Summer 2023 is here, who has been flying then?

23 minutes ago, Erfolg said:

The jet now finally takes to the sky, trailing white smoke behind, eventually it landed, a first flight, some called it a maiden. I think, why?

Erf, I have great respect for your mental ability, and with the lubricating powers of Whiskey, you can work that out.

Advert

Well, it's winter in the southern hemisphere and we've had a really wet one so far. Mind you, that's better than the recent drought where we almost ran out of water. But with an almost summers day forecast, a mate and I took off this one day last week. Pinocchio hasn't been flown lately, so it got an outing.  Lunch on the coals, as usual...

• Like 6

Brilliant weekend at the Pontefract PANDAS electric fly-in and single channel retro event. Well worth the long trip down south.  I had a great time, met lots of lovely people-dedicated traditional aeromodellers all, super chat banter and even managed a few hairy flights in short gaps in the weather. Really pleased to meet the luminaries of the vintage radio resurgence and a fantastic Yorkshire welcome from the PANDAS folks. Got to spend some time with Tim, who I hadn't seen for a dozen years, saw lots of beautiful wee models, some amazing scratch built radios, vintage stuff, control liners, my first visit to a model show tent for ages with the excellent folk of Retro Modeller and overall was the modelling highlight of the year so far. Really was everything I most enjoy about the hobby. Phil, Shaun and the other organisers did a grand job.

I didn't get to fly the two models I'd built for the event - the closest to that being when I opened the tailgate the wind grabbed my Schoolboy wing and sent it barrelling down the carpark, cracking the mainspar. No way would the wee model have flown in those conditions, but the wing got a short flight in!

• Like 2

We had the LMA at our club field all weekend for their annual garden party.

The weather was absolutely shocking with strong winds and heavy rain apart from Sunday when it was just windy.

I only went on the Saturday and flew inbetween the rain.

Definitely challenging conditions, the flying was

nt to bad, just landing was very tricky with the turbulent air.

Still we all had a great time with no major damage and got some decent flights in.

• Like 1

Slope in 30mph is more fun than a barrel of monkeys, a bit more challenging on the flat, but still loads of fun - I'm still buzzin' from the few flights that I dared to brave the strong winds at Pontefract over the weekend - and Phil has been kind enough to produce a video showing some of the highlights.

• Like 5

Superb morning in a short weather window of very light winds, blue skies and fluffy clouds this morning, just for a few hours. Could have been in a completely different country than the weekend. Ten the showers arrived.

Successful maiden flight for my KK Outlaw - probably the best maiden flight I've ever had and really pleased with the model, possibly the first time I've just completely let go of the sticks and let the model fly itself from shortly after launching - not a click of trim needed, just like in the magazine. 🙂 Flying shots will have to wait for the single channel maiden, which is yet to come.

DSC_0637.thumb.jpg.49faa3e882e3916e96446e20fbd2ecea.jpg

DSC_0638.thumb.jpg.4aa5214e09c72d636f8bcd2ecac7dae9.jpg

That came after a successful maiden flight of my wee Ken Willard Schoolboy, though with some issues, such as refusing to turn right - gentle landing just off the strip though, so no harm done.

DSC_0631.thumb.jpg.52de62e2ad15e3bfbe015001f99d0fe9.jpg

• Like 4

On 17/07/2023 at 05:54, GrumpyGnome said:

Not me. Went to Flying Legends at Church Fenton (near York). Awesome! Very highly recommended.

My son and I went too on the Saturday, impressive lightning before the show but the highlight was the Sea Fury pass at 400 kts (480 mph). Sadly more weather meant the Balbo was cancelled

Edited by john davidson 1
  • Like 1

A great after work session, took the Jive for a change which was great fun throwing around the sky in the warm light wind.

To the south which passed behind me and paragliders were flying under.😳

PXL_20230719_162244730.thumb.jpg.50d503a236c3bd154ac824ba81b574aa.jpg

To the north in front of me.

PXL_20230719_162121617.thumb.jpg.1b51ffbfeb3bada0dd3689014abb7178.jpg

Insects loved the orange 🙄

PXL_20230719_162145936.thumb.jpg.8298ddd5a953f5a7469d5de2764ed81a.jpg

Edited by PDB
  • Like 2

It must be summer as my model's clean-down yesterday was as much to remove splattered bugs as it was fuel residue.

Red on the back of the prop too, don't remember seeing that before.

Must take more photos - the phone gets left in the car and forgotten..........................

• Like 2

Managed two flights before it started raining and had a mad dash for the car 😠 spent far longer packing/unpacking, assembling/disassembling than flying..... 

Good job I have a cheerful demeanour.

Edited by GrumpyGnome
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Reasonably decent weather for a change yesterday so had a go a GPS Triangle flying with my big glider. First flight at about mid day turned out to be the best, and I managed 9 laps of the triangle (1600m perimeter) in just under 30 minutes using a few thermals on the way.

I still find looking at the GPS traces of the flights is fascinating, and looking at the weather for the weekend is the closest I will get to flying for  few days ☹️

Dick

9 lap flight.jpg

Edited by Dickw
  • Like 1