Maiden Flights - how do you take yours?

leccyflyer

I was reviewing the status of my fleet today and noted that, despite my best efforts and my busiest year for flying, ever,  I currently have a round dozen models awaiting a maiden flight. That is they are finished, fully geared up, dialled into their respective transmitters and ready to go  but, for a variety of reasons have yet to be committed to the air. Mostly it's down to me either waiting for perfect conditions, or having an idea in my head to try a particular style of model anew before moving on to one a bit different. For example I have a few EDFs awaiting a maiden flight for a long time, but a. I haven't had much success with EDFs- with a couple of recent failure to launch incident and b. the field is just slightly too short for these larger models.

It made me think about maiden flights and different approaches to them and a recent thread here, which touched on rates of success over time, made me wonder how you all approach these. Back in the day, some fifty years ago my experience was that you were entirely on your own, I didn;t have a network of experienced modellers to help out so it was chuck it and hope, with the inevitable consequences. I'm revisiting that now and enjoying it immensely. When I came back into the hobby thirty years ago, I was able to join a club and get some assistance, but the maiden flight of my lovingly crafted trainer turned out much the same, with the instructor straining it through a tree and requiring a return to the building board for repairs. I think after a further maiden flight of a couple of follow up models mostly went okay, with a different instructor,  at some point I decided that I was always going to do my maiden flights myself. If I built it, I was going to be the one responsible and if it was a model that I thought was too quick, or too tricky, then I was happy to wait until I was ready.

With that said, I know other modellers though who will almost always entrust the maiden flights of their models to someone who they consider to be a better, more experienced flyer, or a safer pair of hands. I can see their point, to a certain extent, but is robbing oneself of the satisfaction of making that first flight missing out too much and at what point does the risk of disaster with an untried airframe outweight the desire to achieve the first flight yourself.

I'd be interested to hear other opinions and particularly an estimate of the sort of success ratios that you've experienced - has anyone else taken the decision to make the maiden themselves and it has ended in disaster?  Personally I've destroyed a couple of models in unsuccessful maidens in the last ten years and had a few that haven't been able to get into the air (those EDFs again). I don't know that having a better pilot would have made a big difference there, but am open to other opinions.

I always maiden my own models, with just my trusty sidekick in attendance.

We go to the patch when I know nobody else will be about.

When a new model turns up at the field, it is only natural for everybody to gather round to have a look. I used to find the barrage of questions etc. off putting, and it would be very easy to forget something during the pre flight and to be pressurised into getting the model in the air before everything is 100%.

Not good.

• Like 4

Once past the learning stage I've always maidened my own models, may sound daft, but to me the maiden is done in the workshop, do it right there and first flights usually a non event.

One crashed model years ago on a maiden, ailerons wrong way, since that day, I always give my tx to someone to see if I've done owt dumb.

• Like 4

There are some aspects to consider. 

Are you experienced with the given model type or is it new to you? If its a new type, your first warbird for example, perhaps offer the maiden flight to someone else who operates the same type of model. most importantly, you should have seen fly their own examples and return them to earth in one piece. If you arent comfortable giving your pride and joy to someone else for any reason, do not feel pressured into doing so. 

How do you perform under pressure? Some people get really nervous under pressure and even if they are well versed in the model type they are flying they can cause themselves an issue due to nerves. This again might be a case where its worth getting a trusted party to get the thing up, trimmed, and down the first time. 

Beyond that im with Peter for the most part. Is the c/g right, rates, engine (if ic) tested and nicely set up etc. If all of those things are about right you arent likely to have too many issues. 

One thing i do on a maiden is consider eventualities even more than normal. if i have X problem before Y point on takeoff what do i do? when should i abort takeoff if its all going wrong? If i get in the air and the engine quits where can i go, what is the area ahead like for belly landing (if a warbird belly landing is better than gear down on rough terrain), do i want a helper nearby to beep trims for me if i do not want to let go of the sticks, have i requested the air to myself for the maiden so there are no other distractions? These sorts of things should be considered. 

Beyond that a maiden flight is 5 minutes long. Get up using about 70% throttle and fly dead straight for at least 5 seconds. Turn into and fly a circuit at reasonable height and throttle back, get trimmed and do a few laps, stall test in landing configuration and adjust ele/flap mix (i maiden mostly warbirds these days), 5 minute timer up, land. No fancy stuff, just up, trim, down. This approach should guarantee enough fuel/amps should something happen and require a go around. I recently test flew a Spitfire for a club mate and due to an undetected switch combination giving more than 3 times normal elevator deflection with flap down it took me 4 attempts to get down. If i was right up to the wire on fuel, this would have been really uncomfortable. As it was with fuel in hand, i felt no time pressure and was able to just work on the control problem i was having. Once down, remove the wing, check fuel use, loose things etc. 

The basic point is, as the others have said, is to do most of the work before you takeoff. Get the model right, test the systems, and get your brain ahead of the game so you are prepared for, and even expect certain things to go wrong. That way they are far less likely to catch you out. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, SIMON CRAGG said:

When a new model turns up at the field, it is only natural for everybody to gather round to have a look. I used to find the barrage of questions etc. off putting, and it would be very easy to forget something during the pre flight and to be pressurised into getting the model in the air before everything is 100%.

Really good point. Loosing your flow during pre flight can be a real nightmare. Simple cure, tell everyone to go away. Be nice about it, but simply asking for some space to do your checks is not an unreasonable request in the same way that its totally reasonable to ask for the sky to yourself. 

• Like 2

Being a self taught flyer [ many moons ago] have always done my own maiden's.  It can be a new model or a fix up of a type I have not flown before.

Today with the passing of a couple of good club test pilots I find I am now asked to do maiden and trim checks on other member's model's. The fact that I fly a wide spread of model types is a help I recon.

So far ok, only one splat when engine quit just as it cleared boundary. I do the usual checks as mentioned above and give an engine a good 30 seconds flat out on the ground and then do as Jon say's and use 80%ish power for take off.[plenty for most models except EDF]

Nearly got caught out by a Cub this year [ Its only a Cub] Twist in wing caused by incorrectly made strut had me flying with sticks hard left, helper put in all available trim and I was able to put it down in one piece. Replacement strut and next time it was " just a Cub"

Lesson, check everything. Agree with sky to oneself and one helper.

Edited by J D 8
correction
  • Like 1

I like to maiden all my own models, and practise is very similar to Jons. But have some club members who prefer to have somebody else test and trim out their models, even then I've flown something got it flying nicely and on the owners first flight they's either hauled it off the ground too soon or stalled it from 6ft on landing because the model flies different to what they normally fly, so I often do a few take offs and landings for them and let them have the Tx to get the feel for the model.

I've got an EDF been waiting for a maiden flight for a couple of months but the weather has stopped me from getting our strip EDF ready.

• Like 1

Some great points there- thanks chaps. Agree 100% on the need for getting things well sorted on the bench and a thorough pre-flight. I've checked my logs and out of 90 maiden flights in the last 10 years I did have one maiden which failed at the pre-flight stage. The elevator was working fine on the bench, but at the field, on the high rates that it needed for the ROG the nylon snake wasn't rigid enough to give the full deflection. I wasn't happy with the elevator throw and abandoned the attempt before trying - replaced the nylon snake with a cable in the workshop and had a successful maiden next time out. If in doubt, there's always another day.

Also agree with the desirability of having the air to yourself for a maiden flight. It used to be understood basic etiquette that if you said you were making a maiden flight, no-one else would come out to fly for the few minutes that you needed. I've noticed in recent years that I've had to ask that some people leave the air free for a pal embarking on a maiden, wheras years ago it was just understood. I do like to have a trusted helper on hand for any vital trim adjustments, without taking one's hands off the sticks.

• Like 2

I think Peter has hit the nail on the head, it is the preparation which creates a good / poor maiden.

I check my machines over more than once at home, away from the field where there will be no pressure to fly.

I am very careful to check everything slowly and thoroughly.

This means not only correct travel and direction but reliable centring of surfaces and smooth movement.

I also check all the mixes at each one of the settings and operate all surfaces to ensure no errors in programming affecting something unexpected.

Range check also done at home away from the field.

Then the machine is off to the field.

I am now in the position that I am being asked to maiden other peoples planes.

This means that I have to go through the above process at the field.

I have now got to the stage where if there is something I don't like in the set up, I don't fly it but I say why to the owner.

Favourite example being a coupled rudder to the ailerons - I want everything separate for a maiden so I can work out what is going wrong or needs adjustment.

• Like 2

I do all of my maiden flights myself. 

I also get asked to do maiden flights for other people. 

With my own models, there is no nervousness.  I am always eager to get them airborne, but I can be cautious with the weather conditions, and will wait until the wind is not greater than 12 mph. 

Then, after the usual radio checks, etc, it is simply a case of fuel up, start up, and get it lined up.

During the takeoff run, you can usually tell how a model will behave before it leaves the ground. 

Easy peasy.

When doing the maiden flights for other people, I am more thorough with checking the details of build quality and the radio installation, etc. . It never ceases to amaze me how many faults I find. 

Only when they are deemed airworthy are they committed to the sky. 

All good fun. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Brian Cooper said:

I do all of my maiden flights myself. 

I also get asked to do maiden flights for other people. 

With my own models, there is no nervousness.  I am always eager to get them airborne, but I can be cautious with the weather conditions, and will wait until the wind is not greater than 12 mph. 

Then, after the usual radio checks, etc, it is simply a case of fuel up, start up, and get it lined up.

During the takeoff run, you can usually tell how a model will behave before it leaves the ground. 

Easy peasy.

When doing the maiden flights for other people, I am more thorough with checking the details of build quality and the radio installation, etc. . It never ceases to amaze me how many faults I find. 

Only when they are deemed airworthy are they committed to the sky. 

All good fun. 

Pretty much the same for me. Maidens and Mr hand launcher too.

• Like 1

I agree with all this but one last thing before committing someone else's model to the air for a maiden flight: remind them of the contract: You'll do your absolute best to bring it back down in one piece but no comeback if it all goes wrong!

Trevor

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Trevor said:

I agree with all this but one last thing before committing someone else's model to the air for a maiden flight: remind them of the contract: You'll do your absolute best to bring it back down in one piece but no comeback if it all goes wrong!

Trevor

Most of the better pilots at Ashbourne fly Mode1 so, as a Mode 2 flyer, I have to test fly my own models.  Anything really tricky I have delegated to Ian Redshaw when he's available on the understanding that if there is a problem he'll have a far better chance than I of saving the model.  The only thing I can do better than Ian is crash 🙂

I do, however, spend quite a lot of time checking a model before even thinking about flying it and have a checklist beforehand - sometimes on paper but often in my head.

• Like 4

I'm a self taught fixed wing and heli flyer and have always performed my own first test flights in fifty years of flying since a teenager.

The only exception has been just recently when I decided to have a go at autogyros.....deceptively simple beasts on the face of it but having watched otherwise highly experienced club flyers come to grief either at take off, too slow and left flick into the deck, or too far away with  loss of orientation and again into the deck another approach was needed.

It struck me that even with considerable club level experience of sport flying fixed wing and helis for many years, I had nothing to bring to autogyros with their, shall we say, unique flying attributes. I might get away with a maiden but what's the point of loading the dice so much in failure's favour?

I had one of our club's very expert autogyro flyers maiden my Revolver and with only needing a ounce or so of extra lead in the nose, the model flew without incident. Great!

A testament to Richard Harris the designer and to my tame test pilot.......I guess my ability to build to plan and follow setting up  instructions is in there somewhere too.

The Revolver is such a nice model, I decided to park it for a while and build a simpler and  easier to fly, more repairable tractor type to make my own first flights on after its been proved as a flyer by my expert.

Regarding mode 1 and mode 2  above.......my test pilot seamlessly switches between modes when teaching and test flying depending on what turns up. I doubt if there are many flyers that are genuinely equally good and safe on either mode.....quite unusual I suspect.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PeterF said:

I always do my own maidens, I find it the best cardio exercise going.😁

When I maidened my DB Gipsy Moth a clubmate commented that it looked slightly unstable - the model was fine; it was merely responding to my shaky fingers 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Usually maiden my models when i know i will be at the field by myself, i don`t like the eyes burning into the back of your head when they all know it is the maiden flight. Model is set up and triple checked at home and gets another once over when assembled at the field. Range check and put the model on the strip, final check of control directions and all rates set on the recommended which is i set on the centre setting so i can go more or less if it needs it in the air. Point the model directly into wind and throttle up when ready.

• Like 2