Insanity seems to be setting in

Peter Miller

In my time, many years ago, as a member of the territorial army, I was told by the regimental quarter-master that the toilet paper ration he was allowed amounted to three sheets per man per day. How many men were denied relief and suffered in the interests of the hobby? From memory, I'm surprised that it needed doping, it was naturally impervious to anything!

Thank heavens the RAF were rather more civilised.

I think the doping was to make it stick together

Advert

Much if not all of information on the video posted by David Hassel appears to be correct.

As to the conclusions, that seems to be born out by events and statistics in particularly European countries.

Perhaps due to our relatively favorable environment and experiences in the past, in our county we are complacent, with respect to health issues. Yet looking at a graph of rates of infection in Italy, which is an exponential type of graph, we need to realise that as individuals and a society we are facing a challenge.

The reference to hospital resources in Italy, does highlight the challenge. There is simply insufficient respiratory equipment available there, relative to the need of the patients, needs, as a consequence of the virus. The extent of this situation is that the resources are allocated to those with the best prognosis of recovery and anticipated remaining life. I only saw this reported the once, no doubt because it is an incendiary situation.

As for toilet rolls, it does not seem to be logical. I have read that it is canned food and dried pasta that we should be buying, to enable a family to survive a 14 day quarantine.

I am going to see how much I have in the freezer, cans and dried food. It would not surprise me at a pinch I will be close or even exceed the amounts necessary of basic stuff.

Now I cannot fly on our beach, I do wonder how much flying I will get in, this year. How will our club comply with recommendations if they differ from todays wash your hands 60 times in an hour?

This virus is not trivial, especially to old gets like me.

Posted by Gary Murphy 1 on 10/03/2020 11:28:16:
Posted by Don Fry on 09/03/2020 17:16:58:

Gary, to quote, "The papers and TV news have not done much to help. Its 95% worse scenario and death toll compared to 5% of experts saying ,its pretty much like normal flu."

My reading says flu kills between, numbers vary, about one in a thousand to one in ten thousand of people infected. This one kills about 1 to 2 percent. What basis is there to describe it as normal flu?

My limited knowledge tells me, you can not really stop either type of flu. the symptoms are pretty similar. If not young or old or infirm you will not die,same for normal flu. TB kills more than flu even today,yes I know its harder to contract BUT end of the day its FLU however different it is to WU flu. its not the black plague is it,then I would worry. I have as much chance of dying from wu flu than winning the lottery, again a rough non-expert comparison, I might be several thou or million out but I wont be worrying or stock pilling food.

Sorry Gary. If you care to answer my question, rather than pontificating. This virus has a fatality rate about 50 times greater than common flu. It's not out in the population yet, so it's not killed as many. But describing it as flu is a Trumpism.

Edited By Don Fry on 10/03/2020 17:29:08

I went to my local Tesco Extra yesterday and there was not a Paracetamol tablet, bar of soap, kitchen towel or a bog roll in sight. Visited Poundland and Aldi which had some so bought one pack of four from the latter since I am down to four rolls. I think I may survive for a while. What is the matter with people? It is not quite WW3 and if you don`t get it you will have no future immunity unless a vaccine comes out very soon.

Just waiting for a new model design to come out called Cov-19, Brexit etc.

Remember newspaper as bog roll when I was a lad. My dad told me best way for using it was to crumple it up then open it out, it was a bit less harsh on delicate parts.

Oh, and it was best kept outside under cover like in an outside loo so that the paper was slightly damp -much less harsh on delicate parts

Edited By i12fly on 10/03/2020 22:14:36

I went out with a girl in the 1950's whose mother done cleaning for this wealthy family. One of her jobs was to cut the newspapers into 6" squares and put them in a box in the toilet, when she asked why? the lady of the house replied they were for the family use, the toilet roll was for the guests.

Two old ladies going round Sunday market, one says look Ethel toilet brushes £1eash we have one of them a. Two weeks later they see each other again. First one says hear Ethel how you getting on with that there toilet brush. Ethel replied. Well I'm persevering but the old man has gone back to paper

Posted by Erfolg on 10/03/2020 20:31:19:

I think there was a piece of sponge involved. It has been suggested that it was shared with the neighborssad

Hence the expression to get the "unclean" (expletive removed to comply with forum rules) end of the stick when inadvertently taking hold of the sponge end..

Edited By Shaun Walsh on 11/03/2020 10:28:30

Posted by i12fly on 10/03/2020 22:13:42:

Remember newspaper as bog roll when I was a lad. My dad told me best way for using it was to crumple it up then open it out, it was a bit less harsh on delicate parts.

Oh, and it was best kept outside under cover like in an outside loo so that the paper was slightly damp -much less harsh on delicate parts

Edited By i12fly on 10/03/2020 22:14:36

So do I, most newspaper was recycled either as toilet paper or as chip wrapping paper but never both in tandem, had to draw the line somewhere!

Does anyone remember Izal toilet paper, the concept of greaseproof paper for toilet use was novel. Many years ago my wife worked for the Post Office (before BT was split off and privatised) and the Izal style toilet paper was marked "property of HM Govt" on every sheet but I don't think it crossed anyone's mind to steal it!