Winter is here....who's been flying?

Advert

I left about 90 minutes after that photo as the undercarriage lost its fight with the frozen ground.  It was snowing as I unpacked the car after my 4 minute drive home.... snow outside this morning too.  Just a few mm of it......

Edited by GrumpyGnome

Due to the dire weather, the closest we have got to flying recently has been the static judging of this years club model, the Bill Kits "BIG FUN".

Eleven were purchased and eight made it to the start line.

Some more complete than others, and not sure where that red trainer came from!.

All in all a good club night with much discussion as to modifications etc etc.

The plan is to fly them at regular fun events throughout the year, with a winner declared next December.

DSC_7304s.JPG

DSC_7305s.JPG

DSC_7306s.JPG

DSC_7307s.JPG

DSC_7308s.JPG

DSC_7309s.JPG

DSC_7310s.JPG

DSC_7311s.JPG

DSC_7312s.JPG

DSC_7313s.JPG

Edited by SIMON CRAGG
  • Like 2

Another frosty start then cloudless with no wind in Perth  like the last few days so my son Ian and i set off for the field.  Edf Lidl glider , volantex P51 for me and Ian had foam Wot 4 and volantex P40 which somehow encountered a small tree, small enough to get down with the clubs long hook. Saw Bobs clips flying three , yes three volantex fighters simultaneously on one tx. Clips are on my i phone , tried to email to my laptop so I can put them here with no luck, will try another way. Forecast says we we  are to get the weather tomorrow pm so will make whoopee in the morning

• Like 1

The BBC said today'd be cold, with light winds, so I got some planes ready:

Valiant - of course

Riot

Hawk

P51 (just to sort engime out)

Ruckus

Arrived at field about 8:45. BBC correct about temp but wind nearer 12 than 4!  Three of us braved it and had a right laugh.

At home thawing out nicely...

20230315_100015.thumb.jpg.4944c3a6e586db2b3670532ca8b60a18.jpg

Went to the field to fly the VQ Giant Stick and run two more tanks of fuel through the Saito FG21. Despite the first signs of spring I was on my own at Winterton, no coat or gloves needed and fleece removed as the spring like sunshine warmed up to a pleasant 15 C.

I have a 8 ounce tank which gives 25 minutes at mainly half throttle on the ground, this first 5.2 litres of fuel is taking some getting through.

Just as I started packing up Mike and his Mum turned up and were surprised to see only me at the field. Mike helped me pack up which was much appreciated as he has loads more experience cleaning IC models, I have next to none BTW.

Another fun day for me. ☺️

Steve

• Like 1

A couple of flight's with my Skyraider out with the Irvine .60 'marine' and in with my last acquisition an old OS .80 fs, a bit under powered and I am having trouble with my modified retracts for them to twist and turn as the ball links come off now and again, luckily when taxing.

These are my modified P 40 ones with aluminum ball links, my Skyraider has Hirobo helicopter plastic ones.

p 40 retracts HK.jpg  2-2048.jpg

Os 80 skyraider.jpg

Put a dozen tanks through my Ruckus, now I have identified that the 'galloping ghost' aileron was a receiver issue.... no, I've never come across that before either! A matter of 10 mins had the aileron assigned to a different channel and mixes fixed. A thorough range check and off we go (the receiver's now gone in the bin!). Cowl to be added, possibly revert the undercarriage to rake backwards, then just enjoy!

Broke my only 12 x 6 prop nosing over my P51 on 2nd flight, so that just watched.

Lovely day but on my own for most of it....

20230319_094817.thumb.jpg.868d2afd56ae605304f9dd95ce3cc082.jpg

Lovely day here yesterday afternoon, 20th March 2023. Took the EP Super 60 and the ARTF Acrowot to the flying field.

Unfortunately with the Acrowot I failed to set the tick over properly on the transmitter and the engine cut after a three-turn spin. Fearing that the model wouldn't make the runway I approached far too fast, overshot the entire length of the 80 metre runway and landed in the winter wheat on the other side of the runway! It sprung the glue joint where the undercarriage joins the fuselage.

All part of the fun!

20th March 2023   2.jpg

20th  March 2023.jpg

Great day in the North East. Light to zero wind, flew from 11am till 6pm. 14 members turned out today, the most I've seen  for a long time. Flew a Ju87 electric then nitro Acrowot, finished the day with a Seagull 80" Laser powered Chipmunk. Had to make the most of it as the rest of the week is back to bad weather. 

Not me - wife and I laid up with Covid.  Missed a few nice outdoor days, 2 indoor sessions (last one of the season next week), and likely to miss a practice session with the Gnats tomorrow 🙁

Not up to much pottering, or gardening either. We have watched A LOT of TV.......

First time out since January.  Magically, the list of pilots had dropped to just 2 of us, both flying F3A machines.  The wind was at 30 deg to the runway initially strong and gusty and then relenting but not by much!

20230402_155541.thumb.jpg.b12d431c0c0a522137ab56bdbe010c96.jpg

Flying F3A aerobatics really does wonders for the number of days that are flyable!

• Like 1

Nice morning out. Put another 8 flights on the Ruckus - nicely dialled in now. Put on 3 flights on the 'pre-loved' Mustang.... Evo engine now spitting out less black crud! Sadly, 3 flights, 3 nose overs - need to mow the grass. Valiant, Hawk, and Riot stayed in the car

Good company but where was everyone? Never more than 2 in the air......

Looks good tomorrow - hopefully maiden my Seagull P47 kit build.... 🤞