Site appearance tweaks - what do you think?

The darker grey background looks good to me - helps "lift and separate" the individual posts in any given thread as well as the main board.

For what its worth, my (laptop) screen brightness is normally set to between 50% and 70% depending on what I'm looking at generally, whether its night or day, and the ambient light levels in the room etc.

• Like 1

Advert

Topic summary box removal: A good thing.

Darker background: A good thing.

Reputation voting: A bad thing.

Massive ads in the flow of the thread: A bad thing.

I also feel that changing the white boxes to a very soft grey will be better for those finding it hard on the eyes, while still retaining clear visibility for all. I use CAD a lot, and my default workspace is set up as a grey field with black lines and text. It really does reduce eyestrain.

Edited by Lima Hotel Foxtrot
coz
  • Like 2

I’ve been using the site on my iPhone a fair bit and I’m getting to like it more and more. The background tweaks are a definite improvement in readability.

I find it far better to use now than from when I sometimes accessed the old site when away from my PC. 

In case of accusations of any bias, I’d better point out that I’m a volunteer unpaid mod with no connection to the site developers or MTM!

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly a vote of thanks for the continued tweaks to this site that continue to improve it over time - it is definitely improving steadily, thanks to all involved. Secondly, another suggested improvement...

Whilst the Reactions functionality is welcome I do think we are missing a few options that would improve things. Here's the set from another forum I post in regularly, though this one is based on the XenForo platform...

image.png.394e78eec47c0ca46b512853a593dc40.png

From the left they are Like, Agree, Hot, Helpful, Love, Funny, Wow, Sad and Angry. Personally I think that is probably a few too many, but adding "Agree", "Helpful"  and "Wow" would be worth it here I think to add a little more subtlety to the reactions available. Some forums also have a "Disagree" option - I'm less sure about that, it could inflame certain posters! 

• Thanks 1

I don't know if it can be done but it would be great if thumbnail versions of images (that expand to full size when clicked) could be attached to thread posts.

The current default image size (which is great for one image) is far too big if a series of 10 or more were uploaded.

I usually blog builds on RC Groups because of this facility but I would like to start blogging here.

This is an example of a thread post with clickable attachments, each one has a caption.

They have another useful tool there which is to show all attachments in a thread.

Off to the shed to start another build (Aeronaut A-10).

Cheers

Gary

• Like 1

A lot of good points made here.

On the old site there were thumbnails which are usually an option if using standard formats like Joomla or Wordpress. It is part, I think about the oft quoted complaint of too much white space, which is valid.

I am, however finally getting used to the new format.

My points about navigation to images via your profile and not, as well, through the gallery remain arguable methinks. Could we not have sub menus for "My images" via the Gallery?

4 minutes ago, EarlyBird said:

@Peter Garsden

Peter,

I have setup a Images option in my activity streams.

image.thumb.png.f64c876049c9486919312e9040ae818f.png

Create custom stream.

Content Types  Images

Ownership I posted in

Yes thank you that is very helpful. There is always a work around. I suppose I am looking at it by way of comparison with the tools we have lost from the old site, which was better in some ways and worse in others. My argument is that if we move we should not lose what we had if possible and gain if we can. I can see how images are better, but worse in other ways.

I do not know what it is that were your criteria for sucess or reasons for change. However form a users perspective there has been progress.

I firstly do like the increased space for writing.

I also do like the look and general look and feel.

I must commend the speed that the inclusion of latest postings has been installed..

With increased familiarisation I am sure will reveal additional user benefits.

Well done for achieving an IT change probably with limited money , resources and fast attention to problems

• Like 1

Site appearance is , I think pretty good. Functionality is also pretty good and certainly better than the old site. 
Last I checked the full search functionality, for me , only worked properly on my iMac and not on my iPad.

Generally pretty happy and already reverted to reading model flying posts rather than site issues.

Tim

• Like 1