Spring is here again - who's been flying?

First time to the flying field this year having just about got over from serious illness, a case of one of the new flu's going about caught at the end of February.

Arrived at the field only to find out our strip that had only had a good tidying and rolling the weekend before had been trashed by🤬 badgers. Was able to fly my old ARC Jupiter but had to take care where to touchdown there were several damaged area's. Others were put off from flying.😒

Excellent day yesterday, despite the strengthening wind and rather better flying conditions this morning, plenty of blethering and a decent turnout too. What could possib,y go wrong?

Well....I pranged my favourite Mustang 😞 Left the landing just a smidgen too late and as I turned onto the base leg with full flaps and gear down, the battery ran out, prop stopped and the model plummeted to the ground. I didn't even get to raise the flaps and gear before she hit hard. Repairable but snapped the fuselage in half, snapped the hatch in half, canopy off, broken prop, wing mounting plate torn out and retract mounting with a chunk of leading edge torn out. She'll fly again, no doubt, but probably not as Dallas Doll - already thinking of a refinish as a 65 squadron Mustang IV.

That's a bit odd, didn't the BEC cut in and give you a bit of time to land without the motor?.

A mate of mine ran his battery to low today, the motor stopped, but all the flight controls worked and allowed him to get down ok.

Gutting when this happens, hope it goes back together ok!.

10 minutes ago, SIMON CRAGG said:

That's a bit odd, didn't the BEC cut in and give you a bit of time to land without the motor?.

A mate of mine ran his battery to low today, the motor stopped, but all the flight controls worked and allowed him to get down ok.

Gutting when this happens, hope it goes back together ok!.

It didn't get to LVC. but I was just over time for a normal flight and the battery voltage was down on the low side when I recovered the model. I still had some control, but have found that you definitely need to keep the power on when the flaps are deployed. If I'd been landing without flaps it would have been fine.

Have got the bits on the bench and they all fit back together fine. It won't be a complicated repair and there's minimal crushing/ I'll probably refinish the model as a RAF Mustang IV, rather than the current USAAF scheme.

I’m cream crackered, up at the field at 8.30 this morning, just got back at 18.15, what day. Brilliant weather, sunshine throughout and very light winds, even down to a T shirt for a lot of the day. First flight of the Laser 310FT powered Giant Revolver, engine was run for the first time with no adjustments from factory settings, didn’t miss a beat and was a beast! It was also the inaugural round of the Hanky Planky Wacky Races, boy was it a laugh, more about that later on the other thread. 

• Like 5

Not had so much fun in one day as I did today. I was a late arriver at 9am and arrived home at 5.30pm. A little crispy round the edges, but thoroughly satisfied with my day.

Maidend my Hanky Planky and took part in the Wacky Races. Did not score a single point, but it really was the taking part.

Pulled of a spectacular save with the Freewing Vulcan. I was being egged on to go "lower". Model kissed the deck, fortunately on the grass and I pulled off a save that I could never repeat. Flew the remaining circuit and made one of my better landings.

• Like 1

Glad you had a great time at Ospreys Keith.

I was at Colchester MAC today lovely conditions and maidened a Nigel Hawes design Tucano that flew nicely and set up a new member's Boomerang trainer and maidened that for him. He had done a lot of good work as a total novice and always great to see their faces when they see their creation fly for the first time. 

I didn't actually fly yesterday because I was too busy doing other things and didn't arrive at the flying field until 5pm, besides the wind was across the runway which is not a good thing for a three channel model. I took my Baron to the flying field to test its fuel consumption. I shall be flying it in La Coupe Des Barons competition in June and I've fitted a Thunder Tiger 54 FS and a SLEC 4 oz tank which converts to 113.6cc. Having started the engine it ran for over ten minutes at maximum speed before running out of fuel. I calculate that it's using a little over 11 cc per minute. As each flying round lasts five minutes I could get away with a 90cc tank thereby saving a little weight and still have enough in reserve for swanning about waiting for the starting signal. Only the pylon race requires flat out flying from the start.

Fuel consumption test.jpg

On 16/04/2023 at 17:12, leccyflyer said:

Excellent day yesterday, despite the strengthening wind and rather better flying conditions this morning, plenty of blethering and a decent turnout too. What could possib,y go wrong?

Well....I pranged my favourite Mustang 😞 Left the landing just a smidgen too late and as I turned onto the base leg with full flaps and gear down, the battery ran out, prop stopped and the model plummeted to the ground. I didn't even get to raise the flaps and gear before she hit hard. Repairable but snapped the fuselage in half, snapped the hatch in half, canopy off, broken prop, wing mounting plate torn out and retract mounting with a chunk of leading edge torn out. She'll fly again, no doubt, but probably not as Dallas Doll - already thinking of a refinish as a 65 squadron Mustang IV.

pumping the throttle can often give you a little extra juice  to make it over  the runway threshhold , but yours was too far out

Been today (Monday 17th) at a club I have just joined, Goosedale, as ever friendly bunch of blokes. Only had a couple of flights as the sun was coming out and left sunglasses behind. The WOT 4 MkII is a cracker.

And the weather looks rubbish till next week doh!

44 minutes ago, john davidson 1 said:

pumping the throttle can often give you a little extra juice  to make it over  the runway threshhold , but yours was too far out

Aye, too far to get back to the field - I'd have had a chance if I could have got the flaps up and the nose down. Anyway, all the bits fit together fine and the new markings are already ordered for the refinish.

The wee red tailed Eachine Mustang faired better on Saturday. 😄

eachinemustang3.thumb.jpg.05d26e425954333388c61a791bc4e2ee.jpg

• Like 3

Flew all Sunday morning, well between the banter, coffee, and cake there was some flying. then this evening after work for a pleasant hour or so. The GTC is performing extremely well although the rudder - yaw, pitch coupling takes a bit of getting used to. Its ability to bunt as well as its loop is almost too much fun!

The CanDoo is just weirdly different and don't get me wrong its not hard to fly. Perhaps because it has no rudders or its tendency to yaw into tight turns just just reminds you to keep in front of it! I have upped the throws and it responds well to some stick bashing without and signs of bad behaviour. 

This evenings models of choice!

image.thumb.png.05a52e004cb13a8a0568802637a35a92.png 

and a photo of the field just for good measure

image.thumb.png.10ce7f7b5c166ef68589f05042a7df15.png

• Like 4

Maidened my latest foam board build today. 6ft span Sunderland based on the Tony Nijhus plan  it flew great, took off in about 10ft and looked right on half throttle. Canopy and turrets made from lemonade bottles, also the cowls which have to be fitted now I am happy with the motors which are more than adequate. 

Painting to follow. 

20230429_143235.jpg

Edited by Eric Robson
  • Like 6

Belting day today, but terrible lighting, so no piccies. Calm or with very light winds, but freezing cold, with snow showers on the way to the field, which luckily we didn't see any of at the field itself. Got some good flights and my best landings yet with my EFlite Corsair and SE5a, including the rare event of being able to taxi back to the flightline. Came home with more models than I went to the field with as well, which was a bonus. Heavy rain forecast for tomorrow.