Advert

Am I the exception, with respect to Hermes, as they are perhaps the best, other than perhaps Amazon?

Things always arrive in the time frame that the retailer indicates (when this facility is available).

If perchance we are not in, generally they retry later, or left with a neighbour.

This contrast with post office deliveries. I do not want to get into specific issues, other than say the general mind set is very much that of a monopoly or government doing you a favour attitude.

I guess in all cases it is about both individuals and company ethos.

I think it depends on your local employees. My experience with Royal Mail is very positive but that may be because our postman is so helpful. Not had any bad experiences with other carriers and we often take in packages for our neighbours when asked.

I avoid buying through Amazon wherever possible but that's for other reasons than delivery. It could be argued that Amazon is a much bigger monopoly the Royal Mail.

Geoff

Never had a problem with Hermes . Recently had a signed for parcel sent to me go missing with Royal Mail though; and replacement sent almost immediately took nearly a fortnight to arrive from 12 miles away . Royal Mail have generally been good. All delivery services can have problems as it only takes one disgruntled employee.

I have have had a few problems with Hermes (or Herpes as I call them because you never know when they will turn up or if they will come back).

A couple of items left by the green wheelie bin at the front of the house, despite the porch door being left open, "you were not in" cards left when I was sitting 25 feet away from the doorbell all morning.

The worst example was a torque wrench I ordered from Amazon for 24 hour delivery, next day, no delivery, tracked the package and it was showing as delivered. Contacted Amazon and they were great, sent me a replacement and refunded the delivery charges. About five days later a neighbour who lives across the road and two doors down came over with a very wet package asking "is this yours?" Yes it was the torque wrench, it had been thrown over the garden gate about 20 feet into a hedge where it sat through several days of heavy rain, it was only found because my neighbour took advantage of a break in the weather to trim the hedge.

I told Amazon what had happened and they paid for it to be sent back, not sure what use a wet torque wrench is though.

Hermes are total rubbish here in west Wales and their tracking is nothing but a pack of porky pies, angrywith lines like " delivery attempted on "date" at "time " Yea right, We ordered a soft toy for our 1 year old grand daughter and were told it was damaged in transit.disgust No replacement was available. Several other instances. We no longer order anything where Hermes is the courier.

Post office have been good and so have DPD.

I don't think it's anything to do with the company, it's all down to the deliverer. I've had good and bad experiences from virtually every commonly used carrier.

That said, it's a thankless job and some companies make it very difficult for their employees to make a living, so I do try to sympathise as much as possible.

One of the saddest sights I ever sawsad [ when it comes to non living things ] was on a lovely sunny clear day in 1979 . It was the Ark Royal R09 [ the big one ] being towed up St Georges channel on her way to the scrapper

It took all day to go by and as the evening light faded you could no longer see the towing tugs over the curve of the earth but the great Flattop cold be seen standing proud.in the late sunlight.

Who built the Ark ? It wasn't bloomin Noah.

Aha !

Another whinge thread. I haven't seen one for at least a couple of hours.

People. Parcels have been lost and damaged ever since they invented delivery services. There is no such thing as "perfect". Why do you think insurance companies offer their services ?

Interesting fact of life. Those who shout the loudest, usually have least reason to shout.

I myself have had problems (quite a few) with parcel deliveries, but stuff happens and there are currently bigger things in life to worry about other than parts for toys (or in my case magazines) that go missing.

My advice is, if it is valuable insure it. If it isn't then accept at least part of the risk.

Life is too short !

smiley

Edited By john stones 1 Moderator on 16/01/2021 15:37:01

Wasn't the Ark Royal built at Cammell Lairds on the Wirral?

If so, many years ago I used to visit an engineering company that pictures of the ship, under construction towering over the nearby housing.

I may have been on the Ark Royal, I assume on Navy Day, where many of the then Fleet open to the public. If it was the Arc Royal or the Eagle or not, they certainly were incredible impressive. It would not surprise me if the current carriers are not much bigger, say 10?

Yes, built at Cammell Lairds, Queen Elisabeth 1 and Prince of Wales are about 100 foot longer. than the Ark's 804 feet.

THE USS Gerald R Ford is presently the largest carrier in service at 1,092 feet.

I once saw the JOHN F KENNEDY the last US carrier to have a conventional  power system , at 1,050 it to was a monster.

Edited By J D 8 on 16/01/2021 16:32:11

The lad has the tracking number and checked, not even been picked up according to his phone, explain that one. Had problems with Hermes before, wonder if it's the same driver...paid RM nearly £6 for a signed for delivery to South Wales from north wales which simply "disappeared"....read the name, I wiki'd that...

Was thinking of ordering some other stuff from an electric fly site but that will come via Hermes, having a real rethink now...

Edited By Rich Griff on 16/01/2021 18:10:09

Edited By Rich Griff on 16/01/2021 18:17:42