Anyone else notice it's windy?

paul devereux

I'm usually up at about 4 - 5am. Normally, I'd been able to get some flying in just after dawn, as the sun is rising above the horizon- the air is normally flat calm then and as a beginner I can practise without having to factor in the wind. But for the last two weeks (and for the next two weeks according to the forecast) it has been windy enough to bend the tops of even mature trees all day and all night. I'm on the South Coast.

So I can't fly. Do more experienced pilots manage to fly in this weather? Should I be learning to fly in windy conditions? Is this weather even normal?

Yes, breezy here on NE coast as well.

I'll fly up to about 20 mph but have to choose the right model for wind speed and direction.

I'd say that in order to maximise your flying time, you will need to learn how to fly in the wind. Initially get your instructor involved, then practice on your own. Note the bold, italic, words above.

• Like 1

A recently signed off newbie here and not yet has a day in Wiltshire been unflyable, the words in bold above sum it up perfectly.

On days when lighter weight models have found the wind too strong a 40 sized trainer, Boomerang in my case, has performed admirably.👍

Edited by PDB

In the nineties and early noughties we used to get marvellous calm evenings when it was perfect to fly until it got dark. I can't remember the last time I saw one of those. It's usually calm early on before the sun gets up but it's quite rare to stay calm for a large part of the day, the wind is generally getting lively by late morning, round these parts. Probably all part of climate charge, with more energy in the atmosphere.

If you don't learn to fly with some wind then your flyable days are going to be significantly reduced in number. It's about being comfortable and having the right model for the particular conditions. The other thing to remember is that it's a hobby -it's supposed to be fun and if your particular comfort level is 10mph wind, or 20 mph wind then it's just good airmanship as well as maximising your enjoyment to ask yourself before every flight - do I want to make this flight and can I make it safely? There are no passengers relying on you to get home, or to go about their business.

As your flying competence grows you will probably become more confident at flying in a wider speed range and, most importantly wind direction. If you become happy to fly and handle a large crosswind component of take off and landing you'll increase the number of flyable days again.

If you fly on the slope you'll also be able to ponder that age old question of why you would be happy to fly in windspeeds that your flat field models would never even be taken out of the car. 😉

• Like 3

3 hours ago, paul devereux said:

I'm usually up at about 4 - 5am. Normally, I'd been able to get some flying in just after dawn, as the sun is rising above the horizon- the air is normally flat calm then and as a beginner I can practise without having to factor in the wind. But for the last two weeks (and for the next two weeks according to the forecast) it has been windy enough to bend the tops of even mature trees all day and all night. I'm on the South Coast.

So I can't fly. Do more experienced pilots manage to fly in this weather? Should I be learning to fly in windy conditions? Is this weather even normal?

Yesterday I was flying my little 3 channel Veron Mini Robot in 15mph wind, the model didn't take any notice of the wind and flew around perfectly. I did have in my favour that I was in the middle of a field with no trees nearby. The only issues I have with the wind is when there is turbulence caused by nearby trees and hedges when coming in to land.

Keep on flying.

2 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

It has been breezy and  gusting  in East Anglia for days and the forecast shows no let up for up to two weeks.

The high pressure is sitting in the wrong place

Dragging cold air down from the north as well. 

2 hours ago, Outrunner said:

Yesterday I was flying my little 3 channel Veron Mini Robot in 15mph wind, the model didn't take any notice of the wind and flew around perfectly. I did have in my favour that I was in the middle of a field with no trees nearby. The only issues I have with the wind is when there is turbulence caused by nearby trees and hedges when coming in to land.

Keep on flying.

If you can't fly a Mini Robot in it, then it is too windy !  :classic_smile:

kevin b     MIni Robot appreciation society.

Edited by kevin b
  • Like 1

Regrettably, it has steadily been getting windier for the last 25+ years. 

Years ago a wind speed of 15mph would have kept most models on the ground. . Nowadays, this is fairly normal.... and then the heavy gusts make it even more sporty. 

I feel sorry for the beginners having to learn the "trade" in these rougher conditions. It can be a harsh school. 

It's okay for the experienced pilots.  With the right model, wind can can be fun to play with.  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Brian Cooper said:

Regrettably, it has steadily been getting windier for the last 25+ years. 

Years ago a wind speed of 15mph would have kept most models on the ground. . Nowadays, this is fairly normal.... and then the heavy gusts make it even more sporty. 

I don't disagree that there appears to be some climatic changes in terms of the predominat wind directions and the times in the day when we are more and less likey to to see windy (or calm) weather. However, the data from the likes of the Met Office does not support that it's generally getting more  windy - if anything it's the opposite:

Wind

• With the notable exception of storm Arwen, the year was less stormy than most other years in recent decades.
  • There have been fewer occurrences of max gust speeds exceeding 40/50/60 Kt for the last two decades compared to the 1980s and 1990s.
  • The UK annual mean wind speed for 2021 was second lowest in a series from 1969.
  • The UK annual mean wind speed from 1969 to 2021 shows a downward trend, consistent with that observed globally. However, this series must be interpreted with some caution.

https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/JOC.7787

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since when did we believe what the Met Office tell us ?

The information they have given is strength, not volume and they only appear to be interested in excesses.

Where I have lived for the last 30 years all the trees seemed to grow in the same direction at an angle.

Over the last 2, or three years the younger trees appear to be leaning in a different direction and by not as much.

We just have to make the best of any flying opportunities we get and I consider myself to be fortunate that I am now retired.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Not just models, I'm learning to fly full size. Monday was 043 Deg & 22Kts average for the 4 forecasts for our site on the Met forecast. It might have started at 22kts but must have been gusting 30+ when we landed at 11:00. Instructor & I both agreed that a lot would have been airsick as it was so bumpy. AT one point our Warrior dropped 200ft.

Luckily because its 7 months since my last lesson my instructor did the landing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kevin b said:

Since when did we believe what the Met Office tell us ?

The information they have given is strength, not volume and they only appear to be interested in excesses.

I know alleging “fake news” is near standard these days whenever any stats are presented by any authority agency, it seems a little strange to suggest the Met Office. They have a network of 150+ stations reporting daily data for decades; why would they make it up?

Re: your second point in excesses, if you read the report there are a page or two of content about average wind speeds; they admit there are no huge trends in either direction, but the balance of data suggests a slight calming vs previous decades.

EAAAA431-D0CA-4F15-A329-CBEDC785B8AA.thumb.jpeg.f7dd4fff37e57aebb2750d1b4983a836.jpegB03ABC45-CA9C-4229-8496-7A077DDED7F2.thumb.jpeg.a64ab93661f845e26a07f654c4b1e292.jpeg
EE958FE0-6E50-4DBF-9B8D-E25144A84092.thumb.jpeg.a5b43d964fa2ddf954e64dac6aa1700e.jpeg

• Like 2

Yep, often windy in the north west. But then again there is ‘smooth wind’ and ‘turbulent wind’.. don’t you think?. I’ve gone thinking it will be windy and it is but a constant and predictable wind which is fine. Then there are times when the forecast doesn’t appear too bad, but it’s bouncing all over and you up your concentration. I too often like to fly lightweight foamies in a breeze, yes they get knocked about a bit but are always fully controllable. I have lost count of the times folk arrive with their weighty high wing loading whatever’s declaring ‘better penetration”!!. Ooo err.. only to be reaching for the bin liners when they get too slow downwind.. I say nowt and keep my thoughts to myself and enjoy that I’m out and having fun. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

It seems obvious to me.  If you have a dairy farm, you produce milk, arable farms produce grain and vegetables, sheep farms meat and wool etc. etc. There’s been a proliferation of wind generators and wind farms - so there’s far more wind being produced. 

Exactly! And we had to abandon tidal generators because they were making the Moon wobble on its axis.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, paul devereux said:

Exactly! And we had to abandon tidal generators because they were making the Moon wobble on its axis.

And presumably all this sunshine we’ve had recently is down to the proliferation of solar farms we have now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1