Where do you stand when taking off?

Geoff S

I used to enjoy watching the scale competition at the Nats but I was always surprised that many (even most) of those experienced pilots stood behind the model on take off and then had to be guided to stand next to the judges for the rest of the flight.  I've taught myself to stand in our pilot box and take-off in whichever direction the wind dictates.

In the case of a scale competition I would have thought it better to view the model in the same way the judges do but what do I know, I haven't even got a 'B'.

So where do you stand?

• Like 1

It depends on the site and the operating conditions there. In general though these days I tend to stand behind the model for take off and then proceed briskly towards the loosely defined pilot's "box".  At previous clubs where that wasn't possible I had no issue whatsoever with standing off to the side for a take of, in a more formally designated pilot's box.  Since quite a few of my models are hand launched then that is typically from on the runway, though it's not usually me launching them.

I stand behind any plane when it's it first flight,( thanks Jon the word is maiden ) the rest of the time where we should be in the pilot's area, when it's too hot

I sit on the edge of our tables under my parasol, when glider flying in the shade of our hanger in a chair.

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon
maiden

Being a solo flyer most of the time with self hand launched models I stand where it is appropriate for the wind direction. As a result I am always directly behind a plane at launch.

When at a club, having gained permission to launch, I take a few steps from the pilots area, launch into wind and then work my way back to the area.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dickw said:

I stand to the side in the pilots box, unless I am hand launching.

Dick

+1

But I've no problem with others standing behind their model for the take off, unless they faff about & obstruct the take off & landing area when they get short shrift from me.

• Like 2

Stand to the side (pilot box) unless hand launching. The busier it gets the more likely someone will not hear you call about heading out on to an active runway...If you are concentrating on your model then you may not be aware of the other aircraft around you.

If the only person on the flight line then do what you want, but being used to standing on the side, that's my preferred place.

• Like 3

From the first lesson I had in the late 90s I stood behind my plane.... if you are running up the engine and checking the surfaces it allow you to place a leg in front of the tailplane either side  and secure the model.... and a great birds eye view of the surfaces. It also allows you direct response to the deflection from thrust .   I went to a club and they looked as though I was silly because I could not get used to the side on stuff.    Seriously why make something difficult !

• Like 1

As far as the scale guys go, I suspect it depends on the model. Many scale models have small wheels, narrow track undercarriages and rudders that are blanketed by the wing during early parts of the take-off roll. Tail-draggers can be particularly challenging in any sort of cross-wind!

Under such circumstances, it is easier to spot a deviation and correct it promptly from behind.

Most of the models we fly are designed with benign take-off and landing characteristics, making standing to one side practical. Many of the full-size versions of the scale models - particularly warbirds - had fairly treacherous ground handling. The Spitfire was particularly notorious, so its no wonder the scaled down versions show similar characteristics!

--

Pete