme to me, even the low throws.

throws.jpg

I ‘m about an average flyer, I think and I would welcome any good advice on this matter before the maiden flight.

Thanks