The 'share your photos' thread (not model flying)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I needed to take a break from building RC planes as I'm running out of hanger space and have just spent the last few weeks building this.

IMG_20210226_183711.thumb.jpg.f957febad6c19a0c60f3ab605c971b19.jpg

IMG_20210226_183809.thumb.jpg.313591eede3fbdbad3dae1ce7243d13a.jpg

You could just put the key in and ride away, oh the memories

IMG_20210226_183652.thumb.jpg.b5e84494b6f87c17e1a617e4a67581c3.jpg

Under the points cover there are even the points and condensers and an oil filter inside the filter cover

IMG_20210225_193553.thumb.jpg.98d84f001386abe3d523f3857158406e.jpg

Even the rear shocks have real springs

IMG_20210226_184211.thumb.jpg.addd988be93338406d7a49eeebf1b9fb.jpg

I had hoped it would have been a little bigger this is 1/12th scale and the scale detail is tremendous albeit on the small side with my big fat fingers I had to build most of with tweezers and the number of small pieces that I dropped on the floor and then spent ages looking for I lost count. Some pieces were 1mm across.

IMG_20210114_220054.thumb.jpg.c798b3ac7baa85fa7e40b2ba1ee836b9.jpg

My old bike back in 1993 not long after this photo was taken some low life stole it and burnt it, I was totally gutted.

This kit is by Aoshima available from Kent Models.

I enjoyed building this model, a change from balsa,  although some parts were a little fiddly to fit/assemble, the whole build took me back to my youth all those years ago.

Regards

Robert

• Like 4

I remember these with affection in my late teens, along with the 550 four and the 750 four. The days when you could ride a 250 on a provisional licence, the bikes had more character back then and you could tell what was coming down the road by its sound. Now, it seems that just about every bike looks very similar to the next. Or, perhaps I'm wearing my rose tinted glasses today?

This is what I had in 1977.....would still look good today in my opinion.

yamaha rd250dx.jpg

• Like 2

Hi All,

Over the years I had three 400fours and a total of 15 bike over 17 years. 

Like DD my first real bike after my moped was a Honda 250N Super Dream (CKG 824 V) in blue, and they were everywhere along with the RD 250's.

Steve, you are right you could tell what bike was coming down the road by it's exhaust note. The two strokes with their "ring ting ting ting" sound and blue smoke from the exhausts and the deeper four stroke note, put some spun bellmouths on the carbs and the sound was even beter, well it was on my Z650 with Motad exhaust.

EPSON034.thumb.JPG.2a55d1f13c2ec799e6cd6ab61e616cc4.JPG

Top left the same 400Four but in street racer mode with K&N air filters and multi fit belly pan, top right, CB900F, with a claimed top speed of 140mph but a bit slow in the mid range (for me), bottom left VF750 this was the predecessor of the VFR, I was plagued with electrical faults with this one, but I ride from Cardiff to Holyhead to Birmingham and back to Cardiff in 12 hours and 550 miles, I was bored I wanted to know where the A470 ended. and finally bottom right, the "plastic pig" as they were know a CX500 with king and queen seat, the original was like a plank, pull back bars and 3/4 fairing with a car radio cassette player and two 50 watt speakers covered with plastic, you could hear it upto 100 mph.

Those were the years, how I survived them I'm not sure someone must have been looking down on me. 

I would like another but my wife will not allow it, she says she spends too much time putting riders back together and does not want me to be another and to be honest I think with the sheer volume of traffic (pre-covid) and I think she has a point.

I'll stick with model aircraft.

Regards

Robert

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 13/05/2021 at 14:35, Ron Gray said:

Absolutely lovely Red, after building a Triton a few years back I’ve still got a couple of T140 engines, a T120 engine and loads of spare parts in my workshop!

I’d certainly agree that’s an impressive restoration.

Sadly, my 1968 T120 was reduced to the frame, rear wheel, mudguard and seat by a combination of a thief and the ineptitude (which is putting it kindly) of the local police. 

There’s so much missing that I can’t see me ever rebuilding it but you never know what might turn up one day so it remains in my garage in eternal hope.  

Arr I miss my 68 T120 with testicle remover on the tank. 

8 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Sadly, my 1968 T120 was reduced to the frame, rear wheel, mudguard and seat by a combination of a thief and the ineptitude (which is putting it kindly) of the local police. 

There’s so much missing that I can’t see me ever rebuilding it but you never know what might turn up one day so it remains in my garage in eternal hope.  

Sorry I digress but a happy story Martin. - Friend was selling his K100 someone looked at it then nicked it that night. Unfortunately insurance had lapsed ?. He was a MOT tester and 6 months later a BMW K100 was presented which contained "parts" of his bike. On the test ride he called at the local police station but they were in no hurry to help. So he and the shop owner confronted the guy who promptly offered him the bike there and then. Declined as registered stolen. Guy then offered him the full asking price which he accepted. He left £1k and returned with the balance the following day. Turns out he was a local crook and bought the parts legitimately (so he thought) so as not to get caught for something simple. A week or so later a petty theft scroat is seen with a a broken leg. Justice and he did get his asking price all be it 6 mths later.

Back to share photos:

• Like 1

All I can say is don't give up anything is possible. My quest was 4 years almost to the day plus a bit of on road sorting, but when I got it, it was little more than a rolling chassis with missing seat,lights,indicators,side panels, air boxes, it was fitted with rearsets, missing standard footrests/brake, some electric bits and most wiring broken or missing, rusted wheels ..uugh., and on taking the head off hc pistons were fitted no no no. The boxes of parts were mostly unusable - but I did get a 5 gallon ali tank with Monza cap. It also had the tax disc still on it from I guess when it was last used Dec/91 which I still have. I think someone had tried to convert it to a cafe racer and perhaps just given up or lost interest or moved on. So my advise is to not give up but just small bytes of the elephant, even if it does take some time. I'm a southerner, but you will then end up with, as I think they say up north 'that'll do' and of course its nice to save those classic things too.

I also had a T120 purchased from Moore's in Tottenham North London in 1972 with the front drum brake. Its reg still appears on the .gov website.