The Lockdown Restrictions Have Been Relaxed. Who's Been Flying?

David Davis

Posted by Brian Cooper on 13/05/2020 17:20:49:

After the morning flying session, I came home for some lunch.

I went out again this afternoon. The wind was picking up but it was only blowing at about 15 - 20 mph. . Another great session.

It certainly feels good to be outside for more than just a walk around the neighbourhood. yes

B.C.

Edited By Brian Cooper on 13/05/2020 17:22:14

YLB

Myself and one other member went yesterday, cold and breezy in Yorkshire and both blow the cobwebs away with an enjoyable few hours - damage free.

We are only 15 members with 2 at 2m+ allowed in the pits/flying. If 3/4 then they must wait in the safe zone 10m away (2m apart). If 5/6 then they must wait at least 10m from the pits and 10m from group one, Groups of 2 at 10m Minimum spacing seems practical. In reality it's viewed as a busy day if we get 4. Great to be back in the air, I have missed it smiley

Edited By Ace on 14/05/2020 09:21:13

Here in sunny Kent, we’ve mown the strip, got the green light from the landowner, messaged all 130 members on the do’s, dont’s and “stay alert” scenarios. Saturday is our day. From feed back on our WhatsApp group it’s not going to be a big stampede, luckily. Having a few members over 70 I can see their apprehensions. A couple of points we’ve introduced are where possible, only bring down your most reliable fun plane that doesn’t need a mate to help assembly or hand launch. Models that you can set up, check and fly and then go home with a big grin on your face. Something else we’ve noticed that’s happened during lockdown, is our local non flying public, whom have taken a liking to our open space for exercising, cycling, dog walking and even a socially distanced group yoga class on our beloved patch. So we’ve put up a few little flyers on the entrances and newly made paths, just to remind them that WE ARE BACK ! .. I’m sure some locals will be happy to watch again our model looping the loop etc as they walk their dogs, but be careful as there will be some that will take pictures if we huddle in groups or God forbid pass around the cakes while having a cuppa. Take care everybody we could be judged more closely now.

WE might have been absent from our club patches for a few weeks, but it seems that the "doggy brigade" has been out in force. . . And with fewer people around, the doggy owners have not been cleaning up after their dogs. . These irresponsible people have regarded our patch as a "dog bog". face 19

The result, on our patch, is there are quite a lot of disgusting "little lumps" on our runway. crook

Whilst flying this morning, two big, unleashed dogs playfully ran onto the runway. . A woman, who we had not seen before, was taking them for "walkies" . She was surprised, and slightly irritated, that people were on "her" dogs' playground. . We mentioned the dog poo and asked if she had any poo bags we could use to clear up the mess. . Surprisingly (or maybe unsurprisingly) she didn't have any.

We told her to bugg....... I mean I politely invited her to leave. . and if we ever saw her again, we would take her picture and send it to the police. . She left.

B.C.

Just returned from a great mornings flying There were just 3 of us were there ... we have 14 tables which are now extra widely spaced .. the grass runway was great too .. we recently had it fertilised and weed killer applied by a lawn company while we were closed .

Managed four flights this afternoon - my first for 9 weeks, which I am sure is my longest break from flying for at least 30 years.

Several members at the field during the afternoon but never more than 4 people at a time - not planned, just worked out that way.

With the wind coming over a belt of trees it was a bit "bumpy", but not enough to put anyone off.

Dick

I had a good afternoon, until over exuberance at getting flying again got the better of me. I was performing an inverted spin at full throttle and you know how you can hear the motor is under higher load than normal due to the gyroscopic precession effect on the prop, I suppose I held it for much longer than normal and the ESC let some of the magic smoke out, much to the amusement of the other two people there I had to land an electric model dead stick.

20200513_182905.jpg

Up at the same club as Dick, but don't have the luxury to be able to fly anytime so it was evening flying with one other.

Still as windy as before, but that didn't prevent one flight with an electric trainer and two with a old, tired OS powered Ripmax Nova 40. The Nova was loads and loads of fun on extra high rates despite the blustery conditions and I am really impressed at how well it coped with the conditions. Now engine testing is complete it is destined to go electric and we will see how trainees get on with it in the very distant future (too much other stuff on the building board).

Start your engines ...... !!

p1060409.jpg

p1060410.jpg

A touch of nerves this morning ahead of the first flights since the middle of March. Lovely day to be out and the grass strip just begging to be used.

Took my GoldWing 60cc Corvus (electric) out for a spin - four flights in all. Got most of the aerobatic moves nailed, but still need a bit more practice on the inverted spin......

Great day to be alive. smile d

Went down to a field that I have permission to fly from this morning. I've hardly done any flying since getting back into it and lockdown occurring so a bit nervous.

I started off with my Evolution Fusion which I had flown a couple of times and settled my nerves with that then I decided to bite the bullet and do a maiden launch with my Foam E AcroWot which I purchased during lock down.

The grass was a bit longer than I would have liked and this resulted in a nose-over on the first couple of attempts but, on the third go, I held in up ele and fed the power on a bit more slowly and she was off. Couple of tweaks of aileron and rudder trim then cg check, which was perfect, then enjoy getting back into it.

I love the Acrowot and I hope this year to use it to finally get my 'B' certificate.

I finished off with a few launches of my Strike 3 dlg. There's some containers at the edge of the field and the wind was just right to use them for a bit of sloping and mild DS. Didn't last long but it was fun trying.

Anyway, with being able to get out trout fishing yesterday, 3 caught, flying today and tonight I shall do a bit of Rabbit control, the fee for using the field for flying, then it feels like this outdoorsy type guy is back in the groove.smiley

Went up to our field today to give it its first mow since October, last year! It was in a right old state, but a few hours work soon knocked it back into shape. Then it was play-time!

I've been converting a Micro-Mold Lark to electric power, and this was my first opportunity to trim it out and establish duration on the battery:

I landed after 4 mins with 30% remaining in the battery. The following flight, I pushed it around some large, lazy 8's (sorry, no video!) which it performed really nicely. Electric power has transformed the handling, though the gyro gain is currently a bit high, making it unresponsive and waggy on the tail.
--
Pete

Very nice Pete, gave our strip it's 2nd cut this afternoon and a quick session with my MPX Heron, booming thermal went from 130m to 430m before I chickened out yes which was good as I thought the CAA operator number would affect performance cheeky

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 15/05/2020 19:14:58

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 15/05/2020 19:13:56:

.... and a quick session with my MPX Heron, booming thermal went from 130m to 430m before I chickened out yes which was good as I thought the CAA operator number would affect performance cheeky

If weight would have been an issue, then you could always have just re-printed the label with a smaller font! wink

Great weather so it was IC day for me.

6 flights with no major problems...apart from

• Standing on the Dual Ace prop at home where the wing slammed into my shin and tore the aileron off + broke the servo horn - half hour and all fixed
  • Found a broken wire on the Dual Ace fuselage dual battery supply
  • Found the Acrowot tank bund screw was so loose it nearly fell out - tighten that up
  • Thought I had left the Dual Ace wing tube at home, until I found it in the car from last year

20200515_095542.jpg