Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

1 hour ago, stu knowles said:

Beautiful S6b, congratulations!!  I followed your build thread with great interest so nice to see the finish.

You did so much design work, I hope that you will consider making it available to others.  It so clearly deserves it.

Agree that the flying shots would be improved with a pilot bust on board

Now that it is a flight-proven design, I am indeed thinking of making a short kit available; without any accessories, just laser-cut wooden parts. I am starting to talk to some laser-cutting companies about this.

I probably will put a pilot bust in there now. There is a whole lot of other scale detail I could add, but I don't know if and when I am going to get round to that!  I have started design work on another Schneider racer (the Gloster VI "Golden Arrow), and I have more energy around that at the moment. 

Some videos have appeared on Facebook of the first flights of my S6b, courtesy of the British Waterplanes Association and Seaplanes Scotland. I am posting the links here:

The first, from the British Waterplane Associations Facebook page, shows Ian Redshaw (who piloted the first flights) doing final tuning of the engine with me holding the nose of the plane up:

https://www.facebook.com/100000748249121/videos/pcb.2643030045993299/138055481863848

This second one shows the first take-off (with a bounce!) and then Ian trimming the plane:

https://www.facebook.com/100000748249121/videos/pcb.2643030045993299/250276530330413

The third, which appeared on the Seaplane Scotland Facebook page, shows about a minute of fly-pasts from the second flight:

https://www.facebook.com/100000901542611/videos/287149706159872/

Remember to increase the resolution of the videos (in the Settings) and turn on the volume to hear the Laser 200V engine sound!

• Like 2

I'll post a full report in the ASM Tigercat Laser thread, but needless to say I maiden the model (previous club member had flown it a few times and a few years ago) however a few things needed changing/fixing. It certainly lets you know its a big warbird (to me anyway) and in blustery conditions carved up the sky a treat!

As ever the Laser engines performed 100% and required no major trim changes, hopefully a video to follow at some point.

20210917_135919.thumb.jpg.d6d87c697c927d7be57d346db2f01277.jpg

• Like 3

Time to have a bit of fun ?

I had a TN Ta154 wing left over from its untimely meeting with the ground (either RX (Lemon) or ESC over temp shutdown 1 of 2) and had a need for speed so with the three pronged approach and a bit of cobbling commenced.

Firstly frontal area kept to a minimum and secondly cane a 4S3300 lipo as hard as you can. Oh and easy to launch?

One of the club members designed and printed a couple of nose cones, but then suggested something more in keeping with the Focke Stick performance!

With counter rotating props a 1 Kg of model and 1Kw of WOT the launcher holds both booms until they think they are going with it and let go...simples !

20210919_091935.thumb.jpg.a17b108873df7367eb74d134510f6eca.jpg

Enjoy this morning fun!

https://youtu.be/78Yuq7AL3Cc

PS glides like a manhole cover and is just a lot of fun!

Jensen Das Ugly Stik built from a hangaronekits plan pack, my first. It flew very well from the start but landing was a problem it kept loosing it's undercarriage. After the third time I parked it up. Two years later I have fixed it, it flies the same as before and so far has not lost it's undercarriage.? I must have learned something.

IMG_20210920_100648833_HDR.thumb.jpg.f2f124c39579b9fad09bc6ae9ae071fd.jpg

I made a good job by gluing the snakes to all the formers? constant retrimming is required. My excuse is that it was built before I discovered this forum and didn't know any better.  

• Like 1

Winter project was this Trislander based on Robin Fowler's 80" plan.  Motors as recommended by George at 4-max (thanks)  on 9"x 4.5" props.  Used a single 3s 6000mAh battery.  Flies really nicely. I just need to brush up on my landings.  It put on some weight with the mods I did and came out at 12.6lbs, but it would not fit in the car otherwise.

Trislander Passing01.jpg

Trislander Breakdown.jpg

• Like 13

This came my way last month - a quite well used airframe with some minor hangar rash which had mouldered in the store room of a local model shop for several years. It was basically serviceable and had the benefit of a very good Saito 182 twin, onboard glow and smoke system so I snapped it up when it was offered for a very reasonable price. 

C5CB3AC9-1941-4918-B6C9-DE0BF7E19A41.thumb.jpeg.20baad4137289557ee8bd277b0606c79.jpeg

CMP Christen Eagle

It’s quite a heavy model @7kg auw for its 62” span and I’ve been a bit paranoid about things suddenly going quiet, having experienced the glide characteristics of similar Pitts Specials, so I have done some careful fuel consumption checks. They didn’t help much when a throttle linkage detached though and I quickly confirmed that it had a similar dead stick glide angle to a Centurian tank…

No harm done, it’s had plenty of flying over the last few weeks although the smoke system has provided some challenges. 

• Like 4

Ref: Cloud Dancer.

Hi Roy

That's a very pretty little model, and you've obviously made a good job of it.

However, how easy or difficult was the build?

Reason I ask is, some time ago, I bought a T30 low wing trainer from the same maker.

Not to put too fine a point on it, it was awful.

Non existent instructions, parts cut wrongly, and overly complex structure.

Struggled with it for a while, even contacted DW about it, but eventually decided it would never be a model I could show in daylight, so in the bin it went. Pity, it wasn't cheap either.

Anyway, interested to hear of your experience of the build, good or bad.

Thanks

Jeff

Just finished my latest plane a WOT4 PRO, been after one of these for some time, anyway found a BNIB artf, they came with an Irvine 39 but mine was just the airframe.

Being a four stroke only type these days decided to fit a Saito 62 which is about 45gms heavier than the Irvine, managed to save most of that with a modded engine mount (most of it is missing in order to get the motor far enough back !!) a cheapo light weight spinner and a smaller fuel tank. Very pleased that the AUW is 4lbs 2.5ozs which is about 3 oz lighter than the spec. The thing with these was that even with the Irvine motor, they came out very nose heavy, think they did so much lightning at the back, they should have made the nose shorter !! To get the CG right on mine I mounted the Futaba 3003 Elevator and rudder servos at the back.... Test flight this weekend, with a bit of luck !!

wot4 pro.jpg

• Like 3

Flite Test FT 3D from the downloaded plan using Hobbycraft foamboard. Maidenhead today. Plans are at https://www.flitetest.com/articles/ft-3d-scratch-build

Usually the heavier Hobbycraft board makes the models tail heavy, so this time I removed the paper both sides for most of the structure, which is half the weight. Left it on the non-moving parts of the tail for stiffness. Covered with laminating film, courtesy of @Ron Gray, thank you. It ended up rather nose heavy!IMG_20210925_173446672.thumb.jpg.b7f7b3e5ce0f08624eed2ce45d809f0d.jpg

After a number of short hairy flights an increasingly big bag of bolts taped to the tail skid calmed it down.

IMG_20210925_173515275.thumb.jpg.ffc19c29bdbef79a3642f5b8f4ecdc5b.jpg

Reasonably axial rolls. I built it because Child_flyer wants to knife edge for real, not just the sim. 

Edited by Dad_flyer
Added link to plans

What do you get if you mix one of these (sorry about the image quality), a Black 5 designed by Dale Tattam around 2001:

large.IMG_0433.JPG.3dd80183cf3eb81fcf0ad710921fd4a3.JPG

With one of these, a Dick Sarpolus 50 Caliber from around 1980?:

large.IMG_0434.JPG.314bf80ccc8d754bb749e5491dbe067b.JPG

You get one of these, a model with no name:

large.IMG_4298.JPG.da2b223827441442733fe7706dfcbf74.JPG

Which had its maiden flight today ?:

large.d4fb290f-f723-4d2b-aed0-abab0b727633.jpg.fb4c5ed94ddc33dabdd7821093d4cadb.jpg

The story is that I had a couple of RCV 58CDs going spare:

large.IMG_3854.JPG.6c23eb74aeefd98d92d8b61c143fc855.JPG

And was looking for something to put them in. The Black 5 was designed to take a pair of Laser 50-70s, so the RCVs seemed an ideal fit. However I considered the Black 5's fuselage to be rather ugly, with its angular 'stealth-like' appearance. A club mate suggested a website (can't remember which one now), which included a number of designs for twin engined models, including the 50 Caliber; although this was smaller and designed to take a pair of 25 2-strokes.

So there begun a process which kept me busy for several months through the 1st & 2nd Covid lockdowns, of scaling the 50 Caliber fuselage plan up by 12%, and modifying it to fit the Black 5 wing, then building from scratch, and adding onboard glow starts, Tx switchable landing lights, strobes and nav lights. It also uses a complicated twin throttle mix, which allows independent throttling of the engines for starting and ground running, and is described here (my post September 7th 2019).

By this morning, a number of technical issues had been fixed, including how far forward to cant the undercarriage legs to stop it from nosing over when power was applied, the weather was fine with favourable winds, and I'd finally run out of excuses (we've all been there!). So it had to fly...

Edited by EvilC57
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, EvilC57 said:

What do you get if you mix one of these (sorry about the image quality), a Black 5 designed by Dale Tattam around 2001:

With one of these, a Dick Sarpolus 50 Caliber from around 1980?:

You get one of these, a model with no name:

Which had its maiden flight today ?:

The story is that I had a couple of RCV 58CDs going spare:

And was looking for something to put them in. The Black 5 was designed to take a pair of Laser 50-70s, so the RCVs seemed an ideal fit. However I considered the Black 5's fuselage to be rather ugly, with its angular 'stealth-like' appearance. A club mate suggested a website (can't remember which one now), which included a number of designs for twin engined models, including the 50 Caliber; although this was smaller and designed to take a pair of 25 2-strokes.

So there begun a process which kept me busy for several months through the 1st & 2nd Covid lockdowns, of scaling the 50 Caliber fuselage plan up by 12%, and modifying it to fit the Black 5 wing, then building from scratch, and adding onboard glow starts, Tx switchable landing lights, strobes and nav lights. It also uses a complicated twin throttle mix, which allows independent throttling of the engines for starting and ground running, and is described here (my post September 7th 2019).

By this morning, a number of technical issues had been fixed, including how far forward to cant the undercarriage legs to stop it from nosing over when power was applied, the weather was fine with favourable winds, and I'd finally run out of excuses (we've all been there!). So it had to fly...

You're a brave man, Evil, flying twin IC rather than leccy!  Looks great!

Twins (either electric or IC) are not difficult to fly and can be very rewarding apart from my Ta154, but that was not a engine issue so does not really count. Interestingly I have had more electric one out issues than with IC over the years, one resulting in a very bicycle clip moment with an electric mossie.

I would have made my GTC ic but for two reasons, firstly find cost effective 4 stroke engines that size is not easy, secondly I want to practice one engine out and electric gives me a restart option. 

Advice given to me and it really applies to all flying.

• Always have a plan B, if it dead sticks where are you going to go for safety and then minimum damage to the model, if you have plenty of height and airspeed nurse it around, if not "Bob Hoover - fly it as far into the crash site as possible" twins normally land quit nicely on their nacelles!
  • Preparation is key, follow manufacturers advice and put the tanks in the right place, set the engines up correctly and don't fire wall on takeoff
  • If it isn't right then don't push it and fly anyway, a sick engine on the ground will not improve in flight

By the way Evil - very nice twin you have there, all the best for many hours of flying with the super sound of a twin!

PS - nearly 40% of my collection are either electric or IC twins...Do I have a problem?