Summer 2022 is here - who's been flying?

I flew yesterday. 20°C, zephyr from the North. Conversations about medical interventions were amusing.

Not flown much this year, what being in the grip of doctors, and just busy. 
Yesterday got a Yak 55 out, and thrashed it. But after a couple of flights, decided to do some maintenance on the fuel system, and fit a better prop.

And tried an old HK Tundra out. I have bought it new batteries, in the sales, a little bigger in capacity and it’s goes a dream, with really good flight times. Nothing much, but a nice afternoon. 

13 minutes ago, martin collins 1 said:

Maiden flight on my foam board build ME109 today, flies a treat, needed only 3 clicks of right aileron, very pleased and the guy that launched and has seen the stages of the build was amazed how well it went.

IMG_20221013_180130_resized_20221013_082218077.jpg

Looks a treat well done 👍

Did you video it.

If so would love to see it.

Steve

I had the maiden flight of this one on Tuesday, CML Spitfire fitted with an Evolution 26cc petrol engine, home made exhaust it did not need any weight added to balance and the speed was too fast for scale over half throttle. It was a good flight and a perfect landing in a strong breeze. Second flight it nosed over and broke the prop, 4 flights today in nice conditions for the North East.

cml spitfire.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent afternoon flying at my local club field, fantastic warm, calm weather, good company, lots of flying   and loads of different models on show- superb fun dogfighting the wee Volantrex funfighters, they really are remarkable bits of kit. Two Bf109E against a P-51 and then the Mustang and Spitfire against my Bf109E. Brilliant. 

Also put some flights on some rarely flown models - Parkzone SE5a, my Mini AstroHog and Seagull Pilatus PC-9. Threw the Parkzone Mosquito UMX into the mix and a couple of SEMFF fighters as well for a very enjoyable day off. 

• 5 months later...

Apparently this is Summer 2023!

The first time out for probably 3 years now. Here nothing changes, at the end of the road to nowhere. One major road in, not actually primatily here, although it is the route that the County Council would prefer us to use, full of speed cameras, a thousand traffic lights (of the 4 way type), over a mile of two of road. Us locals use the two country type roads out, except that the most convenient now has a 4 way road works on it for 3 months, whilst work on the verge is being done so it seems. All these routes have miles long, 12 hour traffic jams. So I take the wash board (subsidence), 20 mph road. I do get to the field, after 3 years, what the heck.

Why 3 years? Well there was Covid, either it or old age as taken a toll on the club members. Then I had an eye test, the optician said, not much point in a new prescription. What, it was just a year ago and. Seems that I had cataracts, that a referral would confirm. Yep, there was a problem, either the local hospital for a general anaesthetics lens change (with a long wait), or a contracted clinic almost immediate treatment. My medical adviser told me although traumatic to a wimp, like you, dad, their results outstanding. Six months later, the world of colour is much brighter, I can see the make of tyre of the aircraft passing overhead again. So what could go wrong?

I took 3 models to the field, a model of Bachem Natter (viper), which I beseeched a fellow modeller into flying, or try to It had flown before for the whole of 200 yards, or was it meters? Then the motor cut out, a number of additional issues were identified. Now was the time at least a year later, to try again. The extremely talented and competent and unflustered pilot, flew it. It flew well much to everyone's present surprise., about 5 circuits A few more changes were identified, the main is switching from 35 to 2.4, as it was occasionally glitching. A picture is attached.

Now it was time for the main purpose, could I see a model with the clarity that I want and need to fly with confidence. Another punter was co-opted to take over, if things went pear shaped. That could be a sight thing, or co-ordination thing. I thought, perhaps getting some one else to get it of the ground, would be a good idea, reducing the risks. Turned out to be a very good idea, perhaps one of the best judgements I have ever made.

I placed the model in the middle of the strip, no walkers about, the pilot open the throttle, the model accelerated to racing snail pace, stayed at it for a good few hundred yards. Clear wheel tracks in the grass. My duty was now to and launch it, it went away with no protest. The grass is to long and wet it seems for my model. I take over the model, do a few circuits, one loop, a figure of eight, then an approach and landing.

In short for me a successful day. As for all the other people present, they did their thing, no sweat. I was well pleased, cold on this windless, dull day.

WP_20220508_21_01_49_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

You cannot  have full reservoirs, the Beeb has said all the reservoirs across the country are empty, including the North (BBC North West Local News) It will take one day of sun, and restrictions will be required!

Anyway I need to go to our bins now, will need my wellies, perhaps waders.