Toasted!

i12fly

Can anybody advise on a decent make and model of a toaster that will actually:

1.  Toast a full size slice of bread e.g.Warbarton's Toastie loaf

2.  Not leave a band of untoasted bread at the top of the slice

3.  Fairly evenly toasted both sides

4.  Doesn't cost the earth

We bought a long slot width toaster through Amazon last October thinking that sideways on it would toast a full slice -big mistake, the top quarter does not toast, even mildly. Anyway this morning it started tripping the RCD/RCCB. Tried sending it back only to find that the manufacturer has gone out of business (Grrrr... 🙄 )

Items 1 & 2 are the priority, we've got 2 other toasters that fail on both....

Another cautious recommendation for Breville.  Our VTT233 appears to have survived long enough to not be in production now but it toasts Iceland Tiger Bloomer slices fully.

My gripes with toasters are, as with the OP, the difficulty of finding one to cover a large slice format and secondly, the total lack of spare part availability.  In years gone by it was possible to buy replacement elements but when one fails now, the whole toaster is scrap.

The exception is Dualit but they are orders of magnitude more expensive to buy - although their replacement elements are actually quite reasonably priced.

The RCD trip will almost certainly be debris in the bottom of the toaster, a piece of carbonised crust or something between the element and the case. After a gentle clean-out it should be fine 😉   This isnt at all unusual, toasters are very prone as bread is damp and bendy and burnt toast conducts too!  😄

Edited by Phil Green
  • Like 1

Thank you all for the advice.

In the end I've gone for the Breville VTT981 deep chassis model (thank you Dave O.). It takes a full slice of Warburton's toastie loaf and toasts each face evenly. One side is slightly browner than the other but fully acceptable. Browning adjustment dial is good and easy to read, the lift and look is always a good feature and the lift is high so that if you do say one and a half crumpets in each side (I like to eat 3  -not started the diet yet) you can easily remove the 'half' without difficulty. I've just had the best slice of toast since last October when the previous model died.

• Like 2

... of course, we Belgians don't have that historical knowledge about toasts when compared to UK citizens.

But this is what I discovered :

A slice of warm toast bread covered with 'Sirop de Liège' (a Belgian syrup made of pears, apples & dates) followed by a layer of French Camembert on top.

In the microwave for +/- 30 sec at 600W.

Gorgious, but might be declared 'illegal' in some places...

Bon appétit

Chris

• Like 1

Which? magazine have the following Best Buys (listed in test score order):

Dualit Lite 2 Slot 26205 DLT2Pa £68.90 - 83%

Next 4 Slice Toaster 438-634 £48 - 80%

KitchenAid Design Collection 5KMT3115BER £109 - 78%

Dualit Domus DLT44 £121 - 78%

Morphy Richards Dune 220028 £28.32 - 78%

Linsar KY865RED £27.99 - 78%

Russell Hobbs Inspire 24370 £34.99 - 77%

Russell Hobbs Inspire 24371 £35.99 - 77%

We bought a Dualit toaster years ago. It cost an arm and a leg but having struggled to repair cheaper ones by fitting a new element I wanted one with a spares service and was designed to be repaired.  It's simplicity itself with just a timer function but no pop-up feature.  It's British made and so far has worked faultlessly. 

• Like 1