We value your privacy pop-up on every page!!

The tech response I've rec'd is...

"We have implemented Cookie consent module that appeared to be blocking something that was required, there's an issue with it not remembering peoples selections that I'm waiting for a response from the vendors support on."

That must be the little blue disc that's now appearing bottom left.

Hopefully just a short term niggle. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Dear Moderators

Please could you tell the forum fiddlers not to fiddle with an online live system.

It does not take a lot of imagination to understand that fiddling should only be done with an off-line test system.

If a fiddler fiddles and seriously damages a live system then the rule is do not go home until a working backup version has been reinstalled

At about mid night yesterday, not only did we still have the silly pop ups, it was also not possible to post and also when hovering the mouse over a members button at left the post/rep information did not pop-up

All of this is quite indefensible for anyone claiming to be a programmer.  This knowledge was available back in the mid/late 1950s. There should not be any short term niggles if people are working correctly. To me it sounds like a major failure not an STN.

I think that we the paying members deserve to be warned in advance of any silly fiddle and told what is changing. It would be even better if ALL potential changes were put to a members vote before implementing.

If as David suggests this is a vendor problem then stop paying the vendor and find some professional to do the job.

Thank you 

RedBaron

• Thanks 1

Having done a fair bit of low level (assembler/ 'C' etc) programming myself some years back, I agree with Red Baron.  However, we've still got the annoying Cookie reminder every time we change a page view.

I often found that when I deleted code I'd written but couldn't see why I'd done it in the first place that I discovered its purpose and quickly reinstated it 🙂

• Like 1

It seems pretty clear to anyone who has even a basic understanding of IT protocol that this is a backend issue, and the vendors server has a frequency block imposed on this particular website. I learned as long ago as 1965 that the easy remedy for most such problems is to re establish a hyperlink with the appropriate server, so that the frontend of the positronic path is effectively bypassed, and we can all get back to normal...Problem solved

ernie

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, RedBaron said:

Dear Moderators

Please could you tell the forum fiddlers not to fiddle with an online live system.

It does not take a lot of imagination to understand that fiddling should only be done with an off-line test system.

If a fiddler fiddles and seriously damages a live system then the rule is do not go home until a working backup version has been reinstalled

At about mid night yesterday, not only did we still have the silly pop ups, it was also not possible to post and also when hovering the mouse over a members button at left the post/rep information did not pop-up

All of this is quite indefensible for anyone claiming to be a programmer.  This knowledge was available back in the mid/late 1950s. There should not be any short term niggles if people are working correctly. To me it sounds like a major failure not an STN.

I think that we the paying members deserve to be warned in advance of any silly fiddle and told what is changing. It would be even better if ALL potential changes were put to a members vote before implementing.

If as David suggests this is a vendor problem then stop paying the vendor and find some professional to do the job.

Thank you 

RedBaron

I agree 100% this is completely unacceptable for a live system. Someone in IT needs to be fired. From a lifetime in IT, middle managers often have bonuses based on pushing out 'upgrades' even though the programmers know a release isn't ready. Speculation in my part of course. But they should also be able to back out a change and restore the previous version toot-sweet.

1 hour ago, RedBaron said:

I think that we the paying members deserve to be warned in advance

Well we don't actually pay money unless we buy RCME but the contributors provide the content which gives the site something to attract advertisers so I suppose contributors 'pay' by contributing their expertise.   Lets face it there is a huge amount of expertise available here on the forum.   We need this forum but the forum is nothing without it's contributors!

You think this is bad, I used to frequent the Model Engineer forum (also Morton's) the ME site now it has been updated is dire and understandably the users are throwing thier toys out. The ME forum has become the worst forum site I have ever visited and very rarely go there now. Probably the same techies that run this place too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Futura57 said:

I agree 100% this is completely unacceptable for a live system. Someone in IT needs to be fired. From a lifetime in IT, middle managers often have bonuses based on pushing out 'upgrades' even though the programmers know a release isn't ready. Speculation in my part of course. But they should also be able to back out a change and restore the previous version toot-sweet.

Annoying, but not unacceptable on something we get free.

Someone should be fired? For making a mistake? Seriously?

I also spent a life (35 years) in IT, and no middle managers ever got bonuses based on pushing out upgrades that weren't ready...... that would be called Underperforming........

I'm sure they'll fix it when they can.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Ernie said:

It seems pretty clear to anyone who has even a basic understanding of IT protocol that this is a backend issue, and the vendors server has a frequency block imposed on this particular website. I learned as long ago as 1965 that the easy remedy for most such problems is to re establish a hyperlink with the appropriate server, so that the frontend of the positronic path is effectively bypassed, and we can all get back to normal...Problem solved

ernie

Any chance of that in English Ernie. I can code but buts goobldy gook to moi.

• Like 2

On 04/01/2024 at 13:46, Don Fry said:

I don’t normally moan but that is mind numbing awful and annoying. Be grateful I suppose, that the techie is writing code here, and not a nuclear power plant. I’m off till it’s  fixed. 

Thing is, nuclear power plant quality software costs a bit much. We never have the forum if we wanted that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I must congratulate RCME for the speed they addressed the "unable to post" issue due to the "small reply box" presented at the bottom of each page, it was less than 1 character deep! 

I had to email RCME as I couldn't report the problem to the web site!

It appeared at the same time as the privacy notice addition so this is my first post since then.

More a comment than a grumble but the "privacy" update situation does rather show what a relatively innocent change can lead to. It is hard to believe the repeated "pop up" did no show in testing. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Simon Chaddock said:

More a comment than a grumble but the "privacy" update situation does rather show what a relatively innocent change can lead to. It is hard to believe the repeated "pop up" did no show in testing. 

That's an assumption Simon.  :classic_rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Nigel R said:

Thing is, nuclear power plant quality software costs a bit much. We never have the forum if we wanted that.

The Post Office Horizon software supplied by Fujitsu cost a billion pounds according to the ITV programme 'Mr Bates versus the Post Office' and no-one has disputed the cost so I assume it's correct.  That caused a lot more problems than the one we're complaining about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If the silly little blue button for consent preferences at lower left is part of the cause of the pop-up problem

I would recommend getting rid of it as it seems to provide no useful function. Most/all  other websites handle this matter much more discretely.

Though I guess the vendor has gone home for the week end?