Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Depron TSR2, in the first version I tried to cram two 50mm fans in and had to stagger them with a shared efflux. The result was disappointingly weak  . Second version I widened the fuselage to give each fan a proper thrust  tube, re-using the flying surfaces and  forward fuselage. Much improved thrust and  a forty five degree take off, however it was a bit of a struggle after that probably due to the small wing. MK3 will be with an enlarged wing.

photos by Steve Firth

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0034.JPG

• Like 4

Had a successful day, so better share these.

These are all models i have completed this year, and very pleased with.

DSC03914.thumb.JPG.85cbde2c5959e5cca3e18d96b2e54b4d.JPG

DSC03908.thumb.JPG.2606b00ea99d821382db92fdeea875d1.JPG

The Chipmunk is an old Airsail kit i acquired online, had much fun building. Flies on 5S. 'Glassed fuse, and Ceconite wing/control surfaces. All the old comments of a brilliant handling plane see to be true, flies very well.

The small Spit is from the Dark Nights thread, (TN 46"). Possibly my current favourite model after about 4 flights since rebuild.

The big Spit is a Brian Taylor, (https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/supermarine-spitfire-2/) I acquired it 90% built, and have completed it as shown. The plan had fixed gear, but have managed to get retracts into it. A pointed rudder (cause i prefer them) and even clipped the wings!* (purists look away now), and to make another change from RAF camo, made up some Russian markings. Glassed all over (except Ceconite elevator & rudder). 6S for power. Had it's maiden today, it certainly flew, and despite it's weight (probably around 5kg) seemed to fly well, and landing speed wasn't excessive. Some minor things to sort, but the signs are good, so i'm much pleased.

(And it might be obvious i can't be bothered with cockpits!)

*I kept the the solid balsa tips that i cut off, and made a removeable fairing to go on their place on the wingtip. I can change between fullspan and clipped wingtip at leasure when ive got it dialled in. (Much like the fullsize!) Not for any useful purpose, other than to say I can, and compare the handling.  

• Like 6

Just started trying to fly 3D much to my own amusement as it's not easy! Anyways I made these two mini "Leadfeather" (RC Groups forum)  Crack Yaks of 22" out of my very last bits of EPP. The red and yellow one I experimented with and gave it a Kfm4 wing and the red and white is as per the plan, well mostly it is. The former is a bit heavy with an AUW with a 250mah 2S at 112 grams but the latter thankfully with a 200mah 2S lipo weighs 95 grams. I've yet to maidenthe lighter one. The red/yellow one really showed how poor my rudder input was and how much of a lazy flier I was. I now love doing flat rudder turns! Good fun making them and cheap. Just wish I could find some more EPP. I've also just finished a full size RC Factory Crack Yak again I need to maiden. Forgot, just finished a Superslo 28, well more like a 30"+ one really, another one to maiden. I have lots to maidens as I made 22 foamie models in the lockdown. I was bored so that's my excuse. I didn't have a choice really as I'm in the very vunerable category re health issues. Must say not once was I fed up as I really enjoyed it and I learnt how to do some airbrushing to boot.

IMG_20210608_231224290.jpg

IMG_20210608_231243533.jpg

IMG_20210127_213443025.jpg

IMG_20210127_213612017.jpg

IMG_20210428_133836005.jpg

• Like 2

Can't say it's a new model but my Baron has been substantially made over or repaired! I will take it down to La Coupe Des Barons near Lyons tomorrow. The competition itself starts on Saturday.

I have shortened the nose to allow for the extra weight of the four-stroke engine, a Thunder Tiger 54, and I have changed the wing structure to a full D box with auxilliary spar like a Super 60. I have reinforced each spar with carbon fibre tow and I've reduced the dihedral which makes the model a bit less easy to fly. If I can get through the first round I'm fairly optimistic. We'll see!

Bertie 2021 (1).JPG

Bertie 2021 (3).JPG

Edward Albert Bear RNAS (1).JPG

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Stuphedd said:

I flew my Snipe at the weekend after 52 years in the making

I thought some of my models had been laying around partly built for a long time, but 52 years could be a record! They can't have been out of service for long when you started it ?.

I love these old Sopwith designs.  Aircraft of that era seem to have so much more character than modern ones.

After some challenges, I finally got the Warbirds Replicas Yak 3 airborne today. This is actually the third attempt, rather embarrassingly. The first failed attempt was entirely my fault. The second was a nose over that dislodged the motor mount. As our strip was mown today, it seemed worth another go.

Success! Much less drama today although there are some trim issues to resolve. Other than that she flew well and looked great in the air.

Big thanks to Richard Wills and Paul Johnson for the help and support. You'll struggle to find better kits, better supported.

Yak3 150621.jpeg

• Like 4

A reply to John T ref my Snipe .

I began building the Snipe whilst my wife was in hospital having my eldest son , In those days nothing was hurried so I needed a project to keep me occupied , He is now 52 plus a bit .

And strange that you should mention that they were "just "out of service because one of our fitters at work , pretty elderly guy , used to be a Rigger on Snipe between the wars !! He was full of interesting info!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 18/06/2021 at 12:42, Stuphedd said:

A reply to John T ref my Snipe .

I began building the Snipe whilst my wife was in hospital having my eldest son , In those days nothing was hurried so I needed a project to keep me occupied , He is now 52 plus a bit .

And strange that you should mention that they were "just "out of service because one of our fitters at work , pretty elderly guy , used to be a Rigger on Snipe between the wars !! He was full of interesting info!!

Amazing! 

A great story behind your build!

Priveleged to hear it.

Hope you have a great summer flying the Snipe, looks fantastic.

Maiden flight for this little beauty this evening. A Great Planes electrifli DR1. 30" span and flying on a 3S 1000mAh pack. 7 minutes, which if I'm honest, is more than enough...

It's not what I'd call relaxing. Or predictable... But it is fun!

DR1 240621.jpg

Edited by Graham Davies 3
Spelling
  • Like 2

Ill-fated maiden flight of my Parkzone Corsair last weekend - climb out looks steep in this picture and I started the turn away too early before the model was fully up to flying speed, flicking to the right in the blink of an eye and suffering heavy damage on the gravel track. Picture Credit Derek Robertson.

She's all glued back together now and just needs a lick of paint before a re-maiden. That will be from a hand launch, before deciding whether to invest in a replacement set of retracts.

pzcorsair.JPG

Edited by leccyflyer
  • Sad 2

Nothing to do with boldness, just my own pilot error. The wind direction required a take off on the crossways runway, across the field and a turn before approaching the pits, so a very shallow climb out wasn't really an option. It would have been better to wait for a better wind direction, allowing a longer straight climb out.

Put it all back together and touched up the damaged paintwork, with the B & Q match pot acrylics - they really are a very good colour match. On checking out the repaired model one aileron servo was very notchy and had obviously stripped some teeth on the gear train. Luckily I had an exact replacement long lead servo in stock, so was able to replace that. Fingers crossed indeed.