The Big Question ?

RICHARD WILLS

11 minutes ago, martin collins 1 said:

Not everyone wants a Mossie Eric, it will probably go that way though to get the numbers.

That's what I mean Martin. When I want something now I make it with foamboard and depron,  not a  lot of expense if it fails . I did a 6ft Mosquito that flys well but don't use it much as it takes two batteries so only half the flights. 

For the vast majority of my electric flying I have recharged entirely at the flying field, but since I've moved house, with more than three hour round trip to my old club field I've gone on to charging at home. For the larger models I naturally have a smaller number of batteries, so will have to look at taking my leisure batteries to the field for top-ups on site, rather than just have a couple of flights with each model.

• Like 1

I had your Whirlwind in mind when I posted my 'formula', Eric! 🙂

I don't see why using two batteries is viewed as 'expensive' though.  The 2200 3S I referenced is pretty ubiquitous.  I've had dozens, about 10 of which are still perfectly usable.  On short-nosed subjects they are ideal for getting (working) weight up front!

Edited by Mike T
add

5 hours ago, Mike T said:

I had your Whirlwind in mind when I posted my 'formula', Eric! 🙂

I don't see why using two batteries is viewed as 'expensive' though.  The 2200 3S I referenced is pretty ubiquitous.  I've had dozens, about 10 of which are still perfectly usable.  On short-nosed subjects they are ideal for getting (working) weight up front!

It's not the expense Mike the aeroplanes fly In a similar way so getting two flights instead of one is more air time. The Whirlwind and the 110 go in the car in one piece so a Mosquito of a similar format would be a  better option. I have an Aerotech Mosquito kit which I plan to fit up with retracts as my foamboard and depron one has to be launched by a helper. I am looking at the possibility of a dolly for take offs 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Graham Bowers said:

I work on the assumption that there's a threshold, beyond which further additions aren't noticed 😉

Lets call it "The Plimsole line saturation point " or the more comfortable term , "State of Overwhelm " .

I think women have similar examples with shoes , make up , hand bags , wardrobes , ointments, candles and .... diffusers (whatever they are , perhaps useful in a pub brawl?) .

Luckily, as men , we don't suffer from a lack of sense of proportion. 

Clearly men have a better grip on reality and are able to focus on the really important things in life , this forum , I think , proves the point .  

Well, we only opened our pressies this morning after being so busy yesterday hosting, but Father Christmas came true with his promise with a nice big box of goodies along with an Airfix one to go with it, what a lovely chap!

Must say I am very impressed with the quality and contents of the kit. Seems to have everything needed except the glue, covering and electrics - excellent value, Thank you Richard for your hard work in putting the package together. Love the hand drawn plan as well, such a pleasure to look at. Not sure when I will start, but will get onto it soon and look forwards to it.

Hope you all had a great Christmas, cheers, Simon

• Like 7

Before I leave the musing as to what might follow the 190 /Tempest dog fight double, I feel I must ask one obvious but possibly overlooked question.

This kind of happened before when we went all round the houses and then people put their hand up for a P51 .

So here is the question . 

When I were a lad , I couldnt get enough of the Battle of Britain film , Spitfires/109s Hurries and Heinkels . Later in life I remember drooling over the OK models/pilot models  109 and Spitfire . 

Does that mean that a "Proper " 109e and Spitfire with all the whistles and bells would be a suitable consideration ? Or is that too mainstream ?

I would want them to look exactly like this 

spit mk2.jpg

109e.jpg

• Like 3

Richard, 

I’ve built and flown your 63” La-7 which is powered by a Laser, I love it.  It’s got retracts but it’s the wide stance of the wheels that’s the clincher.  I love the 109e and have built the Brian Taylor one but its narrow undercarriage means it stays safely at home and rarely flown.
But a choice between the wonderful Spit and the 109, it’s got to be the yellow nosed 109.  

IMG_3348.jpeg

IMG_2476.jpeg

• Like 4

I think to make the follow on from the "entry level " 190/Tempest , they would have to be "club size . (55-58") and powered by 4s packs which are fairly light but affordable . Using such packs does cause balance issues for the Spit but that can be overcome . The ground handling of either model will never be as good as a P51 /La7  but in my experience , better wheels and alignment do eliminate most of the problem . Paul and I have been experimenting with our own wheels with bearings and prebuilt mounting box that ensures the retracts can take more of a hit and run true.

• Like 2

Here is rather good video of a 55" FMS 109 landing and taking off . It does have a stabilizer fitted which helps , but its not necessary once you practice a bit . 

You will notice that a typical fault on the FMS 109 is that the leg become loose and start turning out . However it does demonstrate how benign the 109 is at this size and weight (5.5lb ) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVTIakjTFUQ

There's the problem right there Martin . I have no problem going "off Piste " but getting more than five people to buy a Hell Cat would be unlikely ,let alone a Zero . 

Having said that , don't ask me why my La7 ran and ran , a bit like "Cats " the musical !

For me, not to do a Spit /109 /Mossie  is very risky without the guys in general putting their hands up first . Hence all this procrastination . 

• Like 1

Richard, presume that you have a list of peoples wants. Why not have a poll and then use the top two provided that they would be practical and fit your design criteria. Maybe first decide on single/twin or a multi?

At the end of the day your the guy that makes all this work so more than happy if we go down the spitfire/109 route. 

As the argument as ebbed and flowed in no particular direction , I agree with your thinking SW . 

I will see how the Tempest pans out compared to the 190 in terms of popularity . 

Pacific theme fighters comes up a few times but there are a few issues with that . Two designs takes longer than one unless I have a head start with something I have on the blocks . Secondly , pretty much all of the Pacific stuff have round fuselages which makes "quick build " unlikely . The later addition of retracts to a wildcat , Hell cat or Corsair would cause a lot of heart ache for the end user .

Not saying I'm going mainstream but if you can make lighter versions of the competition you will eventually shove them off the table . 

But they have to look as good and go together easily . 

• Like 1