Couriers....!!

Robert Cracknell

Who can you complain to about Evri?

They have lost 2 parcels in as many weeks and letters to their registered address just get ignored. I don't use them but have no power to influence my suppliers about using them.

With the plethora of courier services operating out there isn't it time for an ombudsman type setup that would give us poor mugs on the receiving end some sort of voice?

Edited by Martin Harris - Moderator
Removed disguised language and possibly libellous comments
  • Like 1

Like others our local Evri driver is excellent, text, time slot and everything has been delivered all be it not quickest service but all arrived safely and in good condition. I see they came bottom of a courier satisfaction survey for the 2nd yr running. Good luck complaining as a lot of major companies customer services have deteriorated so badly they are actively hiding behind a  myriad of FaQ and auto bots to avoid any actual contact in the hope you get fed up.   

Things seem to have improved since Evri bought out Hermes for me.  My delivery driver, a great lad, said that things were much better under the Evri team.  I suspect, as in all things, the local teams and how committed they are, determines how you see your courier company.  I used to place DPD well above all others but now even the PO, when their workers are not on strike that is, send you details of when your parcel will be delivered if it's tracked.  I've also found that the PO will pick up parcels for free, if you buy the postage on line. when the normal postman delivers your mail which is a great service.

I’ve been using the PO ‘Click and Drop’ service ever since it came out, the convenience of postie collecting my parcels is great. Unfortunately this week has seen me give them a black mark, I sent my Laser 200 in-line back to Jon (it’s very poorly) by 24 tracked and it was collected on Monday for a Tuesday delivery (before the strike). On Tuesday it had got as far as Norwich (20 miles) then Tuesday night to the destination’s distribution centre which is where it still is. Maybe Jon will get it tomorrow? Funny old 24 delivery service.

I'm still a fan of the PO when they're working, and pick them whenever the vendor gives an option, for I always know roughly when the postie is going to arrive.  Even the couriers that give text messages often come at what I deem to be antisocial hours -- i.e. before I get up or after dark.

It's a pity we're driven to this though, rather than being able to pop down to the local shop (model or whatever) whenever we need something.

2 minutes ago, Allan Bennett said:

It's a pity we're driven to this though, rather than being able to pop down to the local shop (model or whatever) whenever we need something.

Been done to death numerous times. Mail order is simply much more convenient - for those of us in full time employment.

The trouble with the these smaller courier businesses that I imagine are run on the tightest of margins is that the service varies a lot depending on the area, depots and staff.

I hear plenty of horror stories about Hermes, Yodel and DPD (BTW never come across Evri before, first I’ve heard that name) and yet I have never had a single problem with any of them.  So I guess that it comes down to where you live and the attitude of the courier employees in that area.

One way you could express a voice is to refuse to buy from businesses that use Evri.

Edited by Nigel Heather

Nigel

DPD is a German multinational company - stands for Digital Parcel Delivery.

Yodel is owned by billionaire Frederick Barclay and he bought up the B2B and B2C business of DHL(UK) in 2010.

Evri is a US $1.5 billion company that bought Hermes last year and rebranded Hermes to Evri as the Hermes brand was tarnished.

They can hardly be described as smaller courier companies unless you want to compare them with DHL, UPS and FedEx.

Had a few recent issues with Couriers....

DPD messaged me to say my parcel couldn't be delivered because I was out and there was no 'safe place' to leave it...... transpired they tried the wrong house which didn't have a porch (my 'safe place'). Very helpful call centre immediately redirected the courier, and said that I could upload a picture of my house, so future couriers can visually check they have the right house. 

Evri tried a similar thing but the only way to contact them seems to be to comment on their facebook page - useless. 

Evri tried another parcel and left a card to say they'd tried to deliver but I was out, so they left my parcel in the bin (NOT my 'safe place'). I went outside to collect it and the courier was just getting into his van.  I got there so quickly because 2 labradors tend to make a noise when something pops through the letterbox..... even more so when someone knocks on the door! 

The supplier will only react and change thier chosen  couriers if they are hit in the pocket. While I sympathise with any supplier who loses out on a deal its up to them to take it up with their chosen couriers for compensation. Use Pay Pal and claim back if no deliveries arrive . If couriers take a photo as proof of delivery there should be no problems re who's to blame for losses.

As for safe places  !  We had a message that a parcel had been delivered and as we we not home it had been left  in " our safe place" . We had never set up a safe place so we're amazed to find it had been left in a puddle behind our back door! Totally ruined and supplier replaced   it . That was via Evri. 

Edited by Engine Doctor

I send by Hermes/Evri, I only ever choose signed for and have only had one lose, the company found the courier and the recipient were "related" and I received a full refund. They did wriggle a little but a bit of foot stamping and they coughed up. Courier was sacked. Our courier is spot on.

Or I do prepaid at the Post Office but again always Tracked and signed for.  If you are expecting a parcel then thats down to the sender.

The parcel Re- delivery fee scam is widespread.

Edited by Frank Day
spelling error

Our Evri delivery driver dropped us a parcel off this evening - and a Doggy Selection Box (pressie from him)  for Maddie (our Labradoodle) 🐶🎁😀.

Never had any problem with Evri (Hermes), whether it be for sending or receiving parcels (and we've done loads of both).

Edited by Gary Manuel
  • Thanks 1

On 02/12/2022 at 09:37, Peter Jenkins said:

Nigel

DPD is a German multinational company - stands for Digital Parcel Delivery.

Yodel is owned by billionaire Frederick Barclay and he bought up the B2B and B2C business of DHL(UK) in 2010.

Evri is a US $1.5 billion company that bought Hermes last year and rebranded Hermes to Evri as the Hermes brand was tarnished.

They can hardly be described as smaller courier companies unless you want to compare them with DHL, UPS and FedEx.

Thanks for the condescending response.

What I said is that you hear horror stories about Hermes, Yodel, Hermes (especially Yodel) but suggesting that this could be down to local depot/staff because I’ve never experienced issues with any of them.  And that includes Hermes and all the others that just turn up in a clapped out Ford Fiesta.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Heather

Personally I try to remember when getting frustrated about courier deliveries that the folks concerned often have a horrible job to do, the tracking services are very variable in accuracy and the delivery windows seem to be getting longer and longer - some deliveries are coming up to 9pm now. Our postie is excellent, always has been, you can set your watch by him and he's a cheerful chap. The regular DPD and Amazon drivers are fine and efficient - they deliver a colossal number of parcels in a long day. The only real issues that we've had were with a previous Hermes driver who was a bit of a moaner, but haven't seen him for a while. Have only had one experience with EVRI and that was fine. 

It can be annoying if a promised delivery doesn't turn up in a slot, especially if you have made or changed arrangements to be in to take delivery. The couriers do seem to be extending their delivery times, so you do get less of those messages that they have timed out and today's parcel will now be delivered tomorrow.

What we do get is random couriers trying to deliver parcels here, which are not for us - the result of several properties sharing the same postcode. In those cases its usually not a regular driver and they can get a bit cross when they are at the wrong place - that's their problem though.

On 01/12/2022 at 14:05, Allan Bennett said:

I'm still a fan of the PO when they're working, and pick them whenever the vendor gives an option, for I always know roughly when the postie is going to arrive.  Even the couriers that give text messages often come at what I deem to be antisocial hours -- i.e. before I get up or after dark.

Today, my daughter wanted to buy some decent walking boots and a good quality coat as she often works outside. She visited the large bricks and mortar shop of the  well known retailer who said both items were out of stock and advised her to order the items on-line for next day delivery! A waste of time and fuel. Exactly why I avoid most  'proper' shops these days.