Drone completes first freight flight to Isles of Scilly

Simon Feather

A couple of weeks ago whilst watching Flightradar24 I spotted a drone trial flying circles around Thorney & Hayling Islands. I don't know if the circles were controlled by geo positioning, but it looked like the learning curve had some way to go.....

Is it a good thing? Time will tell. Let's hope there is a good future for model flying.

God save the Queen and BMFA cheeky

A useful adjunct to the existing communications between the mainland and the islands for items that might need to be delivered quickly, as in the case for emergency medical supplies. However, the situations where a medical widget or drug are in such need that waiting for the scheduled transports to deal with it must be very few and far between. A few bottles of Gin and a couple of bunches of flowers on the return flight as cargo? Well, better than coming back empty I suppose.

A good thing in terms of the tech, but whether it actually does any good or has potential to do much good, I believe is questionable in this particular scenario.

Edited By Cuban8 on 11/12/2020 10:53:50

Are we missing the point, early technology be it steam, internal combustion or electric propulsion was unreliable in its early years of development.

If there is a demand then the technology will develop into reliable and low cost solutions, if not it will fade way into the past.

Time will tell either way in the end.

Posted by Peter Miller on 11/12/2020 08:55:58:

IT will need a VERY reliable engine for constant flights over all that sea!!

At an aerotow the tugs are usually running non-stop except for refueling, the twin cylinder two strokes seem to run very reliably.

Several of the engine manufacturers are now offering UAV engines for these applications, e.g. https://www.os-engines.co.jp/OS_professional/engine_e.html

And there are some now being designed to run on diesel/kerosine.

Posted by Gary Manuel on 11/12/2020 20:57:07:
Posted by J D 8 on 11/12/2020 13:45:16:

Lipo is just for the radio, aircraft has twin cyl IC engine .

Could the 4s LiPo also be used to power a starter motor?

That sounds quite plausible, to avoid the need for ground support and avoid hand starting accidents, plus the r/c gear and a transponder could take a fair bit of power; ignition too if its not a magneto ignition system.