Summer 2023 is here, who has been flying then?

Advert

Well, whatever next! Yesterday I started a little diesel engine for the first time all by myself 😀

A Boddo Mills .75 in dad's 36" Tomboy (rudder elevator). The tank had a 2-min run time, the model climbed slowly then floated down with a few suggestions from the Tx. 

I have to say it was great fun and I was a bit smitten.... 

394A5514.JPG

• Like 8

Good afternoon on the slop 17-20mph SW wind, but warm and sunny so great fun, not even marred by having to retreive  my poor wee Lidl glider from part way down the front of the slope, having fallen out of the sky at the end of the flight -and a long walk to collect my Zagi from the back of the slope on another flight. DAW Messerschmitt Bf109 loved it though and managed just about the only decent landing of the day - all of the others being arrivals. No damage though - all EPP was definitely the order of the day and worth it's weight in gold.

• Like 1

On 21/08/2023 at 09:59, David Ashby - Moderator said:

Well, whatever next! Yesterday I started a little diesel engine for the first time all by myself 😀

A Boddo Mills .75 in dad's 36" Tomboy (rudder elevator). The tank had a 2-min run time, the model climbed slowly then floated down with a few suggestions from the Tx. 

I have to say it was great fun and I was a bit smitten.... 

394A5514.JPG

So beautiful and graceful. 

2 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Think yourself lucky living in England with your rain and cold winds, 28°c at 8am here, 31° at 9am when I stopped flying 41° announced again.😈

Well I'm in the east of England, 20°c , sun shining, 5mph wind and I'm stuck in waiting for the washing machine repairman🤦

• Like 2

Had the chance to pop down the field today first thing. 

Light winds therefore I took my Pilot RC Slick 67" for a spin.

IMG_0798.thumb.JPG.98e4f66d6a59ec866c831778cdbd3ea2.JPG

Nobody seems to be in the office so I just hope the auto pilot is working to the fullest advantage!!

Four flights to be had and it was a good job I had the various-focals on as the smaller aircraft seem to be indistinct without them. Lovely session nevertheless.

• Like 3

Absolute scorching day,no cloud or wind to speak of got the D7 maiden after an aborted first takeoff due to loss of power, thought the engine may be a bit hot(I know I was!) Popped the top of the cowl off and all Ok then

IMG_20230823_145153648_MFNR.thumb.jpg.e619e2e0829d01e615de9753e47aa597.jpg

IMG_20230823_145207739_MFNR.thumb.jpg.da301f8f2113edcd283f7215afec0a02.jpg

IMG_20230823_145232222_MFNR.thumb.jpg.05310e9120463d4c1b0978306ef94024.jpg

didn't get to maiden the tiger yet due to carb issues 

• Like 5

Unexpected and rare evening trip to the field on a search and rescue mission for a clubmate's model that had gone down in the barley earlier today.  Found the model no problem but damage was quite severe -still the gear was all recovered. Took the opportunity to give a maiden flight to my latest Spitfire, a depron Funnyfighter passed on by another pal yesterday - a hour's fettling fitted all the requisite gear from stock and she was ready to go. The model is great fun, flies very well and gives a chuckle - I think I might knock up a matching Bf109E for some streamer combat. Also had some good formation flights with the wee fellers in the fading light - an illustration that the nights are starting to draw in.

IMG_2019.thumb.JPEG.49b1be350c6f33c88b0d4f4a1acd9524.JPEG

• Like 3

Had the opprtunity to test the trim changes I had made to my current F3A airframe, the Anthem, in today's near calm.  I was trying to fix a pull to canopy on the vertical upline and had increased the wing incidence from 0.7 deg to 1 deg.  This was still not enough so I tried a slight increase in down thrust.  It is now very close to perfect but I think it's now worth moving the incidence adjusters as they have hit their limit.  Another half or full turn will probably be needed.

It is surprising how an increase in incidence can fix these problems.  The explanation is that for the same datum speed, more wing incidence means there is less down force needed from the tailplane as the fuselage needs to sit a little higher than before to reduce the wing incidence to allow level flight with the wing at the same incidence to the airflow as before..  In a verticle upline with no wing lift the reduction in the tailplane down force reduces and there comes a point when the pitch to canopy is eliminated.  It works!

I was also able to get, and give feedback to a friend flying F3A aerobatics today.  It really is very helpful to have input from a fellow competition pilot as most club pilots are not best placed to see the problems with F3A type flying.  We both benefitted from these mutual crtiques.

• Like 1

Rather a hot one today (27º), breezy this morning but as Peter said, nearly flat calm for most of the afternoon and 13 of us at the field. took the Hurri but couldn't get it to run on both cylinders, later traced to a partially broken remote glow lead. Still we have another Fun Day on Sunday so fingers crossed for then.

1 hour ago, Peter Jenkins said:

Had the opprtunity to test the trim changes I had made to my current F3A airframe, the Anthem, in today's near calm.  I was trying to fix a pull to canopy on the vertical upline and had increased the wing incidence from 0.7 deg to 1 deg.  This was still not enough so I tried a slight increase in down thrust.  It is now very close to perfect but I think it's now worth moving the incidence adjusters as they have hit their limit.  Another half or full turn will probably be needed.

It is surprising how an increase in incidence can fix these problems.  The explanation is that for the same datum speed, more wing incidence means there is less down force needed from the tailplane as the fuselage needs to sit a little higher than before to reduce the wing incidence to allow level flight with the wing at the same incidence to the airflow as before..  In a verticle upline with no wing lift the reduction in the tailplane down force reduces and there comes a point when the pitch to canopy is eliminated.  It works!

I was also able to get, and give feedback to a friend flying F3A aerobatics today.  It really is very helpful to have input from a fellow competition pilot as most club pilots are not best placed to see the problems with F3A type flying.  We both benefitted from these mutual crtiques.

Useful explanation, Peter. Thanks for that. Glad you had a successful session 👍

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

Nah, we were bored watching flying fish! 🤣

You calling my plane a Tuna?

The beauty is in the lines they fly not the looks of the airframe, man and machine in perfect harmony.

A case of horses for courses but it's a very varied hobby aeromodelling, and all the better for it.

• Like 4