Switches or Sliders

Morgs

Hi all what do others use, for retracts and flaps I use sliders I find it more comfortable just to lift my fingers up and slide them up or down.

I tried a couple of switches on a new model and couldn't get on with them, is there any specific use for sliders anyway.

Variable flaps and/or variable camber on a glider to suit the weather conditions, crow braking on some gliders, volume control for voice output of timers/telemetry, fine adjustment of some mixes.

I have all of those options in use on different models.

Dick

4 hours ago, Morgs said:

Hi all what do others use, for retracts and flaps I use sliders I find it more comfortable just to lift my fingers up and slide them up or down.

I tried a couple of switches on a new model and couldn't get on with them, is there any specific use for sliders anyway.

Just use what works for you, there is no right and wrong really, at least for flaps… Gear I would personally always put on a switch though, it’s not like you need proportional control!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Morgs said:

Sounds like I'm going to try and get used to switches, seems like most of you prefer them, so what would you use sliders for then?.

For first flights only the gain control on a gyro, but I remove that once set. Otherwise the volume control for announcements/vario and that's it.

2 hours ago, Andy Gates said:

I am with Paul on this and use switches.

The sliders on my radio have a lack of feel / ratchet which make the positioning indistinct therefore uneasy to replicate routinely.

The sliders on my JR txs are excellent, and easy to find. The big plus is I can operate flaps with my finger whilst keeping both thumbs on the sticks. So, no momentary loss of control while I reach for flap switch. But of course, its whatever works best for each individual.

Thanks everyone, like Paul said it's so easy because your fingers are there and it seems second nature. And the other day I was coming round for a landing flicked switch for under carriage to come down and on final approach noticed it wasn't down, so had to go round again which is not good when flying a fast EDF. I think that was on a three way switch so should change that to a two way.

I tend to use a slider for flaps when setting up a new plane. A few trial landings soon provide the best position and then I look at the telemetry and change the slider to a switch using the weight I had set for the slider, plus a compensating elevator as a mix. The joy of telemetry. 😀

• Thanks 1

I prefer sliders, which on my transmitter are located within an index finger reach (I fly thumbs) for flaps particularly for ease of use without having to fish for a switch somewhere but sometimes programme them for 3 position working rather than infinitely variable. 

My pet hate is when someone programmes flaps on a rotary control and I have to come off the left stick to use it!

How does gear work with a slider when its a mech retract driven by a std servo?   Half down and not locked is very possible, recipe for the repair shop. I have the servos set for scale speed deployment and depending on model mix elevator to compensate of deploy flaps to counter the pitch change. 

All other comments above fully valid

Apart from the OP, I’m not sure that many would advocate u/c on a slider but it would be possible on many transmitters to set an output curve to mimic the action of a 2 position switch. 

Personally, I find that u/c operation is normally done at a non-critical flight phase so the switch can be located further from reach whereas the flaps may need adjustment closer to touchdown. 

I have a vintage model with a very speed dependent elevator trim requirement. I have it trimmed out at a 'normal' speed, and then I use a slider for something like 3% elevator mix to allow an easy and temporary trim change if I feel like going faster or slower on any particular flight.

For flaps I use both sliders and switches depending on which transmitter I'm using 🙂 functions like retracts, aerotow release etc are always on a switch.

Sliders I use for throttle on electric gliders (throttle stick for spoilers/crow), camera rotation, choke and on a friends model canopy operation.

I'm not a fan of rear rollers, but can operate the flaps on a friends model with his Tx.

I prefer to use a twist knob for flaps but in one case they are big and with serious travel, like 0 to 90!

I turn the knob using the side of my little figure.

Yes it is hard to tell how much flap has been set but that is only an issue if you cant tell visually or by how the plane behaves. 😉

FlapDownR.JPG.e71e67fbc667690ab24622a4073be43f.JPG

As has been said it all comes down to a personal preference, what flaps are on the plane and what is available on your Tx