Is there a difference between an aeromodeller and a model flyer and does it matter anyway?

6 minutes ago, Martin Dilly 1 said:

That pretty much says it. Having been involved for around 20 years in the negotiations that finally got model flying recognised in the early 1990s as a sport by the Sports Council (now Sport England) and the Central Council for Physical Recreation (now the Sport and Recreation Alliance) I can assure you that the semantics are actually important.

When we took the first steps towards recognition of model flying as a sport we soon found that two major hold-backs were the title – Society of Model Aeronautical Engineers – and the words ‘hobby’ and ‘aeromodelling’. There’s nothing wrong with hobbies; stamp collecting, model railways or making a model of the Houses of Parliament out of a thousand matchsticks are pastimes that give people a lot of harmless enjoyment. Making model aircraft, whether Airfix plastics or ones that fly, can be a hobby too. But, as Fly Boy says, what we  all enjoy is model flying and that is without a shadow of a doubt a sport; it’s a man-and-machine as well as a man-versus-the-elements one, whether we fly recreationally or competitively.

Every time we fly a model, whether we’ve spent many hours building it or many pounds buying it, we’re enjoying a sport. It’s not a dirty word. It doesn’t imply cut-throat pot-hunting competition or trying to fly better than somebody else. If there is any competition then it’s you trying to make this flight just a bit better than your previous one.

Why does this matter? Most UK Councils have a Sports and Recreation Committee which can provide funding and facilities for local sports clubs, including model flying clubs, and permission to use sites. So please, please, please can we stop referring to 'the hobby' and give model flying the respect it deserves as a SPORT.

More labels... If you want to call it a sport fine to secure funding etc, fine,  go ahead. I will continue to unapologetically call what I do a hobby, because that is what my activity is to me

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 6

Aeromodeller  or Model Flier?????...... Let me Think......... Ahh Got It....

I'm neither... Im just a guy that enjoys doing something I'm actually good at with great friends & good company where we all go to the flying field when we can so we can all throw our models up & hang on to our transmitters with dear life praying like heck that they come back down in once piece so we cam take them home, give them the full works to polish them up ready for the next time we can do it all over again usually the following week... But if I really had to choose between Aeromodeller  or Model Flier.... I wud have to say I'm An Rc Pilot through & through

• Like 1

Do the last few posts infer that model flying is a sport and aeromodelling is a hobby?

I would suggest that almost all of us are model flyers and many of us are aeromodellers.  We have had several enthusiastic members over the years with little or no interest/aptitude for piloting their models but who have contributed greatly to the atmosphere of the club. 

Personally, I would welcome both the sporting enthusiast and hobbyist at my club. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, David Davis said:

Those as well, A Norton Dominator in my case.

Oh, we could have fun with this......I always tease my friends who have taken to reliving their youth by buying Lambrettas and Vespas by asking them when are they going to try some real motorcycling?

Aeromodelling?

According to the Collins Dictionary..........

noun
the making and flying of model planes
adjective
relating to the making and flying of model planes

I suppose the key thing is the making of a model rather than just the flying part. When I build an Airfix kit aeroplane I'm not aeromodelling , but when I do a bit on one of my R/C models I am aeromodelling because the aim is to get the project to fly...........or should I become an aeromodeller only when I'm actually flying it?
What defines making? Design and construction? construction only? High level or low level construction i.e ARTF or scratch building from raw materials?
This really does need to be investigated by the BMFA and discussed at length at both regional and national level and a fully endorsed definition of aeromodelling agreed upon. Only joking.....I think....

According to The Oxford Dictionary the word "aeromodeller" does not have a description.

Looking back through the history of model making it would appear that the word has been "lifted" from the model making magazine bearing that name dedicated to those making and building model aircraft. In much the same way that Rappers get their name from the type of music they produce (if you call it music !).

"Aeromodeller" is now a generic term referencing all those who partake in the producing and / or usage of flying models, whether they have wings or don't.

Whether you like it, or not.

☺️

At the end of the day they are all "toys" So do you play at toy building, or toy flying ?

I do both (and boats).

I suppose it depends if you are a serious obsessionist, or just enjoy playing with toys.

I know which I am.    🤣

Edited by kevin b

My recently delivered FMS Fox (2.3m) foamy just requires the Rx to be plugged in and programmed before I can fly it, so that will make me a ‘model flyer’. The Chilly Breeze I am currently building from last months RCM&E free plan however, makes me an ‘aeromodeller’ perhaps?

You are right; as long as we enjoy the activity, what does it matter what we choose to call it?

I have been playing with model aeroplanes for about 65 years and one thing which became apparent from the earliest of days was the belligerent attitude - and some have been quite vocal about it - which proclaims, "If you aren't doing it like I do then, you are doing it wrong"  

It is truly bizarre that this stupid sniping still persists. 

People enjoy this hobby at all levels.  As long as they are having fun, what's the problem? 

• Like 9

Lol, theres a saying amongst fighter pilots

“There are pilots that fly fighters and then there are fighter pilots”

There is a difference but who cares if you are having fun.

Mike

PS Did i mention I was on the front of Aeromodeller Magazine 😂

PPS The only people who annoy me in this respect are the 5min HobbyKing wonders who only fly electric and complain about noisy glow motors.  Or even worse, old farts, who were perfectly happy with glow motors back in he day but are now electric quiet flight zealots 😡 and can’t keep heir opinions to themselves on the field.

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I remember my first and only 'ARF' model. (I won it at  competition).

Some of the glue joints were almost 1mm wide (I suppose that's why 'gap filling cyanoacrylate was invented, it was designed for for inaccurate builders) 🙃

Soon assembled and abandoned the model, it sold within a week at the local model shop 😌

I actually felt sorry for the person that purchased it as I had never before seen a model built from such cheap and crappy materials.

So nowadays I build from that magic material called 'scratch' which is not obtainable in model shops or online and quality control is just down to one person 😉

* Chris *

I fly Freeflight, Control line (badly) and Radio.  Have done for 45 years.

But to be fair to the ARF only guys, its a bit of a job getting into building, even from kits.

Just ordering bits and bobs turns into a massive headache.  Its all mail order and you can never get everything from one place,

Then theres the costs of tools and wood and and and.  I don’t blame people for going down he ARF route.

A lot are pretty good quality these days and way cheaper than building from plans or even kits.

Edited by Martin Harris - Moderator
Edited descriptive term. Please read code of conduct re. use of wildcard characters!
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ernie said:

A sport...mon dieu, As someone very famous said, "If you train for it it's a sport, if you practice it's a game, or a passtime or whatever"

ernie

Not sure about that. Back in 1990 my wife and I were training for a serious Himalayan trek by doing a lot of walking and cycling (ie for a holiday!)  Sadly, I got injured and wasn't able to go but my wife went the following year.

The origins of the of the BMFA is the SMAE. The Society of Model Aeronautical Engineers.

When I fly a plane I am a model plane flyer. If I build a plane from a plan/kit I am an aero modeller. If I build a plane from scratch am I then a model aeronautical engineer? 

Do the semantics of a name really matter?

Considering the amount of time and effort expended I am just a model plane nerd!  

• Like 2