Aeromodelling at seventy-four.

David Davis

Another poster, a novice aged seventy-four, mentioned that he might not have that much longer on this planet which gave me pause for thought because I am seventy-four too, seventy-five in March. During the last five months I have lost my stepson, my younger sister to pancreatic cancer, a friend who was crushed when his car fell on top of him while he was replacing the exhaust and my elderly aunt. I've no wish to spread doom and gloom but at seventy-four you never know when your time will be up.

Years ago I bought a nicely built Brian Taylor Harvard from an old boy in Somerset. I've never had the courage to fly it! He said that all aeromodellers were hoarders. In my case that's certainly true but I know many who are addicted to a far greater extent! I have nine unbuilt kits and three unfinished projects in my workshop and heaven knows how many engines which are not installed in airframes. I have built two new models in the last year one from a short-kit, another off a plan and four of my existing fleet need repair.

Given that I do not want to saddle anybody with getting rid of my stuff, I will have to dispose of it all myself. I've already sent an Enya 19 to a bloke in Florida for the cost of the postage and I've given two WOT 4s to the club.

Apparently the median age at death for the average British male is 80.9 years. Even if I live that long will I be fit enough to go flying in seven years time? Years ago I bought a copy of the American magazine "Scale R/C Modeller" for its article in the BE2e. I quote from the final paragraph,  "... However, if one happens to be middle aged, it must be realised that there is only time enough left for a dozen or so really fine scale models...."  At seventy-four,  how much time do I have left to build sport-scale models?

I have decided that I am only going to build two new models: a Bob Wright Flying Flea started by my late best friend twenty years ago and a David Hurrell Fokker Triplane, an aircraft which has always held an attraction for me.

I realise that this is a greying hobby and that younger modellers are not interested in the things which interest me, therefore, there will be less and less demand for my stuff as the years go by so prices will fall and I won't get much for my stash. I could sell stuff on eBay but I've been told that their fees have now reached unacceptable levels. I don't think that I could advertise my stuff on the BMFA website because I retired to France seven years ago and I'm no longer a member of the BMFA.

Anybody interested in an Enya 35 r/c in box with both cylinder heads and exhaust? I believe that this engine has been mounted in a model but never run.  An Enya 45 with broken lug? Enya 15 as new? Yours for the cost of postage from France.

Enya 45.JPG

Enya 35.JPG

DD, I'm sure there's plenty of life in the old dog yet! Regarding selling stuff, you are right about eBay, allow for approximately 10% cost to you for selling stuff plus the whole setup is now heavily weighed in favour of buyers rather than sellers! Have you looked at Facebook Market Place? I'm no fan of Facebook but their market place is a lot cheaper than eBay but it is also a lot less regulated than eBay (good or bad?).

Have used ebay from 2002 and for good or bad, the bad is awful.

But the good side, for the expense involved, is the " shop window ", it is huge.

If you list right, 100s of buyers can see your window.

If you use all of the tools, security is airtight, and if you list,describe, and photo accurately then it is plain sailing.

Using the tools, after the sale, you have no need of a pen, just press the button for an address post paid label.

Edited by Denis Watkins

Facebook market place is the way to go these days.

I recently inherited six reasonably decent RC models, and sold the lot in five days.

No "on costs" at all.

E.bay is a bit of a non starter these days, e.bay fees, Paypal fees, Buyers saying they never got the item / its broken etc etc.

Marketplace, they come and get it, take it, job done!.

• Like 1

Crikey, DD! There was me looking forward to 2023 as a spritely 70+, but now I am miserable 🙄. I do accept that at various intervals the squadron needs to be pared down and I have decided to only have four flying machines (all electric) that I use regularly. The rest went to deserving new owners. I have one other smashed up EF 50cc Extra sitting on the shelf to remind me what happens if I don't concentrate. 

1 hour ago, SIMON CRAGG said:

E.bay is a bit of a non starter these days, e.bay fees, Paypal fees, Buyers saying they never got the item / its broken etc etc.

I still like eBay for selling stuff. I wait until they offer 70-80% off variable selling fees which tends to be every few weeks. That way, if you sell something for say £200 you're only going to pay say £4.50 in fees. And you get that massive audience. And you can take advantage of their global shipping program. Also, the PayPal thing isn't a thing any more. PayPal are no longer involved in selling on eBay. I always use their search tool having ticked "Sold listings" - that way I can see what the comparative competition are selling for. I always list buy it now to avoid any nasty surprises with an uncompetitive auction. 

1 hour ago, Peter Miller said:

Well I am 85. 

I may not  qualify for wings on the other side so in my workshop there is a set of wings with a big label which reads.

"These wings are to be glued, screwed or nailed to my coffin lid"

I am taking my wings with me in case!!

Not a lot of use if you get cremated alternatively 6ft of soil won't do them a lot of good.

On the other hand could be a starter for a heavenly Insanity.

I distinctly remember a conversation I had back in the 1980's.

I walked into the Bar of a Hotel where we were to have a meeting of a (full size) pilot's association. Spotting a familiar face I wandered over and said 'Hello Bill you are looking very chipper tonight'. 'Yes' he replied 'I've just picked up my new car, bought myself one of the new Honda Accords.'

Bill Rayner was 92 at the time and had faced death daily as a fighter pilot in the first World War. His outlook on living life to the full irrespective of age was inspirational. I was also fortunate enough to meet Eric 'Winkle' Brown and R A 'Bob' Hoover when they were in their 90's who likewise still thought of themselves as teenagers. 

Now in my 70's I try to live like them.

• Like 3

Take each day as it comes D D, 

I am 87 still fly every opportunity and  build models like there is no tomorrow. When I am gone the local club can have what they want, none of my family are interested in building or flying. I have had a great deal of pleasure from them and that is all that matters. 

• Like 3

The man in the pic below is my grandfather David Davies.[ good name that ] 

He was in his late twenty's when the Great War started in 1914 and went straight to sign up but had to peddle his bike 30mls to the nearest recrutement office where recrute's were given a basic medical which Taid [north welsh for grandfather ] failed and was rejected for military service. [ had he gone later on he would probably been accepted anyway given the casualty rate]

He was told he had a weak heart and should take it easy for the rest of his life!  He worked hard in farming in the days when it was mostly manual labour.

Still helping on the farm in his 80's and zooming around in his Mini Cooper until 94 years and lived to 100years.

Brat's in pic are myself and sister.

Taid Penlan.JPG

Edited by J D 8
  • Like 3

"Apparently the median age at death for the average British male is 80.9 years." I hear what you say DD but according to the ONS there is a very large increase in deaths per 1000 of the population between 76 and 78 ie it's when most people die. The figure you quote is 'pulled up' by a minority, a growing minority, living very much longer lives.

Your genetic make up may well indicate long life but many events/ill health can de rate this. My relatives live/have lived to mid 80's to mid 90's. I met my great grandmother when I was 4 and she was 93, which meant she was born in 1858. But I doubt my life will be as long due to a near fatal accident that has left me with a non functioning pancreas and therefore insulin dependant. Over recent years I've lost people suddenly. My best friend of 56 years died in 2019 at 72, another good friend died some years back at 70, and another in 2021 at 76. Same club as Alex and he died at 71 and two other members of the club have died the second half of this year. Personally, once your in the back end of life anything could happen at any time. In the past year I've had two bad bouts of illness that have left me significantly physically less capable. I'm 75. Still interested in aero modelling but standing in a cold wet field in North Wales holds no attraction for me.