BMFA Website down...?

Robert Cracknell

Logic says that if something has changed over the last few days, it was working before and now isn’t plus it seems to be affecting a lot of people plus it works on some browsers and not others, then it’s a security setting / cert that has changed on the BMFA side. You should not, as an end user, have to play around with any router settings to get it working again, it is something that the BMFA will / are looking into (as mentioned elsewhere in this thread).

BTW, I run Macs and the site is not available using Safari or Opera but in my Win10 VM I can accesss it using Edge.

Posted by Sean O'Dwyer on 23/09/2018 19:11:22:

You can't change the DNS settings on the BT Hub no

Sean, If you are using a router and have set it up with the supplied disk (or by pressing the buttons on the thing) to link it to your computer, your computer will probably have set its DNS to look at the hub. You can still change the settings on your computer so that it uses its own DNS settings rather than the hub's.

Ron, I completely agree that this shouldn't be necessary, but someone needs to diagnose the problem. All my machines (Mac, Linux and Windows) log on without issues. The only "odd" thing I do is use OpenDNS. It could be that something has indeed changed at the BMFA end, but that change hasn't rippled through to all the DNS servers yet (perhaps a switch to https?). If we can confirm or eliminate this, it will help diagnose the problem.

Perhaps your windows VM is using Micro$ofts DNS rather than your ISP's? Can you check?

--

Pete

Sean: OK, thanks for checking! I thought that might be the problem, but at least its something we can now eliminate from further investigation.

I would suggest restoring your original settings, unless you want to continue using OpenDNS. **LINK**

And thanks for your help! I would have done it myself, but I'm not having the problem...!

--

Pete

I am still lock out of the BMFA web site and not being that up on computers I not going to mess my setting up just to get the BMFA web site ,.All the other web site are fine .The BMFA need to sort this out .Come December it will be time to rejoin So much for rejoin online !!!!

I reckon it could be out for weeks, even into October. Problem is that it's not a big site, such as Amazon. If Amazon.co.uk goes down, it will be up straightaway - being their only source or sales - the internet and having back up upon backup servers to make sure their site doesn't go off line for even a second...

A Model Shop, or BMFA.org, there is no rush...

I tried logging on with a new device last night, first time it was powered up - an Alphawise H96 pro, a sort of Smart TV internet/film music box that you can access my network to play into the TV. Also has internet access and tried to log on onto BMFA. Still not working.

I think the only way it would work if someone had their own VPN, by-passing the Http protocol.

My BT router (Hub 5) is set to the following DNS servers:

Primary DNS:
Secondary DNS:

If DickW or another BT user who is experiencing problems could confirm whether they are using the same DNS servers it would eliminate this possibility as I am getting to the site every time - on top of which, the only time I had a problem was when I was using an iPad via a Sky router at my daughter's.

I havent been able to access the site for several days.

Windows 10 pro, BT Hub 6, tried Chrome and Edge, also tried on my phone and wifes iPad - no good.

Have cleared cache etc and flushed DNS settings etc and still get the same error message even with open DNS

Joke!

This site can’t provide a secure connection

bmfa.org sent an invalid response.

ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

I know some people can log into the BMFA web site and a lot can not .There is obviously a big problem with this web site ,it is no good if some people can get it and some people  can not .What is the BMFA doing about fixing it ,Or is it a case of it depends where you live and what server you have and it hard luck on those that can not receive this web site

Edited By Rocker on 24/09/2018 20:31:18

Posted by Rocker on 24/09/2018 20:30:07:

........There is obviously a big problem with this web site ,it is no good if some people can get it and some people can not .What is the BMFA doing about fixing it ..........

Edited By Rocker on 24/09/2018 20:31:18

The BMFA are working on it and have been since Thursday. They requested information from users with the problem and several of us have provided screen prints, logs, etc..

Since it only affects some people it is proving difficult to track down the cause and fix it, so we just need to be patient.

Dick

Edited By Dickw on 24/09/2018 22:55:07

Posted by Martin Harris on 24/09/2018 18:13:44:

My BT router (Hub 5) is set to the following DNS servers:

Primary DNS:
Secondary DNS:

If DickW or another BT user who is experiencing problems could confirm whether they are using the same DNS servers it would eliminate this possibility as I am getting to the site every time - on top of which, the only time I had a problem was when I was using an iPad via a Sky router at my daughter's.

Yes. those are the DNS settings on my Hub 6 - and unfortunately I can't edit them to try anything else.

Dick