Energy Saving Idea

In these times of energy price increases and shortages, I wonder if there would be any value in cancelling the ending of British Summer Time at the end of next month?

Its not an idea that I’ve noticed being reported on any media but it was certainly used to save energy during WW2 with “double summer time” in the warmer months.  I seem to recall that several safety organisations have also expressed the opinion that such a measure may reduce road casualties as well. 

Maybe we should lobby our MPs - the fact that it would benefit model flying in the afternoons over the winter months is entirely coincidental!

Remember that this is not the place to discuss individual party policies - just the idea in principle. 

• Like 1

I agree, it makes a lot of sense. I think I did hear a story saying they were looking at it again, but I can't find that anywhere. Certainly some orgs are taking it into their own hands - there are football clubs for instance that are trialling Sat kick-offs at 2pm to reduce floodlight and heating usage.

This crops up every year about this time and it'll never happen, unfortunately.   I must admit, when I was cycling 13 miles each way to work and on the road every morning at 0630 I liked the idea that there was an hour's extra daylight in the morning to melt any ice (although I rode my 1956 Higgins TWD trike if it was slippery)  but I would now prefer more light in the evening.  What's really needed is for the whole of the UK to be towed a few miles south so we get a better balance of daylight  - we waste a lot in the summer after all :).

As Geoff S says, this comes up on a regular basis.

There was  an experiment from 1968 to 1971.

ROSPA claim that there was fewer accidents but from my recollection it was thoroughly miserable.

The idea of extra daylight in the evening didn't hold up because it got dark by 17.00 and people were leaving work then so it was still dark by the time they got home so no light to be of any use.

In the morning it didn't get light until 9am, and even 10am on really murky days, so lots of workers who needed daylight couldn't get started 'til late.

School children were walking to school in the dark.

If they did try it again I'd be happy to put my week's pocket money (50p so long as I do the washing up)on it only lasting 1 year.

You could always follow your own daylight saving time by adjusting your own timetable -many people work from home now,  shops are open for longer now, so change your mealtimes, record your TV, etc.      Unless of course you are forced by your employer ( or family! ) to work fixed hours.   Then of course you could always lobby your employer to change.......

14 minutes ago, kc said:

Jon,- great idea!   We could reintroduce Workhouses for the poor with treadmills to generate electricity........

Better energy saving idea is to ban car parks at gyms and so people walk there instead!

errrr

scan-11-foot-pole1-e1425501056675.jpg

Its tempting, but i need to save money for a lathe. 

• Like 1

I have just had another idea -why not install a treadmill with an alternator at our flying sites and charge a small fee for the keep fit public to charge our Lipos while we fly!   Cut out the middleman Eon etc.

Back to the original subject - surely an extra hour daylight in the evening means more flying time!  Who could be against that?

As said above, any extra hour in the evening is not much use as it is still not light long enough to do anything after work/study. With 'normal time' in winter early risers can get something energetic in before work for most of the winter. (Yes I used to be young and fit, and in the south)

You get some beautiful mornings as well as the dank ones.

11 hours ago, MattyB said:

I agree, it makes a lot of sense. I think I did hear a story saying they were looking at it again, but I can't find that anywhere. Certainly some orgs are taking it into their own hands - there are football clubs for instance that are trialling Sat kick-offs at 2pm to reduce floodlight and heating usage.

The 3pm kick offs are a hangover from the 5 1/2 day working week. Most men worked until 12 on a Saturday, the 3pm kick off gave them time to catch a bus to a pub near the ground & have pint or two before the match 'cause there was no alcohol for sale within the stadiums.  

5 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

Considering the never ending hot air spouted by politicians, do gooders, protesters etc above the equator should be roasting hot all the time

Arrr, is that the reason why I have been melting in Western France this summer. Every day a school day.