My current dilemma ( probably one of many ).

toto

Just as the title suggests .... I have a dilemma..... or two.

My current position is this ....... I'm in training mode and will be for some time.

I've bought a couple of suitable trainer type models to indulge my thirst for variety when I achieve solo standard.

Currently, I am assembling my Arising Star .... a high wing trainer which will run on a force 0.46 two stroke glow engine ..... fine.

I also have a Domino ... high wing trainer and a Tiger 60 ..... a low wing trainer.

I want to run a mix of glow and electric. 

I have another force 0.46 engine which I could run in the domino but would like at least one of the high wings to be run on electric as I feel electric is a less fussy way of getting into the air quicker. 

The Tiger 60 I am thinking of going electric as I also have a spacewalker .... another low winter which I have an OS 55ax which I intend to run kn ot.

So .... a good mix of low and high wing and electric versus glow.

My dilemma is what's next for the bench ..... my gut tells me that it should be the domino as the high wings will be easier in terms of stability at these early stages of my flying experience. The only thing that naws away at me is that it would be more interesting in terms of variety to move onto the tiger 60 for the next assembly. However,  is that letting my heart rule my ( sensible ) head ?

None of the above assemblies will start until the Arising Star project is complete or it's a sure fire way of having more commenced " Shelf Queens " than commissioned models.:classic_biggrin:

What's the thoughts of the sensible people? 

And any suggestions on a suitable power house / esc mos for the Tiger 60.

Apologies for the numerous variables chucked into the above. 

Edited by toto

Personally I would finish the Arising Star and get plenty of stick time with that model. The quickest way to learn is to stick with 1 model and fly the pants off it and aim for your A. Once you get there you will find that your next move / plane will be an easier decision. 

• Like 10

Agree with the above, that was the advice I was given by my club tutor and it has accelerated my learning from when I first started a year ago.

Having only flown the one model in all conditions I've got to know it's flying characteristics very well and will now fly it in conditions a lot of club members will not fly in. I've also got to know the engine well, done some tweaks to areas such as the under carriage and and performed repairs because of learner hamfistedness to the wing and fuselage so I also know the airframe and it's weakness's well.

My next model is becoming an easier decision now, but it's whatever works for you. 👍

Edited by PDB
  • Like 4

Fair enough ..... no doubts cast into these responses.

It was more the want to have something else to follow on from the Arising Star assembly than the want to actually fly anything else .... something to keep me occupied and my mojo content but I'll temper my need to keep myself occupied with some good old fashioned " sense checks ".

Looks like when my current assembly is complete, my time in the shed will be replaced by simulator practice ..... I'll hide the tools away.:classic_biggrin:

I'm going to paint all those lovely model boxes a colour that blends into the shed walls so they are not staring me in the face every time I go in. :classic_biggrin:

Toto

Edited by toto
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, toto said:

Fair enough ..... no doubts cast into these responses.

It was more the want to have something else to follow on from the Arising Star assembly than the want to actually fly anything else .... something to keep me occupied and my mojo content but I'll temper my need to keep myself occupied with some good old fashioned " sense checks ".

Looks like when my current assembly is complete, my time in the shed will be replaced by simulator practice ..... I'll hide the tools away.:classic_biggrin:

I'm going to paint all those lovely model boxes a colour that blends into the shed walls so they are not staring me in the face every time I go in. :classic_biggrin:

Toto

Why dont you buy yourself a kit to build, take longer than artf and lots of new challenges, Something like a Wot 4 relatively easy to build and fly and a step forward from your trainer.

• Like 2

I think you have at least one too many high wing trainers there tbh. With the FMS Beaver and the Arising Star I can't see you needing anything else - learn to fly (and repair, if necessary!) the wings off those, and you will be more than ready for something non-trainery. 

PS - Don't sweat the high vs. low wing thing too much; if you can fly a high wing aileron trainer confidently and do all the basic aerobatics in a controlled manner, you will have zero problems with a low or mid-wing model. The difference at that pointwill be mor ein your head than anything!

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 3

First class advice from everyone. Just a few random thoughts......don't get too taken with stability, easy to fly etc. Once you've got a few dozen flights on your high wing trainer and can make it consistently do your bidding rather than the other way around, you'll be surprised just what else you'll be able to fly with little difficulty. Ask your instructor to give your Arising Star a workout in the form of an aerobatic routine - even with the reduced throws for training I think you'll think be surprised at just what it can do and it'll be something to aim for yourself.

As for other models, I'm not saying that you should go out and jump straight to a large and powerful aerobatic model, or a scale model of a type that can challenge even the most experienced flyer, but choose something that's a clean sports design with plenty of power, but can be configured in a manner that suits one at that particular time. Either electric or I/C, whatever you fancy. Building another high winger (unless you have to, if you get my drift) will, I believe teach you very little

IMHO your Tiger 60 and Spacewalker are very nice models and will give you a lot of fun, but I'm not sure that they'll necessarily push you enough to progress in the way that I think that you are wishing to.

I could give you a list of several models that in my opinion would be suitable as follow on's from your trainer, but I'd go by what your instructor advises and also observe the other models that are being flown in your club and get the views of their pilots.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 3

I would build the Domino as a spare or backup for your Arising Star and, if you haven't done this already, get a second transmitter and set it up as a buddy box for both models. Take both to the field and make sure you have everything with you to make them work and learn to get the engines running and tuned yourself. Then the only thing limiting your stick time will be instructor availability and, unfortunately, the weather. If you can be ready to go at the drop of a hat you will get to fly whenever an instructor is free, no excuses, no equipment problems, and, even if you have a 'heavy landing' you have a spare plane in the car ready to go. Your instructor will be happy and impressed and you will get more flying time. If both planes survive then you'll have two good sport models or something to sell on to the next learner who comes along.

• Like 2

It sounds like you want to build. Interestingly I have never considered how easy to fly but only how easy they are to build. I started with easy builds and am progressing to @Peter Miller's Destiny. My belief is that every build is just practice for the next, unfortunately I don't always get them in the correct order, which is why I have a backlog of unfinished models. 

At present stick time is most important for you as long as the build doesn't interfere with that then I see no problem. There are loads of RCM&E plan packs to chose from here Buy Model Planes & Aircraft Plans & Kits from Sarik Hobbies

Steve

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, MattyB said:

" if you can fly a high wing aileron trainer confidently and do all the basic aerobatics in a controlled manner, you will have zero problems with a low or mid-wing model. "

I think you should not take that as meaning you could fly a scale Spitfire or similar model with tapered wings and high wing loading!     Some low or mid wing -yes, but not all.

When choosing a new model look for the wing section - a thick blunt wing section will likely be much easier to fly than other sections because you may well be able to recover  from some mistakes as the model will not speed up too much when hurtling towards the ground.    Therefore the Wot4 with its thick wing section is a favourite model to practice aerobatics after a trainer.   Other models with thick sections and good wing area with little taper are the Avicraft Moronic, the Rival ( plan on Outerzone) Ugly Stik (also on Outerzone), Limbo Dancer etc etc.

Study the designs of Rival, Wot4 etc and note how they look a bit like a trainer but differ in having little or no dihedral ( doesn't right itself like a trainer),  thick wing section and wing close to engine thrust line ( less pendulum effect ) These are the things to look for when choosing the next model - they go where you point them but don't speed up too much after a mistake giving you time to get control back.

1 hour ago, MattyB said:

" if you can fly a high wing aileron trainer confidently and do all the basic aerobatics in a controlled manner, you will have zero problems with a low or mid-wing model. "

I think you should not take that as meaning you could fly a scale Spitfire or similar model with tapered wings and high wing loading!     Some low or mid wing -yes, but not all.

When choosing a new model look for the wing section - a thick blunt wing section will likely be much easier to fly than other sections because you may well be able to recover  from some mistakes as the model will not speed up too much when hurtling towards the ground.    Therefore the Wot4 with its thick wing section is a favourite model to practice aerobatics after a trainer.   Other models with thick sections and good wing area with little taper are the Avicraft Moronic, the Rival ( plan on Outerzone) Ugly Stik (also on Outerzone), Limbo Dancer etc etc.

Study the designs of Rival, Wot4 etc and note how they look a bit like a trainer but differ in having little or no dihedral ( doesn't right itself like a trainer),  thick wing section and wing close to engine thrust line ( less pendulum effect ) These are the things to look for when choosing the next model - they go where you point them but don't speed up too much after a mistake giving you time to get control back.

• Thanks 1

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, but is highly pertinent to your dilemma - at this stage you are at the beginning of learning to fly, with very little stick time. It's most important to get more stick time and to get much more familiar with the flying side. At this stage you most likely don;t really know which part of the hobby is going to provide your main passion - you don;t know whether you prefer to fly (or assemble, build, acquire) larger, high wing cruisers, or faster, more aerobatic models, or 3D type aerobats, or scale models, or high performance hotliners or biplanes - the list of sub-genres and specialities in the range of available models is long and you don't know where you are in that, really.

What that means is that by quickly stacking up a series of models that you aren't actually flying yet, theres a very real risk that you end up spending on models that might end up as hangar queens, because they don;t really float your boat. As the majority have said, it's most imprtant to getthe stick time in, explore the capabilities of your Arising Star and you'll be better informed when the time comes for another model.

• Like 2

Also worth mentioning the possibility of 'burn out'. No, not lipo fires - but what I've seen and wasted a lot of time on when a beginner simply overdoes things, buys far too much gear and models too quickly, and simply gets fed up with the hobby after the initial excitement and buzz of learning wears off. 

Not saying that will happen to Toto, but it can happen to even the most enthusiastic newcomers. Nice and steady progress rather than doing everything at once will win the day for most folks. 

Hi

Wot4 with ailerons was always a good model as a follow on to a high wing trainer.  You don’t have to over power it and it is pretty aerobatic but docile enough when you throttle back.  Ive had three or four over the years and wish i hadn’t given the last one away.

i wouldn’t recommend using  a SuperTigre 90 in it though 🤣

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Haha 1

I'd be happy following that advice not to have me flying 2 or 3 different trainer at the same time. I can u understand why folks say ..... stick to one trainer otherwise you are just adding confusion to your training trying to deal with the individual characteristic of say 3 models.

It wasnt quite what I meant. My intention was to use the Arising Star ( due to the Beaver neingmout of commission for the forseeable future whilst trying to locate spares from the states ) and allow myself to build some others. 

Hopefully one the stick time Improves I will be able to gain solo status in the not too distant future ( meanwhile still assembling ) and when I do get to go solo ...... stick time is in my ( and the weather's) control.

I know that the Arising Star and hopefully a fully repaired Neaver will be my main staple and I'm happy with that but also thought that it would do no harm to start the assembly of others. 

Even more ..... once I think that I am doing ok and want to move on, ..... I am taking the sensible step of simply moving on to other trainer types .... not a conncorde. I have a few other models sitting there.... way beyond my current means ..... I'm happy to let them sit there.

It's just a way tlet me build and when the ti e is right , give me a bit of variety with models suitable for my skill set.

Toto

6 minutes ago, toto said:

It wasnt quite what I meant. My intention was to use the Arising Star ( due to the Beaver neingmout of commission for the forseeable future whilst trying to locate spares from the states ) and allow myself to build some others. 

We need a pic to be sure, but I don't believe you need a spare part to fix that model - see my post in your thread...

35 minutes ago, toto said:

I'd be happy following that advice not to have me flying 2 or 3 different trainer at the same time. I can u understand why folks say ..... stick to one trainer otherwise you are just adding confusion to your training trying to deal with the individual characteristic of say 3 models.

Hopefully one the stick time Improves I will be able to gain solo status in the not too distant future ( meanwhile still assembling ) and when I do get to go solo ...... stick time is in my ( and the weather's) control.

I know that the Arising Star and hopefully a fully repaired Neaver will be my main staple and I'm happy with that but also thought that it would do no harm to start the assembly of others. 

Even more ..... once I think that I am doing ok and want to move on, ..... I am taking the sensible step of simply moving on to other trainer types .... not a conncorde. I have a few other models sitting there.... way beyond my current means ..... I'm happy to let them sit there.

It's just a way tlet me build and when the ti e is right , give me a bit of variety with models suitable for my skill set.

Toto

My point Toto, “to start assembly of others”. I can’t say what you will want. You can’t know. For all I know, you might decide a nice big Piper Cub floats your boat, even a Cub  on floats. Or an obscure interwar fighter. Or a Concorde. Fly the trainers, they were designed to allow you to progress. 
Tell you one thing, and I have done this veil of tears hobby for ever, and I own kits, plans in the junk room, that I wanted to build when I laid out cash, and they ain’t going to happen.

I am a junky, but I have not bought anything today. Learn. 

• Like 1