We value your privacy pop-up on every page!!

10 hours ago, Denis Watkins said:

The Pop Up has gone

But a small blue sticker remains with choices

Yes, whilst that’s no major issue on a PC or tablet device with a largish screen, it’s very annoying on a mobile. The blue blob takes up quite a lot of real estate, especially when creating or editing a post - this screenshot was taken whilst writing this one…

image.png.6bc57cf2b483665bded2909407d9b8f6.png

• Like 1

The other thing that doesn't seem to have been addressed is the inability to view embedded videos without accepting cookies. That happened at the same time as the pop-up issue started last Thursday.

Perhaps this is the intention... don't agree to cookies and you can't see the videos.

Brian.

22 hours ago, Ace said:

For me its Ron's videos that still won't play having tried reject all and only essential. No way am I accepting all as is my right and should not be penalized if that's the case.

As RR I still can't watch Ron's embedded videos 😥

1 hour ago, Basil said:

Still got that irritating blue circle thing in the left hand bottom corner. I dont remember seeing this before.

Bas

Arrr Bas, never saw that, now I’m fixating on it. Looks like a “I  like cookies button”.

14 hours ago, MattyB said:

Yes, whilst that’s no major issue on a PC or tablet device with a largish screen, it’s very annoying on a mobile. The blue blob takes up quite a lot of real estate, especially when creating or editing a post - this screenshot was taken whilst writing this one…

image.png.6bc57cf2b483665bded2909407d9b8f6.png

I think that is the way the phone is set up, as mine (Samsung/Android/Chrome) doesn't look like that.

DickScreenshot_20240110_232054_Chrome.thumb.jpg.395687b4800e7dc26f9e3a187a4e9500.jpg

7 hours ago, Dickw said:

I think that is the way the phone is set up, as mine (Samsung/Android/Chrome) doesn't look like that.

DickScreenshot_20240110_232054_Chrome.thumb.jpg.395687b4800e7dc26f9e3a187a4e9500.jpg

IMG_5632.thumb.jpeg.1407988b3b36f9249d5c271cce754957.jpeg

If you press Done/Minimise then reopen the keyboard it goes to the bottom not obscuring the reply box anymore.

IMG_5633.thumb.jpeg.dc4fc601d5f623381f55d001d57f8418.jpeg

55 minutes ago, PDB said:

IMG_5632.thumb.jpeg.1407988b3b36f9249d5c271cce754957.jpeg

If you press Done/Minimise then reopen the keyboard it goes to the bottom not obscuring the reply box anymore.

IMG_5633.thumb.jpeg.dc4fc601d5f623381f55d001d57f8418.jpeg

Good tip, but (whilst this is a minor inconvenience in the short term) I still think the root cause that leaves the blue blob displayed should be addressed 1 this is the only site I use that permanently displays cookie options with no option to fully remove.

• Like 1

Ok I've had a reply from the tech' guy....

Speaking personally I can't see a the icon size is so terrible, looks like we'll just have to live with that anyway. 

Cookie icon on mobile devices

"I can’t change the size of this unfortunately, I can change the position from left to right, but that’s about all the customisation options we have. Below is an example of it on an iPhone SE sizes screen which is inline with my Galaxy. There may be some smaller or older phones where the resolution is lower so the icon appears larger. If the consent revisit floating icon was removed users couldn’t change their preferences after accepting/rejecting.

Videos

The notice on embedded content, such as YouTube videos will appear if Cookie aren’t accepted. When YouTube embeds are put into posts, Google sets a cookie, if that cookie isn’t accepted via our Cookie Consent notice, the video won’t play and YouTube puts the notice up to say cookies need to be accepted.

If there’s any users who have accepted all cookies that are still getting the notice, please send me a link to the page they are having issues with. It could be a cookie not categorised properly, or they may be using a browser with ad blocking add-ons running that is disallowing cookies, but I’d need to run some tests."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It is not at all clear why the little blue thing is needed at all.

These sort of preferences are usually hidden away in ones account details and not stuffed in ones face all the time.

Anyone without an account gets what they gets.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Ashby - Moderator said:

Videos

The notice on embedded content, such as YouTube videos will appear if Cookie aren’t accepted. When YouTube embeds are put into posts, Google sets a cookie, if that cookie isn’t accepted via our Cookie Consent notice, the video won’t play and YouTube puts the notice up to say cookies need to be accepted.

@David Ashby - Moderator,  I have only clicked essential which is a legal option then they should play - having to accept full house marketing, tracking etc. is surely not right? I can't watch them on here but if I go to Ron's YT channel they play without any pop up request or further action ?

Edited by Ace
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RedBaron said:

It is not at all clear why the little blue thing is needed at all.

These sort of preferences are usually hidden away in ones account details and not stuffed in ones face all the time.

Anyone without an account gets what they gets.

Exactly. There is absolutely no need for this to be permanently displayed. Imagine what would happen if the BBC did this on their website, or Google, or Facebook, Instagram, X et al... It just needs to be disappeared and moved to a settings/profile page. I understand that this will almost certainly be a property of the forum template rather than how it is configured, but if that's the case then feedback needs to go to the forum team that this decision needs to be revisited.

I am going to bet the Admins a whole Mars bar 😉 that is already going on for other forums that use this software - let's see...

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, MattyB said:

Exactly. There is absolutely no need for this to be permanently displayed. Imagine what would happen if the BBC did this on their website, or Google, or Facebook, Instagram, X et al... It just needs to be disappeared and moved to a settings/profile page. I understand that this will almost certainly be a property of the forum template rather than how it is configured, but if that's the case then feedback needs to go to the forum team that this decision needs to be revisited.

I am going to bet the Admins a whole Mars bar 😉 that is already going on for other forums that use this software - let's see...

It’s a property of the Invision plugin being used, first time I’ve ever seen the reconsent option enabled.

• Like 1

When I was in the RAF, we used to say there were three great lies...."Transport is on the way", "The cheque is in the post"....and one that can't be written here. I think the "Your privacy is important to us" is the fourth great lie of modern life. I know it is a requirement, but years ago it used to be a discrete little banner, now most websites have a huge page blocking banner (at least this one didn't block the page) that seems to give you just enough time to start reading the website before it obscures it. Infuriates me. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ian Dewar 2 said:

When I was in the RAF, we used to say there were three great lies...."Transport is on the way", "The cheque is in the post"....and one that can't be written here. I think the "Your privacy is important to us" is the fourth great lie of modern life. I know it is a requirement, but years ago it used to be a discrete little banner, now most websites have a huge page blocking banner (at least this one didn't block the page) that seems to give you just enough time to start reading the website before it obscures it. Infuriates me. 

…along with “Your call is important to us.”. While you sit hanging on the phone for 40 minutes 😠.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian Dewar 2 said:

“Your call is important to us.”...is just another way of saying that we haven't got enough staff as we are cutting costs..so it's not that important to us!

or...."we are going to keep you hanging on this open premium rate phone line as long as we can so we can post a profit for our customer service department'

Its a scalable svg image, just reduce the width & height 36's to say 12:

<svg width="36" height="36" viewBox="0 0 36 36" fill="none" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg">

Because its an svg, theres no need to change the graphic vectors, just the window size,

At 12x12 its quite unobtrusive but still usable if need be:

image.png.c320f8d70cff3a625c3bcfb2a74b5073.png

Edited by Phil Green
  • Confused 1