A puzzle for engine guru's

J D 8

A while ago I was pleased to purchase an Enya 90 advertised as little used for a very reasonable price.Upon arrival an inspection looking in through plug,inlet and exhaust holes showed it had hardly been used at all.

Engine was mounted in an old Freestyle Katana. The engine fired up straight away and ticked over just fine.I then ran it up for two mins,a slight adjustment on the main needel and all was well so a couple of days later off to the strip.

Having operated an Enya 90 in my DB Major Mannock for many years I was lookin forward to flying the Katana [ previously fitted with Irvine 60 ] with a bit more oomph available.

At the field all was as before so off we went. Penty of power but then after three min's it began to labour,thinking it may be over heating I reduced throttle some but shortly after it stopped and a deadstick landing was made.

Thinking it was just one of those things after waiting for other flyers to clear the strip we were off again for the same result. There was no sign of overheating but needle was opened a couple of clicks in case.

On the third attempt it kept going for just two min's and this time the dead stick landing was poorly judged resulting in the removal of the UC.

A few weeks later repairs were compleat and engine runs on the back yard resulted resulted in the same thing,good tickover,run up and down the rev's and hold full full power fine until the three minute mark when it would labour and stop.

All the usual suspects of fuel tank [ removed and replumed with new pipes and preassure checked ] Plug changed [ it was new and of the right type] The twin needle carb was removed and checked for leeks [ more than once,in fact every thing checked several times] Tappets were carefully checked but the result was the same,three minutes was as long as it would run for.

I have operated model [and other] engines for more than 50 years but this time I was stumped,so in the corner it went for a while.

Later I removed the engine from the model to do a compleat strip down but having done so I left it whole on the table while I was working.Several hours later I came back to find the problem had revealed its self.

As a bit of fun would you engine guru's like to hazzard a guess as to what the problem was? Ask any questions you like,but If no one gets it the answer will be shown tomorrow night.

Cheers John

Advert

Difficult to guess as many things can cause engines to go hard or labour before stopping. Were you using exhaust pressure To tank ? If not I would guess from your description a un-vented tank causing fuel starvation or congested crank case/blocked breather.

PS  Enya great  torquey engines and greatly under rated.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 16/11/2017 17:19:59