Insanity seems to be setting in

Peter Miller

Posted by Peter Miller on 18/03/2020 08:17:49:
Posted by PatMc on 17/03/2020 21:17:05:
Posted by Peter Miller on 17/03/2020 21:08:32:

I can't help wondering what would have happened if the population had a similar mindset in 1939.

Was there a pandemic in 1939, Peter ?

Yes. IT was called World War 2

The actual virus caused pandemic was in 1919, not helped by all of the returning servicemen spreading it.

I can't help wondering what would have happened if the population had a similar mindset in 1939.

In 1939 there were no credit cards people shopped day to day from the corner shop , no fridges or freezes to hoard food and a good supply of daily newspapers for the toilet

Some numbers.

WW2, UK only, 451 thousand casualties.

Asian flu, 1957, UK, 9 million cases (est), 14 thousand casualties.

Hong Kong flu, 1968, UK 30 thousand casualties.

Coronavirus, UK death predictions vary, but yesterday's BBC article had this:

"The modelling projected that if the UK did nothing, 81% of people would be infected and 510,000 would die from coronavirus by August."

**LINK**

As I kid, I remember by parents reminiscing about the war. Mum was a housewife, dad was a soldier,REME. It seems that population, according to them, was a hot bed of black market goods, profiteering and favoratism. Rose tinted spectacles get darker with time.

Posted by Don Fry on 18/03/2020 09:47:32:

Anyway, day two of lockdown. The day is 15 °C at the moment, climbing to 19° after lunch. Wall to wall sun. Winds 2mph all day. I can feel murderous thoughts creeping in. God has got it in for me. Punishment for my sins.

Plenty of time for building, repairing and fine- tuning engines however!

Edited By David Davis on 18/03/2020 10:17:31

We may all be panicking and get too pessimistic.....according to UK Gov statistics 10895 people died last week (79 more than previous week) while the 5 year average was MORE at 11498. So LESS people died! of course that may change this next few weeks but still it suggests unless an extra 617 die this week it may still be less than average. Statistics can be used to prove anything but maybe there is more hope than the news media suggest......

I was in Wairose this morning by 9 am.

Car park fairly full and a lot of stuff missing. No Paracetamol, Bacon very low, no pasta, Not sure about the toilet roll rack but the kitchen towel shelves where empty. PLenty of meat so I stocked up on a couple of extra steaks and lamb burgers. Added a couple of tins.

Due to the civilised aisle width it did not feel crowded.

Low on Whisky (No litres) but Roys is just across the road. (No, I wasn't going to sample Japanese whisky at that price or any other)

I agree with you there Peter. I've tried a couple of the mid range Japanese whiskeys, and my tastebuds are not impressed for the money. My local supermarket sells a French malt, Scrumhalf or something. I will wait until I meet someone who has a bottle.

Posted by Don Fry on 18/03/2020 12:39:29:

I agree with you there Peter. I've tried a couple of the mid range Japanese whiskeys, and my tastebuds are not impressed for the money. My local supermarket sells a French malt, Scrumhalf or something. I will wait until I meet someone who has a bottle.

I like Teachers and Roys had litres for £20. I like some of the Kentucky bourbons too.

MInd you, with my failing taste buds it doens't make a huge difference and whisky usually tastes much the same

Posted by Robin Colbourne on 18/03/2020 12:58:09:
Posted by SR 71 on 18/03/2020 12:07:36:

They'll be making them with bomb doors soon! :-D

During the siege of Malta in 1942 that is just what was done. No wood to spare for coffins all being used for cooking fuel.

Not 'xactly on topic, but suddenly in dire need of displacement activity yesterday I found myself 'doing the garage'. 6 hours later I find I have acquired an unexpected heap of brownie points - and a lot more room in the garage - but due to current restrictions I'm not sure how I can spend 'em. ( WSW moderate breeze at Pole Cott' on Long Mynd might be tempting though. 🤔 )

Posted by john stones 1 on 18/03/2020 17:44:51:

Glad to hear you're all well.

Dropped a clanger the other day, looking for a shop entrance and missed it, ended up driving in a bus lane.

Today I get a fixed penalty fine. Cheers my dear, hope they run outa loo roll. blush

Glad you're doing your bit to assuage the forthcoming National Debt rise, John!wink 2

Pete