What was your very first model aeroplane and what year?

First model aeroplane was, I think, a Monogram P-51B Mustang, 1/48th scale, which my Uncle Dave bought for me when I was on holiday visiting in probably 1967-68-ish. First flying model aeroplane would have been a Cox Stuka plastic control liner, probably Christmas 1970. Like Paul's Skyraider, I don't think the Stuka ever flew successfully -one went on eBay for £103 last week. 😮

• Like 2

Keil Kraft Ajax rubber powered free flight model. 1959 I was eleven. I couldn't get the nose block to stay in!

My first r/c model was a St Leonard's Models Gemini designed by Jim Baguley who usually designed gliders. It waspowered by an Irvine 20 and guided by a Sanwa radio. It was not a success so I built a Junior 60 and put the engine and radio into that. I learned to fly on the Junior 60. This would have been in 1988.

Year's later, having kept the Gemini's plan, I built another to prove that I was now able to fly it. This time it was four channel and electric powered. After a few months I gave it away!

Finished Gemini 1 (Small).JPG

J60 in winter.jpg

• Like 2

First model was a rubber powered Veron Sentinel in ~1976.   First radio model was a Snipe, not the KK version but a single channel 049 powered model from aeromodeller feb 1970.  Built when i was 16 in 1979.

This had home built 27mhz radio designed by Cliff Stapelton from the electronics lab at Nottingham Uni and also an Enya 09-III engine (which pepped it up a bit!).

I was very lucky befriending Cliff who walked me through building the 3ch radio. I still use it today on a replica of the snipe after i lost the original a couple a years back.  

snipe4.jpg

PA050817.JPG

rxboard (copper side reversed).jpg

tx inside.jpg

20201106_215027.jpg

Edited by dave windymiller
  • Like 2

Someone bought me a plastic delta, about 10 cm span, lofted by an elastic band. I was about seven. So late 50’s. Hooked. If you launched it upright, (bigger elastic band, power upgrade), it looped, and could debrain the launcher. Angle the launch, it spiralled up. I watched one, caught in a thermal, disappear forever. Magic.

Cheap. 

Then I entered this vale of tears, KK CHAMP.

• Like 2

No idea...something many decades ago...free flight of course,  glider probably, or rubber balsa and tissue, probably 1970 or 71 ish?

First RC a Tauri or Taurus...

First succesful one a gentle lady glider with Acoms RC

First successful power Super 60...best model ever designed...1986.  I still call the man who taught me to fly it my second dad.  He gave me the gift of wings.

• Like 2

First model was a Keil Kraft Senator rubber powered free flight sometime in the mid to late 1950s.

First control line model was a Keil Kraft Joker about 1960.

First RC model, in 1984, was an electric powered glider of about 60inch span designed and kitted by my local model shop.

Dick

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Don Fry said:

Someone bought me a plastic delta, about 10 cm span, lofted by an elastic band. I was about seven. So late 50’s. Hooked. If you launched it upright, (bigger elastic band, power upgrade), it looped, and could debrain the launcher. Angle the launch, it spiralled up. I watched one, caught in a thermal, disappear forever. Magic.

Cheap. 

Then I entered this vale of tears, KK CHAMP.

It was a 'Zeta" I also had one, they were really good fun, those were the days, elastic powered, skeeter, with wheels and a bit bigger was the sleek streak,,,

• Like 2

My first flying model was a KK Gypsy when I was 6 or 7 (1961ish) but my dad built it for me.  I also had a Frog Buccaneer (plastic rubber power) RTF a couple of years later which I saved my pocket money for seemingly ever to buy.  

First build (other than the various little KK free (allegedly) flight scale models) was a KK Snipe with a DC Merlin around 1968. 

First C/L was a Phantom Mite with the Merlin in 1970ish.  I did a “nostalgia” build a few years ago:

First RC was a Sterling Cessna 180 single channel which I built around 1975.  I did a (rather tongue in cheek) restoration of it:

First RC that flew successfully was a Lumpers trainer built a few weeks after the first flight disaster of the Cessna - designed for African bush flying apparently and covered in nylon/dope it was almost bulletproof.  

Which was just as well!

• Like 3

When I was about 8 or 9 I watched a pair of older lads in the local park chucking a huge all wood glider around, doing some adjustments to it, then one of them towed it up on a line. I think it was a kit design called a "Three Footer" with solid shaped balsa wings, tail & stick fuselage. Apart from the amazing glide performance of the model, one thing that stuck in my mind was that when the model was damaged a couple of times they repaired it with an almost instantly acting (it seemed) super glue - balsa cement.

With a birthday coming up I persuaded my parents to give me the money to buy a model plane kit. Full of optimism I went to a model shop in Edinburgh, naively asked advice then came away with a recommended rubber powered Skyleada kit -  a scale Curtiss Wright XP55 Ascender. The box was decorated with drawings of the Skyleada range of scale fighters so I wasn't certain which one I'd got. When I started to try & build it I didn't understand the plan & why the windscreen seemed to be looking backwards at the tail. For those that don't know what the Ascender looks like click here. Needless to say little to no progress was made on that model & I've had a healthy scepticism of shop assistants ever since.   

Around the same period (I can't remember if it was just before or after) during a school break time I saw the Bristol Brabazon fly over very low on it's way to RAF Turnhouse, now Edinburgh airport. It was doing a tour of the country to display our expensive national white elephant to the population. 

Anyway I swapped the Ascender for something to someone even more naïve than me & got (from a different model shop) a Skyleada glider that was designed for beginners. I can't remember what it was called (may have been Fledgling or similar) but it flew. That was followed by a string of Skyleada, Keil Kraft & Veron gliders, rubber powered & Jetex kits plus a few own designs. My first diesel powered FF & C/L models were a KK Pirate & Champ that took turns sharing the same ED Bee.    

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Michael Barclay said:

Control line kit called a "Pinto" with 1.5cc diesel make forgotten. That was in 1961. It didn't fly very well but it got me interested. Built a lot of Bat-wing stunt and combat models with my neighbour Ralph. Happy times with simple planes.

Like the 'Talon' ?, I used to make a couple at a time as they didn't last long, a Russian diesel up front.

Talon.jpg

• Like 2

My first proper engine powered model aircraft was a control line cox 049 plastic spitfire. 1972 it was my 11th birthday. My dad took me to the local park to fly it instead of going to school. Half a lap, then crash, then lots of tears. After getting a new set of wings a week or so later I went out with a friend and we figured it out between ourselves. How quickly the years pass.

• Like 2