Spring is here again - who's been flying?

11 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

Aye, a lovely warm day, albeit with the most awkward possible wind direction, which got stronger as the day wore on. Nevertheless some great fun and nice models on show, with a great turnout. Successful maidens for my Balsacraft Hurricane and spare FW190, but given a seventh failed handlaunch of the TN Jet Provost I decided it was best to save the Flightline Spitfire for a better day, so she stayed in the car.

756947398_Kerloch18thMay24-31.thumb.jpg.bd162503830b674c25247b9d7d2b3b57.jpg

Seeing the carnage in the back of my van, and the dents in the steel partition caused by models and equipment after an accident . Personally I wouldn't pack a plane like that  (even foamies have potential to cause injury) 

Advert

5 hours ago, Learner said:

Seeing the carnage in the back of my van, and the dents in the steel partition caused by models and equipment after an accident . Personally I wouldn't pack a plane like that  (even foamies have potential to cause injury) 

I pad the models for the journey with the separated parts of my foam model stand, plus a blanket and spare fleece kept just for that purpose. When I get to the field those pads are removed to access the model _) i have nearly a four hour round trip to and from the field , mostly on country roads and the number of dings and dents are kept to a minimum. In the event of an accident my main concern would be with batteries and flight box, stored safely in the space immediately behind the front seats with minimal wiggle room.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

Agreed - I flew eight out of the First XI models that I took with me yesterday and was able to pick and choose which ones to fly. It would have been nine if the Jet Provost hadn't performed it's signature climb, half roll and tent peg manoeuvre, ending up fifteen feet in front of us, with the canopy pointing back towards us. It's done that six times previously, but mostly over the long grass, so no damage. I thought I'd cured an identified issue with asymmetric elevator movement, but that wasn't the case and this time I didn't get away with it. Category B damage, but it might be time to retire the Provost for a permanent patrol hanging from the ceiling.

1952421773_provostwreck.thumb.jpg.3caf894e24654beaa05aa6341903abee.jpg

I have a Tony Ninjus gnat ,the larger one .I had similar problems getting it airborne .I bought a hobby king catapult .I get a mate to hold the fin ,give it full beans then activate the catapult ,this works great .I have had many successful flights doing this 

Well a real milestone for me today, maiden flight of my o/d Sorceress 1 and  o/d designed/made engine, had too swap out the carb a couple of times before I was happy too fly it,once airborne only required a couple of clicks of down trim ! Best of all was super smooth and tracked well in basic loops and rolling manoeuvres, absolutely chuffed 🙂

853315833_IMG_20240519_120030846_MFNR2.thumb.jpg.91b4650329276654c8d0a0a02b51fde0.jpg

IMG_20240519_120013279_MFNR.thumb.jpg.d174a27d3ba316ab838aa4dc4331ea7f.jpg

IMG_20240519_132922384_MFNR.thumb.jpg.0c31961e59e25b6a7c68888d716f34ea.jpg

1374114796_IMG_20240519_132913814_MFNR3-1.thumb.jpg.e0e2512bd1e43169fddd3065f5badf16.jpg

• Like 8

I’ve just got back from a most enjoyable club day. Excellent weather, great company, good food and 4 flights each with the Giant Revolver and Mustang and unfortunately only 1 with the FW190 as I broke a prop on landing!

Totes cream crackered now.

• Like 1

A dreich, misty, low visibility morning up here at my local club strip today - couldn't have been more different than yesterday, but still managed some enjoyable flights in totally calm conditions. After lunch some pictures from yesterday arrived courtesy of my pal Derek, who's piccies of Mike Pirie's Lancaster grace the back page of this month's RCM&E. I count myself very, very lucky to have such an accomplished photographer so willing to capture my models in flight. Thanks Derek. 😎👍

1722099104_fw190Kerlochheadon18thMay2024.thumb.jpg.b26781d26a87a3867b409744f5c31fd8.jpg

1116031649_HurricaneHeadOnKerloch2024.thumb.jpg.17a457cdc8fd32412658722b43d2c0c7.jpg

363916885_Hurricanelanding.thumb.jpg.38150c08417eb7edd72d0418e61f33b9.jpg

1620740064_SeafireApproachKerloch.thumb.jpg.aaca9bfd99401b11823d342c2571dea3.jpg

1779698184_SeafireLanding.thumb.jpg.62c5fc7cec5cbefd2eedb62e09449930.jpg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Learner said:

Lol

IMG-20230610-WA0001.jpg

9 hours ago, Learner said:

On your head be it, literally!

I never pack my planes with the pointy end facing forwards, so that in the event of an accident, the natural crumple zones comes into play 🙂

But instead of just telling people what not to do, why not show us your better way....... maybe that'll help someone....

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

I never pack my planes with the pointy end facing forwards, so that in the event of an accident, the natural crumple zones comes into play 🙂

But instead of just telling people what not to do, why not show us your better way....... maybe that'll help someone....

I have a van with a steel partition. 

Make sure your planes crumple zones don't include metal pushrods or any sharp wood fragments that might end up in your neck.

Edited by Learner

2 hours ago, Learner said:

I have a van with a steel partition. 

Make sure your planes crumple zones don't include metal pushrods or any sharp wood fragments that might end up in your neck.

I drive a fiesta. Are you saying that I'm effectively priced out of toy aeroplanes until I can afford an armoured wagon?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My mate Kev used to drive a Fiesta van at one time, for work, the number of models that he could fit in the back, together with a complete mobile workshop, gazebo, picnic table, cool box etc was legendary at e-flight fly-ins. He replaced it with a big 4x4 and I don't believe that he was able to fit very much more in that.

Posted (edited)

Lovely afternoon here yesterday so I took the Ukrainian Baron flying, practising for La Coupe Des Barons. The model was previously fitted with a Thunder Tiger 54 but the threads in the exhaust port have stripped. I'm arranging for a trained engineer to have a look at it. I replaced it with a Magnum 52 FS. Previously the carburettor of this engine had insisted falling apart in flight, but I found an OS caburettor among my souvenirs and I fitted it yesterday morning. This combination now runs perfectly. I practised low level flight and because the wind was from the east, right-hand circuits which I found a bit difficult owing to lack of practice!

One of the lads turned up with an old sport-aerobatic model which had been given to the club. It was fitted with a big new OS two-stroke but the lad managed to put his finger tip into the moving prop. There was blood everywhere but fortunately the club chairman was there, who used to be a nurse, and he soon got him patched up. It was the first accident I can recall and we found out that some of the equipment in the first aid kit was out of date! He managed to fly the model later on.

My van is in dock so I am limited to only one medium sized model because that is all I can fit into my fifty year-old Rover.

Unfortunately I didn't take my camera with me  so the pictures are historical.

Boris Ready For La Coupe.JPG

True Grit by the floods (Small).JPG

Van With Little Friend (Small).JPG

Edited by David Davis

22 minutes ago, payneib said:

I drive a fiesta. Are you saying that I'm effectively priced out of toy aeroplanes until I can afford an armoured wagon?

You can drive what you like and pack it with whatever and however you like.

The chances of any issue is very slim, so do what you feel is best, and if that's doing what you do now, so be it.