The Big Question ?

RICHARD WILLS

No problem Richard.

1. Mossie, as described above, dolly launch, belly land, nae flaps, 64" span and I'd be happy to rig such a beauty at the field.

>>>

2. Hellcat, 55'60" ish, dolly launch, belly land

3. P-47 Thunderbolt, Razorback, 55-60" ish, dolly launch, belly land, postscript retract option, like the FW190 intention?

• Like 1

In the interest of growing skills, retracts preferred. 
Single engine also preferred (I’ve already got motor etc.), Sea Fury would be perfect but a P47 razorback would do just fine. 
Twin would also add a skill so I’d probably go for it even though lower down my personal list, and a Mossie would be perfect in that instance. I'd add retracts if they were available. 

• Like 1

2x3s or 4s max for me

With or without retracts/flaps

any of the 'cats would suit me

Simple, crutch and foam wing type build

Like LM above, even though a mozzie isn't 'up there' for me I would probably go for just to add diversity

Nothing too big or a pain to disassemble/reassemble as somebody didn't check for folding seats when buying a saloon.......

• Like 1

Richard knows what he’s doing & all comments make perfect sense 

1st choice. P47  ( either version or both )

2nd choice  ( sorry guys ) B25 solid nose version but would have mossie as a very very close second 

3rd choice (too many so not to up set the apple cart I would go with majority)  probably seafury 

all subject to the bank manager releasing funds  aka. The wife

andy

• Like 1

The good thing with the P47 and Mossie is that both could take retracts later , so appeal to a greater number . 

Regarding size and practicality , I foolishly bought an Audi A4 saloon a couple of years back , so everything has to wriggle in the side door or boot . 

That is a good "control " since even a VW Polo is a better plane carrier . 

Hanger space is also an issue for many so storage size is a consideration . 

• Like 2

I'd be interested in a twin as I've got a Spitfire and dont need anything  similar. so a Mosquito but only if retracts were an option as dolly take offs don't interest me. 

The  proper take off landing part is all part of the fun. 

• Like 3

I built a WR Spitfire a few years ago and it was great (since sold on), but although I’ve followed this and similar threads over the years I haven’t been in a position to join in any of the builds. That might be resolving soon, and I would definitely buy a Mossie if that’s the way this goes. With retracts please, not a dolly fan.

• Like 1

Converting the Tempest kit to produce the Sea Fury seems an absolute no-brainer to me as it would be so easy to do and I'm sure would get plenty of sales so definitely top of the list.

Thunderbolt is an interesting idea but not really for me so my vote would go for the Mosquito as the next "new" design. It's about time I had a twin-engined model.

• Like 1

In Praise of Twins:

(Extracted from my contribution of 21/12/23 and edited to make the bullet points more pointy...)

My spec:

• Sleek, simple twins are best because they have less complicated airframes (e.g. Mossie 'in', Black Widow 'out') 
  • capitalise on the widespread availability of (what I call) the 'standard' sport electric set up:
    • 11 x 5-8" prop. 
    • 35XX 900-1200kv motors,
    • 40/60 A ESCs and
    • 2200-3000 3S or 4S LiPos (x2) 

Pretty much everybody must have this kind of set up in their stash - at the lower end of the ranges I mention, it's the standard set up in the Wot 4 foam-e.                   (I've got several 🙂 )

• No u/c.  With the above gear a model can be sized large enough to have some 'presence' but is still easy to hand launch (either self or helper) and can belly land without incident.
    • OR conversely - big enough to add retracts if you really want them

If you're looking for attractive prototypes that are popular, yet not already done to death, then a practicable twin is the way to go.

Top of my leaderboard:

• Whirlwind
  • Beaufighter (or fort) (something like the old Flair kit)
  • Mosquito (in 3rd 'cos it's already been 'Nijhuised' in a couple of sizes)

Wildcards:

• Hudson
  • Petlyakov PE2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1