Hobbyking coming back to the UK

On 07/12/2023 at 10:44, Erfolg said:

... HMRC are not behind the door when it comes to gathering tax, however tenuous the basis (business sections in the media, often write about the issue).

On 07/12/2023 at 19:45, Erfolg said:

...If any of these businesses are not paying Vat, HMRC would be there, faster than a rat going up a drain pipe.

OK - so which is it? 🤣

As referred to above, if your invoice does not a have a UK VAT number on it, then there's no guarantee that the tax you've paid has been remitted to HMRC.  Like most I'm happy to roll the tax/duty dice on overseas purchases, but if I end up getting clobbered I sure as hell want it ending up in my own country's Exchequer!

PS - Prior to abandoning the UK when the going got tough, all my HKUK orders cam from Elmsett, Suffolk.

On 04/01/2024 at 13:19, dave parnham said:

i bit the bullet and brought a couple of 6S batteries that were half the price of everywhere id looked £105 for two 6s 5200mha 

Anyhoo they arrived DPD in two days as they said they were in stock in UK.

Interestingly the emails for tracking said your 51Cargo package is in transit.............Thats a Manchester based Warehouse.

Interesting searching on 51Cargo and Hobbyking I found this on RCG.  https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?4008905-What-happened-to-hobbyking/page7

Would be useful if they have a trade counter too.

Reluctant to spend a single penny with HK. Had shipping cost issues a while back so didnt complete  checkout. UK warehouse I suspect has very few items in  it and likely its one of those tiny industrial units receiving items straight from the airport

Couple of interest items have Zero spares available with no ETA just like before, one has no accessory items as they term it but one, from experience is an essential but they havent stocked it for years and list as an option suggesting its not really needed !!!

It is interesting that some suspect that HK pay no legally incurred tax in the UK. 

Reading in the news paper this weekend that HM Revenue and Taxes is pursuing  those who sell clothing on sites such as Minted (I believe is one site quoted) for VAT, for as little as a couple of items in a tax year. In the belief or suspicion that they are selling second hand items, on the basis this could exceed their total of £1,000 a year allowance for such  sales. I must admit i was I was unaware that there was such a limit for selling your unwanted items.

Now should we worry about modellers selling high end radios, engines or kits, that had purchased, having paid the required tax at the time. Now having to potentially paying a second amount of tax? 

I just cannot see HK not paying what is legally required.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Erfolg said:

Now should we worry about modellers selling high end radios, engines or kits, that had purchased, having paid the required tax at the time. Now having to potentially paying a second amount of tax? 

Only if you sell it for more than you paid for it i.e. made a profit, even HMRC haven't yet managed to find a way to tax a loss (yet, but no doubt are working hard on it!) 😁

• Like 1

It is a choice but only if they actually having anything worth buying/available. May be I've been luck but have always managed to buy spares for other brands.

Look at their ME163 Komet, big relaunch not a single useful spare part available. Magnetic dolly release is an essential not an option  unless flying off a bowling green, no ETA like the other parts.

6 hours ago, Philip Lewis 3 said:

Only if you sell it for more than you paid for it i.e. made a profit, even HMRC haven't yet managed to find a way to tax a loss (yet, but no doubt are working hard on it!) 😁

Also HMRC havnt yet got round business expenses. Charge me, I’m claiming for an element of office space, phones, internet, hardware purchases, car allowance…….they want those who make serious money, not pin money as part of a hobby.

There was an article about the new tax on the radio the other day..... seems that if you buy and sell stuff regularly on, for example, fleabay, you can be taxed on profits over £1000. If you just sell a few items you may have found in the attic, HMRC don't care  - they're looking for those that specifically buy and sell for profit but don't declare the income. There were loads of people phoning in that practically had a full time job doing this to 'supplement their income' but didn't ever tell HMRC

Edited by GrumpyGnome

OK it's not new...... what is new is that digital platforms now have to share some details with HMRC to help them identify individuals that are actually traders.  This came into effect 1/1/2024.

It seems obvious that if you buy and sell things specifically to make a profit, you should declare this to the taxman, but seemingly people don't.

Edited by GrumpyGnome
  • Like 1

There are definitely a number of people selling used RC items who are clearly operating as a business. We probably all know the one's who sell on a business basis but there are plenty who sell multiple identical items, sometimes  bagged and labelled, used models etc etc who have a constant presence on the platform.  It would be quite simple to route them out. However.

I fell foul of one of these who sold me a defective motor for a Eflite carbon cub, arrived whilst I was away, legal protection time elapsed.  Seller would not resolve the issue. Offering a couple of way undersized motors apparently satisfies Ebay.  My negative feedback was removed by ebay so they are unlikely to help HMRC whilst they collect their ransom for each sale and protect that income

• 1 month later...

Hobbyking sold/are selling items that only they supply, such as their models and retracts. Not really taking trade away if the trade doesn't sell it!!!

Did have trouble years ago on the first order - long story and bought loads of stuff after then,but since closing europe a few years ago, never ordered, obviously.

Still have an account, so, today as the new UK warehouse has opened again, ordered a few items:

Durafly Slopoke

3 x Turnigy TX cases in 3 colours.

a test to see if HK are ok, and paid by Paypal... I don't expect any problems, as been ok in the past.

58 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

I tried to order from the EU one, nothing that I needed there, I posted my query on RC Groups and was censured, I asked why and that was also deleted, so Hk is finished for me.

Anyone tried Temu ?.

Posts are never deleted on RCG - perhaps you are mistaken?

11 minutes ago, Andy Stephenson said:

I beg to differ, but they have been, I've seen it! This might have been under previous management but it has happened.

Nope, posts and threads are never deleted, it's been the policy since before eZone became RCGroups. In extreme cases some posts may be moved to the Bit Bucket sub-forum, which is not directly displayed, but they are never deleted. That policy has been confirmed as being continued  by the current administration.

15 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Anyone tried Temu ?.

I wouldn't if I were you, I have had a couple of orders from Temu - impulse buys really... everything turned out to be total TAT. Check out the various youtube videos on Temu.... ultrasonic cleaner, going for a song..... trouble is the 'transducer' turned out to be a tiny DC brushed motor with an off centre counterbalance weight pushed onto the motor shaft 🤣