XT 60 and XT90S plugs and sockets.

My mate is about to buy a 5000 mAh 3S LiPo  for his Radio Queen. Currently the LiPo and speed controller are connected by XT 60 plugs and sockets. Many of the LiPos of this size come ready fitted with an XT90S plug.

So my question to the cognoscenti is, " Can you plug an XT 90s plug into an XT60 socket?"

Sorry if the question sounds naive but electric flight is neither my strong suit nor my main interest.

Advert

47 minutes ago, David Davis said:

My mate is about to buy a 5000 mAh 3S LiPo  for his Radio Queen. Currently the LiPo and speed controller are connected by XT 60 plugs and sockets. Many of the LiPos of this size come ready fitted with an XT90S plug.

So my question to the cognoscenti is, " Can you plug an XT 90s plug into an XT60 socket?"

Sorry if the question sounds naive but electric flight is neither my strong suit nor my main interest.

No you can't, they look similar but are physically different sizes. You could either make an adapter plug by soldering an XT90 plug to the back of an XT60 socket or cut off the XT90 and solder on an XT60 but you might find the wire a bit heavy to go into the XT60.

I've made up a XT60 to XT30 converter for charging but prefer not to use a adapter for flight as it's another connection to go wrong.

Plain answer is NO. However 90 to 60 adaptors are available. Some say not to use adaptors but I cant see it being a problem with aircraft who's power use is not flat out all the time.

Have used adaptors with other types of connector's without issue.

Thank you gentlemen for your helpful replies.

Am I right in thinking that the XT 60 plug which comes attached to the LiPo is the "female" fitting even though you push it into the "male" socket attached to the speed controller? Am I also right in thinking that the reason for this is because the socket attached to the speed controller contains the positve and negative terminals which fit into the tubes inside LiPo's fitting? I just want to be sure that we order the correct parts!

So complicated this electric flight! A good second hand OS 35 would have powered his Radio Queen at a fraction of the price! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, David Davis said:

Am I right in thinking that the XT 60 plug which comes attached to the LiPo is the "female" fitting even though you push it into the "male" socket attached to the speed controller?

Yes

2 hours ago, David Davis said:

Am I also right in thinking that the reason for this is because the socket attached to the speed controller contains the positve and negative terminals which fit into the tubes inside LiPo's fitting?

Yes the male fits into the female as always. The terminals in our case.☺️

Think of it this way David. If a peice of metal were to fall across the battery connector (or any power supply source), would it be able to short out the battery. The general convention is that it's considered a less likely occurance if the actual connector pins are female rather than male - even though with XT60 and similar connectors the outer shell moulding is the 'male' part.

XT60.JPG.0d273e01e772e093c625b22fcee8c421.JPG

And with higher voltage connectors, would you be able to stick your fingers across the live pins.

Mains.JPG.af0f75ff1736b89239349231bc17d0ff.JPG

3 hours ago, David Davis said:

Am I right in thinking that the XT 60 plug which comes attached to the LiPo is the "female" fitting even though you push it into the "male" socket attached to the speed controller?

An electrical or electronics engineer will tell you that male/female refers to the actual contact pins, regardless of how outer housings fit together. A non-engineer will only look at the plug and socket as a whole. Unfortunately we're outnumbered many to one and so confusion is rife. 🙂

Sticking to the long-standing engineering definition would help avoid confusion but its probably too late for that... 🙂

PS soon the terms M and F will most likely be banned anyway ...   😁😁😁

Edited by Phil Green
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

It is correct to assume that the male and female identity would be the metal, however as pointed out for the use of these battery terminals it is the plastic casing. It caused me no end of problem when I wanted to order connectors as being a former electrician I used the time honoured, and in my view, correct description. Deans are a different matter as its basically metal to metal!!!!

Problem is if the blighters identify as something else!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, paul devereux said:

I'm confused by the above posts. So in this photo, which is the male connector and which is the female? I'm guessing left is male, right is female. Is this correct?

XT60.JPG.0d273e01e772e093c625b22fcee8c421.jpg

Electronic engineers will agree with you. Everyone else will not! 😉😁

• Like 2

The "unit" on the right is less likely to be bridged by something metal to cause a short circuit, this unit is soldered to the battery wires.

At least this was my reasoning when I fitted the "units" to the ESC and battery supplied by 4 max...

Charging leads etc. I made up followed "my reasoning"

When my batteries are stored or "in transit" I plug in a "blanking unit" to reduce further the possibility of a short circuit of the battery.

I also "colour code" the units to further reduce the possibility of incorrect connection.

I try to make the stuff I use as "idiot proof " as possible !

An |XT60 will handle 60 Amps and a 90, 90Amps. I would very much doubt if your Radio Queen would require anywhere near this. If the Lipo comes with a 60 then that is all its wires are expected to carry. Most wiring is fitted with a cross sectional area to cope with the maximum current demand expected from the battery, so fitting a larger connector would be pointless. Having said that I have a new twin ducted fan model which exceeds 60A on a full charge and the XT60 gets a bit hot.

A plug always has pins and a socket, well sockets. We call servo connectors plugs but they are actually female so they are sockets.

David, if you are only going to change 1 or 2 batteries over to XT60s then you might as well buy both male & female then use the "gender" that's not already fitted to the ESC. You really need a spare unconnected mating connector anyway as it's best to plug the one you are going to use to it into in order to minimise the risk of it's pins moving if the plastic body softens due to the heat. I usually clamp the spare connector by it's plastic body in a workmate in this situation.   

General good practice, though not always observed is that

1) connectors on power sources should be the least likely to be inadvertently shorted - this usually means female

2) delicate connectors such as data or video  connectors should be chosen so that the ones on the equipment are the least likely to be inadvertently damaged (bent pins) - it is better to bend the pins in a connector on a replaceable lead than on the valuable equipment 

• Like 1