Come on Weston Park !!!!!

Martins comment above is correct. Presently aided by increase in costs and less disposable cash. Those traders that do go im sure will have a worthwhile weekend, that said limited competition maymean fewer price reduction. 

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Weston Park today. I’ve been every time for years as it’s my “local” show, only 50 miles up the road. What a disappointment.

I was going to buy a pre-booked ticket for £18, but this turned into £19.90 by the time the various booking and admin fees were added, then they wanted my name, address, email, phone number, etc. so I bailed out, preferring to pay ananymously on the gate.

Arrived at 9am, four lanes to pay, 3 staff members, of course I picked the lane with no one on it and behind someone who wanted to pay by card which they couldn’t handle. After he’d gone, I was ignored. I should have just driven in, don’t think they would have noticed as it as chaotic, but I’m too honest. After shouting “Who can take my money” out of the window for a few minutes someone came over. “A bit of a mess” I said and they said that several expected staff had not turned up. I suggested that they only opened enough lanes for the staff they had.

Once in and parked I was totally underwhelmed by the stands - more sweet/sunglasses/toys/charity stalls than modelling gear. Many of the modelling stands were very expensive jets or giant aerobatic stuff, hardly any average club flyer stuff.

The display line was also disappointing. Half the models have been there in previous years and the volume of models seemed about half that of previous shows.

Very poor value for £23.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, David P Williams said:

Went to Weston Park today. I’ve been every time for years as it’s my “local” show, only 50 miles up the road. What a disappointment.

I was going to buy a pre-booked ticket for £18, but this turned into £19.90 by the time the various booking and admin fees were added, then they wanted my name, address, email, phone number, etc. so I bailed out, preferring to pay ananymously on the gate.

Arrived at 9am, four lanes to pay, 3 staff members, of course I picked the lane with no one on it and behind someone who wanted to pay by card which they couldn’t handle. After he’d gone, I was ignored. I should have just driven in, don’t think they would have noticed as it as chaotic, but I’m too honest. After shouting “Who can take my money” out of the window for a few minutes someone came over. “A bit of a mess” I said and they said that several expected staff had not turned up. I suggested that they only opened enough lanes for the staff they had.

Once in and parked I was totally underwhelmed by the stands - more sweet/sunglasses/toys/charity stalls than modelling gear. Many of the modelling stands were very expensive jets or giant aerobatic stuff, hardly any average club flyer stuff.

The display line was also disappointing. Half the models have been there in previous years and the volume of models seemed about half that of previous shows.

Very poor value for £23.

Balanced view?

• You decided not to buy on line
  • You decided to turn up at probably the busiest time for getting into Weston Park although you live "local"
  • Ok there were less stands than previous, what do you expect from a hobby that is dying?
  • Plenty of stalls selling ARTF stuff, SLEC balsa and carbon composites if you wanted 
  • Half the display line have been there previous years. What's the cost of a good size IC warbird £5k to £10k, yeah like I would be changing a model every year
  • Cambria funfighters , expensive?
  • Very poor value for £23. well that's your opinion. I am not saying it was good value, but no one was forcing you to attend.

• Flying included something for everyone including a good display by full size. Sure they would be criticised if it was focused on only one type.
  • Stands were not rammed packed and I could hold some meaningful conversations with suppliers that I would not normally be able to
  • Sales for foam chuck glides seemed to do well..even if the parents put the wings on upside down!

In perspective I could have used the M6 toll at £14.30 or sat in the que for 30 minutes, making a round trip 6 hours.

It is what it is, don't attend or whine about it and they will probably not bother the following year, but that won't mean people will automatically go to another show just less shows.

Tin hat on and off to the shed. 😉

• Thanks 1

I went Friday, no queues either to get in or throughout the show.

Got everything on my shopping list + other bits my Clubmates asked for - thanks to Nexus, Balsa Cabin, Als Hobbies, Jeti UK & Component Shop. The discounts & postage savings pretty well offset the £15 admission fee. 

Plenty of display flying going on, not particularly my scene but some of it (B2 Bomber, SU-30's (?)) stopped me in my tracks and demanded my attention.

Met some nice folk & had a thoroughly enjoyable day out. 

• Like 1

@John Lee- Pretty much describes my experience as well.  The trade area looked smaller, but outfits like SLEC were 'hosting' smaller concerns like Belair (sorely tempted by the Sopwith Triplane) and Permagrit.  Despite my earlier reservations, three of us went up and had a 'Grand Day Out'.

Yes we went Saturday (2 hour trip) arrived at 09:30 ish no queing and apart from the initial downpour that stopped the Biplane display it turned into a great days display Dawn patrol always a favourite with me but the Su30s and the 11 year old flying Aerobatics all day great skills shown. The mad pyro Ring of Fire good fun and Amazing fireworks at the end. Brilliant day out .TJD Displays and Dave wilshere commentating on the large Flybaby? with Barbie on board.

We took our own food this year but had several Icecreams.

Needed matchsticks for the M1 on the way home arrived back at 1 am Sunday morning.

Why do these shows cost so much?   It's just a field - they charge the traders,  model display pilots presumably don't get paid  and then they charge the spectators for entry!   Who gets all the money?  The field owners? Organisers? 

Would anyone pay to go into a shopping centre and go into Marks & Spencer, Boots, etc, etc   - of course not! So why should we pay at a model show  if the model traders have to pay to have a stand? 

A model show at Old Warden is a better day out and at least the entrance fee goes to the museum for their aircraft.  If only Balsa Cabin or SLEC or anyone selling balsa etc could be persuaded to have a stand there!

Edited by kc

25 minutes ago, kc said:

Why do these shows cost so much?   It's just a field - they charge the traders,  model display pilots presumably don't get paid  and then they charge the spectators for entry!   Who gets all the money?  The field owners? Organisers? 

Would anyone pay to go into a shopping centre and go into Marks & Spencer, Boots, etc, etc   - of course not! So why should we pay at a model show  if the model traders have to pay to have a stand? 

A model show at Old Warden is a better day out and at least the entrance fee goes to the museum for their aircraft.  If only Balsa Cabin or SLEC or anyone selling balsa etc could be persuaded to have a stand there!

I'm afraid you can't get a Pie and a Pint for 2 Shillings now!

3 hours ago, kc said:

Event Insurance, third party insurance, toilet hire, first aid cover, location hire, plant hire; possibly they have to pay people for site prep, marshalling, post-event clean-up; pyrotechnics (including fife brigade); presumably they have to pay for full size displays........... I suspect there ae MANY other costs we are unaware of.  

• Like 8

Weston Park was always a favourite of mine, not been for a few years though, mojos not what it was.

£20 ish for a days entertainment ? Seems very reasonable to me, trade stands and deals being what it was, are gone for good and WE played a big part in that happening.

Who gets the money ? seems pretty obvious to me, those providing the venue, those taking the risks and putting in the work. Hope they made a few quid and continue to put in the effort in years to come, hobby needs these kind of people.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...